Proposal: Vancouver Canucks-Winnipeg Jets ("A Hockey Trade")

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
This makes little sense for Vancouver. They're trying to add high-end prospects to their core and dealing that pick could come back to haunt them. Not to mention IMO there is very little chance of Trouba re-signing there. I just don't see the motivation.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Thinking the Canucks would have to add here.

Doubtful. It makes no sense for either team. But a top 5 pick has massive value and I'd personally rather a top 5 pick than Trouba. Especially if I'm Vancouver.

I just wish people thought about proposals before they spewed garbage. Why is either team doing this? Winnipeg is in win now and needs Trouba. Vancouver is rebuilding and needs a top 5 pick. The draft is in VANCOUVER. They aren't trading away picks

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Draft is in Vancouver this year with the Canucks most likely going for a top pick. This is one year I would be PISSED to swap 1sts with someone (unless its Colorado for Ottawas pick)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why would Trouba sign with Vancouver when he is already giving the best west coast team trouble? This is basically the Nucks moving their top D and possibly a top 5 pick for at most two seasons of a D before he either walks or is dealt for a much smaller package.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
This is not a trade for the beginning of the year at all. This is a pre-draft trade. Also I'm doubtful that Vancouver will trade their 1st this year when the expectation is that starting the 2019-2020 season they will start to become competitive. Also if these 2 RHD will get traded where will all the dumb leaf proposals go?

Reactions: THE Green Man

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
This honestly feels like the exact opposite of a hockey trade.

I can see the motivation for Vancouver (assuming they can re-sign Trouba), but can't see it at all for Winnipeg.

You don't think Winnipeg would want to upgrade their 20-31st overall pick to what will probably be a 5-12th overall pick while getting a serviceable player who plays the same role and position for a player they're going to lose for nothing next year?

As good as they look, Laine and Connor will both need heavy raises next year (note: I hope Mark Scheifele fired his agent), Trouba already has a foot outside the door and I'm not sure of the sentiment that Myers carries.

Adding a top ten pick who they can afford to let simmer in the minors is how they keep the momentum going.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You don't think Winnipeg would want to upgrade their 20-31st overall pick to what will probably be a 5-12th overall pick while getting a serviceable player who plays the same role and position for a player they're going to lose for nothing next year?

As good as they look, Laine and Connor will both need heavy raises next year (note: I hope Mark Scheifele fired his agent), Trouba already has a foot outside the door and I'm not sure of the sentiment that Myers carries.

Adding a top ten pick who they can afford to let simmer in the minors is how they keep the momentum going.

No, i think Winnipeg would like to start competing regularly, and they do that with keeping Trouba. Winnipeg has one of the deepest and more talented pool of young players in the league, so while a top 10 pick is great, i think they want to move out of that phase finally.

I'd wager they are more concerned with hitting the home run now, rather than playing short ball, but i'll let someone more intimate with Winnipeg's team speak to that.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Why would either team do this?

Because the Jets might not be able to keep Trouba. So they'd get a lesser, under contract guy and a higher pick in the first.

It's not a terrible trade. Jets would obviously want to sign Trouba but if they cant this is a pretty good return.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
No, i think Winnipeg would like to start competing regularly, and they do that with keeping Trouba. Winnipeg has one of the deepest and more talented pool of young players in the league, so while a top 10 pick is great, i think they want to move out of that phase finally.

I'd wager they are more concerned with hitting the home run now, rather than playing short ball, but i'll let someone more intimate with
Winnipeg's team speak to that.

You really think Trouba, who has made what, two trade requests(?), is going to sign a long term extension in Winnipeg next year?

It's a bad situation for Winnipeg.

They can ship him as an RFA needing a new deal next year for pennies on the dollar (knowing full well he wants to go to an east coast team), or they can ship him at the deadline when they're probably going to be either first or second in the central and gearing up for a deep run.

We'll see.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I wouldn't do that from Vancouver's side, from Winnipeg's side I think it depends on the signing outlook on Trouba - Winnipeg is ready to contend so there's value in being better now and dealing him to Van might help to keep Van's pick from being as high

probably no from both sides, from the Canuck's perspective - don't cut corners, just rebuild and keep your picks. Benning has been doing very well with his draft picks so I don't know why you'd want to take what could be a really good one away from him

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The Jets are contending now. They are not going to take a downgrade on defense for a pick that won't help for 3 or 4 years. There would be zero interest from Winnipeg on this one.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You really think Trouba, who has made what, two trade requests(?), is going to sign a long term extension in Winnipeg next year?

They can ship him as an RFA needing a new deal next year for pennies on the dollar (knowing full well he wants to go to an east coast team), or they can ship him at the deadline when they're probably going to be either first or second in the central and gearing up for a deep run.

We'll see.

Not terribly confident of it, but i also dont think trading for an injury prone replacement isnt the best fit either. If they trade Trouba, they have the option of re-signing Myers who is an adequate top 4.

Pennies on the dollar is an odd way to look at a team who is trading a RFA (edit) Top Pairing RHD who wants to go to an american east/central team. Dont think it'd be too difficult to get some decent bidding going between a few different teams.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver obviously would have zero interest in this.

As for Winnipeg it's a tough call. It's very, very likely to be a Top 5 pick. Vancouver looks locked as the worst team in the West. Yeah Trouba is great and yeah Winnipeg wants to win this season, BUT the core is still super young. Imagine them winning Jack Hughes and having him cost-controlled for years. I think it's a risk you make if you want to win a Cup. Yeah, Vancouver could be this year's Avs and drop to a mid first rounder (which would not be good), but it's not likely.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

We'll see.

He’s never publicly asked for a trade to my knowledge. Sure, he hasn’t been willing to sign long term, but we don’t know the specifics on what’s been offered. You have a link to these requests?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Draft is in Vancouver this year with the Canucks most likely going for a top pick. This is one year I would be PISSED to swap 1sts with someone (unless its Colorado for Ottawas pick)

Yeah, don’t see this happening, but Benning is Whack-a-doodle enough to want to make a BIG splash on the draft floor and spin to the hometown crowd how they just landed their cornerstone defenfenseman of the now/future.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Doesn’t make too much sense for Vancouver given they could use the high end prospect their pick would give them although the jets should probably do this deal if Trouba is difficult to sign. Maybe tanev and gaudette for Trouba?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad