Proposal: Vancouver Canucks-Winnipeg Jets ("A Hockey Trade")

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This honestly feels like the exact opposite of a hockey trade.

I can see the motivation for Vancouver (assuming they can re-sign Trouba), but can't see it at all for Winnipeg.

What would stop me as the Jets is the injury history, and the fact that Tanev only has one additional year under contract beyond Trouba's contract.

But it makes sense in a lot of ways. The Jets need an elite shutdown RHD if they lose Trouba, and possibly Myers in UFA. Tanev can replace everything Trouba does on the back end of the ice. Most importantly they need that to be cost controlled. There's no way the Jets should commit to Trouba at north of $6.5m per, while it makes more sense for a team like Vancouver that needs a top pair D and has the salary space for him.

In short, the Jets need a player like Trouba, just cheaper.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Canucks should have no interest in doing this. They are a bottom 5 team and you shouldn't be throwing first round picks like that.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think people are undervaluing the Canucks 1st. This deal is worse for them imo

Yeah on second thought, you're right. I thought it was protected, but if it's not, then it's a bit too much just for the right to overpay Trouba.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What would stop me as the Jets is the injury history, and the fact that Tanev only has one additional year under contract beyond Trouba's contract.

But it makes sense in a lot of ways. The Jets need an elite shutdown RHD if they lose Trouba, and possibly Myers in UFA. Tanev can replace everything Trouba does on the back end of the ice. Most importantly they need that to be cost controlled. There's no way the Jets should commit to Trouba at north of $6.5m per, while it makes more sense for a team like Vancouver that needs a top pair D and has the salary space for him.

In short, the Jets need a player like Trouba, just cheaper.

Right, thats kinda why i dont see the point for Winnipeg. Tanev missing a bunch of games every year puts a huge damper on his viability. If you lose Trouba for Tanev, and Myers walks, Who plays RHD when (not if) when Tanev gets hurt. Its not that Tanev isnt a good player, its just hard for a contender to have to plan on losing a top 4 for 20 games a season.

The additional year of control is also limiting, as it really just gives winnipeg another 1 year window. I think that moving Trouba to a team with a younger, but not as good d-man that can grow with the team is a better option, but thats just outside looking in.

Reactions: libertarian

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Canucks first round pick is off the table for anyone thats realistically going to be traded.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Vancouver Canucks-Winnipeg Jets ("A Hockey Trade")

To Vancouver: Jacob Trouba + Winnipeg's 1st
To Winnipeg: Chris Tanev + Vancouver's 1st

So Trouba and say 28th for Tanev and 3rd?

Not sure Vancouver would do that-I have Vancouver as my surprise team--but not being so good that their pick wont be in the top ten and most people have the nucks as a cup contender

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Only reason the Jets consider down grading at D is if Trouba refuses to resign this summer. Both guys have same number of years of team control.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
i think both teams say no

nucks get the best player but if they give up quinns little brother it will haunt them for the next 15 years
jets probably don't wanna downgrade on D (especially with a dude made of glass) for a shot at a top prospects

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
giphy.gif

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Vancouver Canucks-Winnipeg Jets ("A Hockey Trade")

To Vancouver: Jacob Trouba + Winnipeg's 1st
To Winnipeg: Chris Tanev + Vancouver's 1st
Forgive him,,,please
We are not trading our first round pick in next years draft ,period...with it being in Vancouver.
As it is right now we could be a lottery team AGAIN.
So there is no way,,we are trading this pick,.

Reactions: brokenhole

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
If I was guaranteed 70 games+both seasons from Tanev I'd probably say yes to this. A legit chance at a top 5 pick is worth the difference in performance between Trouba and Tanev.

If this wasn't such a "win before the team gets too expensive" season for the Jets it's an immediate no brainer

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
This honestly feels like the exact opposite of a hockey trade.

I can see the motivation for Vancouver (assuming they can re-sign Trouba), but can't see it at all for Winnipeg.

Canuck's first will be top 3.

So ya, there's no reason for either team to do this. Horrible, bad, not well thought out proposal.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Because the Jets might not be able to keep Trouba. So they'd get a lesser, under contract guy and a higher pick in the first.

It's not a terrible trade. Jets would obviously want to sign Trouba but if they cant this is a pretty good return.

If they can't that is an amazing return. A top 5 pick for a rental and rock solid dman tossed in.

No idea why Vancouver would touch this with a barge pole, Trouba won't sign here, so renting Trouba for a top 5 pick and Tanev would be the most illogical deal in league history.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
This is a terrible trade for Vancouver with that pick likely being a top 5 or better selection. I shouldn't expect anything else from @Hindustan Smyl though, all your trade proposals involve moving high picks or prospects for win now type moves.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
The Jets are contending now. They are not going to take a downgrade on defense for a pick that won't help for 3 or 4 years. There would be zero interest from Winnipeg on this one.
Honestly, it's not even a downgrade plus you potentially get the 1st overall pick! It is an awful proposal and the Jets would be insane not to take this if it were offered. I might quick being a Canucks fan if it did.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad