Proposal: Vancouver Canucks-Winnipeg Jets ("A Hockey Trade")

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Listen everyone west of Toronto is the west coast everything east is the east coast. Any questions?

:P

LOL! 15 years ago I flew to Toronto from Edmonton where I live and my brother greeted me with "Welcome to Canada" We both laughed at his joke but your post just reinforces that opinion of Toronto is the centre of the universe. Winnipeg is as far from the west coast as Toronto is from the east coast. After all Winnipeg is in the Central time zone because they are more or less central in the country.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Makes zero sense for the Canucks do this. Trading this years first round pick should be completely off the table unless it's an insane offer.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
This makes no sense at all for either team. Winnipeg is trying to win and has no need for picks. Vancouver is rebuilding and wants their pick.

Winnipeg will most likely be in cap hell next season so trading players that doesn't apparently want to play for the Jets for picks and prospects is not a bad move. Now if Trouba wants to sign long term with the Jets at a price that is fair for him and the team within the cap then trading him for picks is not on the table.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Sorry bud, you're the one who is out his mind. It doesn't matter to the Jets if Trouba won't resign with Vancouver. No contending team, like Winnipeg is giving up a top pairing, young RHD for a pick that won't help them for at least 3 years. It makes the Jets worse to do that. I'm not sure how you don't understand that.

If Trouba won't sign long term at a price that is fair to him and the Jets cap situation what do the Jets do? They will not get equal value with Trouba one year away from UFA. I am assuming he plays all of this season for the Jets and the Jets trade him next off season. Should they bridge him one more year and then let him walk? Add to the fact that both Laine and Conner need new contracts next season I don't see how the Jets get anything other then A prospects and draft picks for Trouba. Trouba could have a great year this season but his trade value only drops for the Jets because he is unsigned long term. The Jets cap situation and the fact that Trouba will not sign long term has made his trading value drop big time for the Jets. Getting picks and prospects might be all the Jets can get for him given this situation. Getting that is much better then letting a quality RHD in his prime walk in 2 years time.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Winnipeg will most likely be in cap hell next season so trading players that doesn't apparently want to play for the Jets for picks and prospects is not a bad move. Now if Trouba wants to sign long term with the Jets at a price that is fair for him and the team within the cap then trading him for picks is not on the table.

Contending teams don't make their teams weaker to fix cap problems that might arise in a year. They stay strong and competitive, and will trade salary next summer if they have to.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
If Trouba won't sign long term at a price that is fair to him and the Jets cap situation what do the Jets do? They will not get equal value with Trouba one year away from UFA. I am assuming he plays all of this season for the Jets and the Jets trade him next off season. Should they bridge him one more year and then let him walk? Add to the fact that both Laine and Conner need new contracts next season I don't see how the Jets get anything other then A prospects and draft picks for Trouba. Trouba could have a great year this season but his trade value only drops for the Jets because he is unsigned long term. The Jets cap situation and the fact that Trouba will not sign long term has made his trading value drop big time for the Jets. Getting picks and prospects might be all the Jets can get for him given this situation. Getting that is much better then letting a quality RHD in his prime walk in 2 years time.
So, you're proposing the Jets use the "panic" strategy and trade Trouba for the first half decent offer that comes along. From the news we've heard lately, it may all just be money with Trouba, so he may still sign long term.

If he doesn't and the Jets end up trading him next summer we'll be fine. A young, top pairing RHD is one of the rarest players in the NHL. Trouba will get a huge return if traded next year. No need to panic.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Contending teams don't make their teams weaker to fix cap problems that might arise in a year. They stay strong and competitive, and will trade salary next summer if they have to.

Jets would sign Trouba long term if he wanted to sign at a fair market price that the Jets can afford under the cap. He has proven that the Jets are not in his long term plans. Contending teams do sign their young core long term as long as they want to sign with the team. Trouba has proven that this is something he does not want to do. Under this situation the Jets either sign him again for a 1 year deal next summer and let him walk in 2020 getting nothing in return or trade him next summer for what ever you can get and if that is picks and prospects so be it. Trouba's value to the Jets has drop to the point they will not get a NHL ready player of equal value. Getting something for him is better then nothing at all if he walks. That said I hope Trouba decides to sign long term with the Jets but I don't think this is going to happen.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Jets would sign Trouba long term if he wanted to sign at a fair market price that the Jets can afford under the cap. He has proven that the Jets are not in his long term plans. Contending teams do sign their young core long term as long as they want to sign with the team. Trouba has proven that this is something he does not want to do. Under this situation the Jets either sign him again for a 1 year deal next summer and let him walk in 2020 getting nothing in return or trade him next summer for what ever you can get and if that is picks and prospects so be it. Trouba's value to the Jets has drop to the point they will not get a NHL ready player of equal value. Getting something for him is better then nothing at all if he walks. That said I hope Trouba decides to sign long term with the Jets but I don't think this is going to happen.
So they trade him next summer. They don't trade him and make their team weaker today. It's also very possible that Trouba decides to stay if the Jets are a contender. Maybe he wanted to leave because the team was bad. Or maybe he didn't even want to leave, its all speculation really.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
So, you're proposing the Jets use the "panic" strategy and trade Trouba for the first half decent offer that comes along. From the news we've heard lately, it may all just be money with Trouba, so he may still sign long term.

If he doesn't and the Jets end up trading him next summer we'll be fine. A young, top pairing RHD is one of the rarest players in the NHL. Trouba will get a huge return if traded next year. No need to panic.

Didn't say that at all. You trade him for the best deal you can get if he will not sign long term. The days of getting equal value back are gone for the Jets in the Trouba situation. If Trouba will not sign long term next summer that is a signal to the rest of the league that he wants to go elsewhere. That brings his value down and that is when the Jets may look at getting prospects and picks for a return for Trouba especially since they have to resign Laine and Conner preferably on long term contracts. Again I hope Trouba signs long term but so far he as given every indication that is not something he wants to do. Trading Trouba for picks and prospects next summer is better then letting him walk for nothing in 2020.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
So they trade him next summer. They don't trade him and make their team weaker today. It's also very possible that Trouba decides to stay if the Jets are a contender. Maybe he wanted to leave because the team was bad. Or maybe he didn't even want to leave, its all speculation really.

Please re read my post I always talked about trading Trouba next summer. Trouba is a Jet all of this season. Never said that he should be traded until next summer and only if he will not sign long term. If he will not sign long term next summer then trading him for picks and prospects is better then letting him walk in 2020 for nothing. If Chevy can get better then that, great but don't count on it. Jets best chance to win a cup is this season while Conner and Laine are still on their ELC so trading Trouba now would be crazy. Please respond to what I actually post and not what you think I'm saying.

Last edited:

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

I think they would if it's a deal like this where they get a young player who likely will contribute to the team immediately as most Top 3 or 5 picks are. I doubt Jack Hughes makes the Jets less competitive in the long run for example.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
agree with that, I'd be fine with him for the next year or so, maybe give him another draft but get someone competent after that. Don't want him trading away all the good stuff he's drafting
He needs to go now. He's honestly made only 4 great moves, some very mediocre ones and a ton of stupid decisions. I'm terrified of what further damage he could do with another full off-season.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He needs to go now. He's honestly made only 4 great moves, some very mediocre ones and a ton of stupid decisions. I'm terrified of what further damage he could do with another full off-season.
that's a fair position too, and hopefully your 1st rounder this year is in "can't miss" territory

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Didn't say that at all. You trade him for the best deal you can get if he will not sign long term. The days of getting equal value back are gone for the Jets in the Trouba situation. If Trouba will not sign long term next summer that is a signal to the rest of the league that he wants to go elsewhere. That brings his value down and that is when the Jets may look at getting prospects and picks for a return for Trouba especially since they have to resign Laine and Conner preferably on long term contracts. Again I hope Trouba signs long term but so far he as given every indication that is not something he wants to do. Trading Trouba for picks and prospects next summer is better then letting him walk for nothing in 2020.
You are free to believe want you want and to believe that a panic trade is the best option. He will likely end up signing long term in Winnipeg and we can forget all the panic talk. However, making the team weaker, due to panicking as suggested in this thread, won't happen.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Sorry bud, you're the one who is out his mind. It doesn't matter to the Jets if Trouba won't resign with Vancouver. No contending team, like Winnipeg is giving up a top pairing, young RHD for a pick that won't help them for at least 3 years. It makes the Jets worse to do that. I'm not sure how you don't understand that.

A top 3 pick and a top 4 RHD for a low 1st and a player who is not going to re-sign with your team, if your GM didn't take that deal he would be fired on the spot, it's absolutely mindboggling how you don't get this.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Honestly though who do you see them bringing in that would be any different, I keep beating this drum, but ownership is the real problem here, and whatever GM they bring in
will have the same pressure that JB has had. Any GM that goes against the pressure will end up in the same position that Linden did. We can't fire ownership unfortunately.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You are free to believe want you want and to believe that a panic trade is the best option. He will likely end up signing long term in Winnipeg and we can forget all the panic talk. However, making the team weaker, due to panicking as suggested in this thread, won't happen.

I would love to understand how trading for a top 3 pick and a top 4 RHD is a "panic trade" considering these trades rarely happen as nobody ever gives up a top 3 pick
let a lone a top 4 RHD signed long term. Your the only person on the planet that would call that a "panic trade"

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Honestly though who do you see them bringing in that would be any different, I keep beating this drum, but ownership is the real problem here, and whatever GM they bring in
will have the same pressure that JB has had. Any GM that goes against the pressure will end up in the same position that Linden did. We can't fire ownership unfortunately.
The pipe dream fantasy is Stevey Y. But that won't happen. At this point much like Willie being replaced, anyone is an upgrade until like you said ownership gets involved.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The pipe dream fantasy is Stevey Y. But that won't happen. At this point much like Willie being replaced, anyone is an upgrade until like you said ownership gets involved.

How is anyone an upgrade when anyone will be under the same pressure as JB, especially if that anyone puts up a fight like Linden did and then gets fired, Stevie Y could come in and he would still be under the same pressure, if he refused to do so, they wouldn't hire him.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
A top 3 pick and a top 4 RHD for a low 1st and a player who is not going to re-sign with your team, if your GM didn't take that deal he would be fired on the spot, it's absolutely mindboggling how you don't get this.
There is no top 4 RHD in the OP. Only oft injured Tanev who even healthy would be 3rd pairing RD after Buff & Myers. The last time Tanev played a full season in the NHL was never. Jets might as well try to get Bogosian back. :thumbd::rolleyes:
As far as the pick there is no guarantee it's a top 3 no matter how bad the Canucks play. The lottery takes care of that.:skeptic:
Trouba won't go down in value in 1 year. If negotiations are again difficucult a package of "A" prospects & picks in a year will help more than a downgrade @ D & 1 magic bean this season.:ha:

Reactions: Snowman

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
How is anyone an upgrade when anyone will be under the same pressure as JB, especially if that anyone puts up a fight like Linden did and then gets fired, Stevie Y could come in and he would still be under the same pressure, if he refused to do so, they wouldn't hire him.
The next guy would be better (hopefully) when it comes to assessing players and contracts. No more trading for Gudbrandson and Sutter types. No more bad contracts to the Gagner, Eriksson, Beagle and Rousell types. No more trading of draft picks or young prospects to accelerate the rebuild in getting project players like Vey, Clendenning, or Dowd. Actually getting draft picks when it's easiest to do so for expiring contracts at the TDL when we are inevitably out of it.

I'm not saying the next guy will be perfect, nor will ownership make it easy. But the next guy will probably be better because the bar is so god damn low it's actually comical.

Like I said before he has only made 2 of 4 good picks while we've sucked (EP & Hughes vs Juolevi & Virtanen). He made a good pick on Boeser and some of the latter picks. And he landed Dahlen for Burrows. Otherwise there have been a handful of mediocre trades he's made that you can count on both hands. Meanwhile a plethora of poor decisions.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
There is no top 4 RHD in the OP. Only oft injured Tanev who even healthy would be 3rd pairing RD after Buff & Myers. The last time Tanev played a full season in the NHL was never. Jets might as well try to get Bogosian back. :thumbd::rolleyes:
As far as the pick there is no guarantee it's a top 3 no matter how bad the Canucks play. The lottery takes care of that.:skeptic:
Trouba won't go down in value in 1 year. If negotiations are again difficucult a package of "A" prospects & picks in a year will help more than a downgrade @ D & 1 magic bean this season.:ha:

No Tanev is a top 4, perhaps watch him play? He's also worked over the Summer to find ways to not get injured, not to mention the Canucks are a far worse team than the Jets, so one would think that Tanev wouldn't have to make up for crappy play of him teammates there.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I guess being in Vancouver you have come to accept inept GM'ing as the norm. No competent NHL GM would give up a top pairing RHD for a downgrade on defense and a draft pick that isn't guaranteed to turn into an NHL player. If he did, he would be fired on the spot. It is mind boggling how you are the only one on this site that can't understand that.

I know on this site, the magic bean is king and worth more than anything. It just isn't that way for real GM's. They understand the value of top end players actually excelling in the NHL compared to magic beans.

For an experiment, go make the same offer to some other teams for one of their top pair defensemen and see how many accept the trade. I'm betting it will be pretty close to zero.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Tanev is easily top 4. He would just get the hardest assignments at even strength and on the PK. He still will get 19-20 minutes a game. Doesnt matter what pairing hes on.

You cant just be like hes not a top 4 because he gets injured all the time. When he plays hes a top 4.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I guess being in Vancouver you have come to accept inept GM'ing as the norm. No competent NHL GM would give up a top pairing RHD for a downgrade on defense and a draft pick that isn't guaranteed to turn into an NHL player. If he did, he would be fired on the spot. It is mind boggling how you are the only one on this site that can't understand that.

I know on this site, the magic bean is king and worth more than anything. It just isn't that way for real GM's. They understand the value of top end players actually excelling in the NHL compared to magic beans.

For an experiment, go make the same offer to some other teams for one of their top pair defensemen and see how many accept the trade. I'm betting it will be pretty close to zero.

A top pair Dman who once again LOOKS TO HAVE ZERO INTENTION OF SIGNING, I have said that in every post yet you continue to ignore the obvious.
Top 10 picks rarely get traded for a reason bud, and if they do it's a very good return. If Trouba was signed long term of course you wouldn't trade him but the fact that it seems he has not intention of signing (your fan bases opinion, not mine) in anywhere but south of the border makes his value drop, again mind boggling that you don't get this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->