Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #5

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I'm not really sold on Cassels as an NHLer unless he can improve his skating quite a bit,gotta hook him up with Horvat's power skating coach this summer or he's in tough as a pro.
I'm hoping for a lot more from Shinkaruk this year but he's still a long way from the NHL and might not get there.

Gonna go with Corrado as he's shown NHL ability while continuing to improve his overall game.

I think Brisbois would be my next choice after Corrado.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Voted Cassels. Getting better every year.

I really like Gaunce as a winger, actually. He's so strong on the boards, and he as pretty good vision. Also, when he puts the puck on his back hand, look out. Shifty passes, shifty spots. He has soft hands. I think Gaunce is gonna surprise some people. He's ahead of Shinkaruk, for me.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Cassels. It scares me that Corrado has 7 and Brisebois has 0. Sorry but Corrado is not a better prospect than him.

I don't really know how you can say that with such certainty....Corrado is a lot closer to the NHL. And had a pretty good junior track record. Brisebois is coming off a spotty draft season.

As for this vote, like last, I'm voting Shinkaruk. By far most upside. Looks like Cassels is going to win because he "shut down" (but didn't really) McDavid. I like him, but I think his realistic upside is more in the Brad Richardson range.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Did anyone else find it interesting that the 5 Top Prospects they brought onstage for the Summer Summit were:

#1 on this list Virtanen (18) Benning pick
#2 on this list McCann (19) Benning pick
#3 on this list Boeser (18) Benning pick
#4 on this list Demko (19) Benning pick

and currently leading #5 on this list Cassels (20) Gillis pick

S_C

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If someone could post the poll tomorrow (Friday) around 11am I would appreciate it, I won't be able to do it until late in the afternoon/early evening.

Bump. Also, if someone does post it, please add Ronalds Kenins back to the list.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Voted Shinkaruk because of his natural offensive potential over Cassels.

If Shinkaruk makes the NHL, he'll be a top 6 player. I see Cassels more of a bottom 6 player, but a very good one.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Did anyone else find it interesting that the 5 Top Prospects they brought onstage for the Summer Summit were:

S_C

Not really, it's a shiny-new-toy syndrome. Give it 2 more years and if McCann or Virtanen don't make the team, they'll be surpassed by the 2016 1st rounders.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Cassels. It scares me that Corrado has 7 and Brisebois has 0. Sorry but Corrado is not a better prospect than him.

Brisebois is 17 years old....it is incredibly difficult to project where he will end up. Right now all we know is that he skates well and is decent defensively in the Q. Things will change a lot in the next 12 months for such a young player - for the better or....
He was a good pick at 66 but it is way too early to predict whether he will even get a shot at the NHL. Sure he might, but the risk and uncertainty is incredibly high.

Corrado on the other hand has a good chance at becoming at least a solid bottom pairing D-man and maybe higher.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

S_C

Thing I like about this is that their success now lands squarely on current management. They will be given every opportunity to succeed which can't be said for all prospects.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
^^^
I think Brisebois certainly has more upside but Corrado IMO is a lock to make the team next year. Unless he has regressed.

I'd love to see a Hamhuis-Corrado pairing. IMHO Corrado is the most well rounded in that group of youngsters (Sbisa, Corrado, Clendening, Bartkowski).

I think Benning has made a good pick with Brisebois. Based on what I've seen and heard about this kid.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
It was close with Cassels but went with Hunter. He has the higher upside and we've seen improvement in the AHL. I'm a little surprised that people say Cassels has a better chance of hitting his potential. For all we know, Cassels may not even be able to cut it against men. Not to say I don't believe it Cassels, I love his attitude and think he will make the NHL. Only at this point, I think Shink is still above him on the prospects depth chart. It will be interesting to see how they both do with the Comets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad