Player Discussion Vancouver Canucks Top 10 Prospects

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I would also be excited about the prospect pool if I raised every players ceilings up a level or two from what is commonly believed/rational and as a consequence the floor is also raised so nearly everyone projects as a NHL player. It won't happen.

worked for bowie. kept stroking horvat and is still reaping rewards.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
worked for bowie. kept stroking horvat and is still reaping rewards.
One guy? One guy is your argument basis in a league that drafts over 200 new players yearly? Wanna pass the Kool-Aid?
Or at least the OP can pass the Kool-Aid. My gawd. These projections, if literally every team wrote articles like this you’d think the NHL was almost too successful at turning meh nobodies into quality every day players.
If you ranked the 9 other worst teams over the last 4 years directly against the Canucks with projections like these on all of the outside the nhl prospects, would Vancouver rank 10th? Or 9th?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
One guy? One guy is your argument basis in a league that drafts over 200 new players yearly? Wanna pass the Kool-Aid?
Or at least the OP can pass the Kool-Aid. My gawd. These projections, if literally every team wrote articles like this you’d think the NHL was almost too successful at turning meh nobodies into quality every day players.
If you ranked the 9 other worst teams over the last 4 years directly against the Canucks with projections like these on all of the outside the nhl prospects, would Vancouver rank 10th? Or 9th?

lol you've misunderstood me. my bad though. I meant the user 'bowiehorvat' or whatever name he goes by now that continuously hyped horvat to the extreme and we kept watching him improve.

Reactions: Peter10

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
"great debate aside" :) what's the top 10 looking like at midseason?

top 3 of podkolzin, hoglander, madden seems pretty easy.
who's the biggest riser? biggest disappointment? biggest surprise?
rafferty has some nice stats, but i haven't really seen much of him.
is he legit?
@Siludin

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
In 20-21 this team is going to be scary. Hoglander Pettersson Boeser ... XXX Horvat Podkolzin as your 1st 2 lines will be scary. About 6 different players could fill the XXX spot. Heck Virtanen Horvat Podkolzin is a line that no team will want to face.

Completely agree.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well I’m an optimist but imo this is way over the top. We have some potentially good prospects for sure. But realistically a number of these guys will bust and most will be at least one level lower than you’re projecting. There will be the odd player that comes out of nowhere as well.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Pod, Hog, Mad and Mikey are decent.

The rest are pretty meh.

Hog could easily be another Shremp. Pod could be a middle 6 winger. Mikey might be too small and get picked apart by better shooters. Madden seems like a potential middle 6 if it works out.

All nice but nothing of note till they are in the show and producing.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
"great debate aside" :) what's the top 10 looking like at midseason?

top 3 of podkolzin, hoglander, madden seems pretty easy.
who's the biggest riser? biggest disappointment? biggest surprise?
rafferty has some nice stats, but i haven't really seen much of him.
is he legit?
@Siludin
Madden was the Canucks top prospect when this was written (7th lol) and he is still there top prospect. Podkolzin should be far lower until he proves he can produce at any level

Reactions: neelynugs

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
1 Quinn Hughes
2 Vasily Podkolzin
3 Thatcher Demko
4 Nils Hoglander
5 Tyler Madden
6 Brogan Rafferty
7 Kole Lind
8 Olli Juolevi
9 Michael Dipietro
10 Zack MacEwen

Graduated - Pettersson Gaudette

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

The rest are pretty meh.

Hog could easily be another Shremp. Pod could be a middle 6 winger. Mikey might be too small and get picked apart by better shooters. Madden seems like a potential middle 6 if it works out.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

The rest are pretty meh.

Why do people keep comparing Hoglander to Rob Schremp? Both of them have great hands, but that's about it. Shremp was pillowy soft in his own zone and as far as going into the corners, it might has have been the Bermuda Triangle.

Hoglander is a mean little piece of work who does his best work down low battling bigger d-men. So 'no' Hoglander has zero chance of being another Shremp. Petri Skriko might be a better comparison and he had a decent run in the league.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
1 Quinn Hughes
2 Vasily Podkolzin
3 Thatcher Demko
4 Nils Hoglander
5 Tyler Madden
6 Brogan Rafferty
7 Kole Lind
8 Olli Juolevi
9 Michael Dipietro
10 Zack MacEwen

If we're calling Gaudette graduated I think you have to call Demko and Hughes graduated as well.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
1 Quinn Hughes
2 Vasily Podkolzin
3 Thatcher Demko
4 Nils Hoglander
5 Tyler Madden
6 Brogan Rafferty
7 Kole Lind
8 Olli Juolevi
9 Michael Dipietro
10 Zack MacEwen

An NHL all star is no longer a prospect.

Reactions: Javaman

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Well I’m an optimist but imo this is way over the top. We have some potentially good prospects for sure. But realistically a number of these guys will bust and most will be at least one level lower than you’re projecting. There will be the odd player that comes out of nowhere as well.

Let them have their fun. Once they've been through several prospect cycles, they'll know how bleak it is.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
nah by definition they are still rookies. Gaudette is not

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

I guess by that definition that's true but there is zero possibility Hughes or Demko don't spend the entire year and moving forward in the NHL.

I'd go so far to say that of the three Gaudette's spot is the least solid. (But I believe all 3 are full time NHLers from here on out.)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
big rathbone fan. do you guys think he's gonna be better than hoglander?
what's your current top 10 prospect list looking like? canucks look loaded for
the next bunch of years, impressive.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
big rathbone fan. do you guys think he's gonna be better than hoglander?
what's your current top 10 prospect list looking like? canucks look loaded for
the next bunch of years, impressive.
Podzkolin
Rathbone
Hoglander
Dipietro

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This top-10 prospect list actually stands up pretty well with the benefit of hindsight.

I know Hoglander had a more impressive WJC than Podkolzin, but based on the way he way he took the KHL by storm late in the season, I'd flip the order. And not sure Woo has actually cemented himself near the top half of the list. Based on a mildly disappointing season the Dub, I'd say Rathbone has sailed past him.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad