Vancouver Canucks Ticket Market Fading?

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Vancouver's beginning to go through a recession cycle. That's why the demand drop in entertainment like hockey.

Kip96

Feb 8, 2010
West Coast
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not

*The face value on the tickets is not the actual cost paid by season ticket holders

It used to be but up until 2 years ago that the face value on the ticket was the amount paid by the ticket holder.
Then they changed it to have a much higher face value which reflects the cost of the ticket if you just got season tickets this year.

The longer you've been a season ticket holder, the larger the discount you get but that isn't reflected on the face value anymore.

For example, my Dad splits clubs seats with his friend and has since the Canucks moved to GM Place so they get a large discount. The face value on the tickets range from $240-$290 depending on the game. The actual cost paid for the seats is around $160 a ticket.

So when people say they are selling below face value and thats their cost they're probably full of **** unless they recently got season tickets

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Vancouver's beginning to go through a recession cycle. That's why the demand drop in entertainment like hockey.

I don't know why it took 4 pages for someone to mention this.

Housing prices are high. Gas prices are high. Job stability is low. I may have $200 to spare to go to a game, but I'd rather save it for a rainy day which may be coming soon.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
I maintain that this is just short term lockout talk. All it will take for the Canucks is a playoff series and they are back in the running. If Canucks can go to round 2, then this city will explode. Also, as mentioned, no mixture of teams, no eastern teams, etc. Next year under the new relocation system every single team comes to Rogers Arena at least 1x a year (way better than the old system). This means next year we get Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Detroit, Ottawa, Rangers, etc. Those games sell for way more than list price. Detroit is going to be a huge game now since they are moving to the east, and it means we only see them 1x at Rogers Arena per year.

Also, I agree with the housing market crashing. People are going to lose lots of money on their houses and that will cause less money to be spent.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not

*The face value on the tickets is not the actual cost paid by season ticket holders

It used to be but up until 2 years ago that the face value on the ticket was the amount paid by the ticket holder.
Then they changed it to have a much higher face value which reflects the cost of the ticket if you just got season tickets this year.

The longer you've been a season ticket holder, the larger the discount you get but that isn't reflected on the face value anymore.

For example, my Dad splits clubs seats with his friend and has since the Canucks moved to GM Place so they get a large discount. The face value on the tickets range from $240-$290 depending on the game. The actual cost paid for the seats is around $160 a ticket.

Great Post. I do not think there is any problem. Everygame is selling out at the highest price possible. Which is great for a fan from the interior, as it is not my money and the owners are reinvesting into the team. About the recession in Vancouver, other then home prices falling what recession? Seems strange to complain about ticket prices being high at the same time as complaining housing prices are falling.

Brain Sergeant

Squirrel!
May 28, 2007
So, what do I do now? I buy my tickets off Craigslist for below face value. I got two tickets to Tuesday night's game for $100. Row 3 in Section 303. Face value of those seats is $163.00 for the pair, but obviously not what the season ticket holder pays for them, but despite that it's still a loss for him.

No, its not. My friend has similar seats and non-premium games like Tuesday, the member cost for those seats is like $43 bucks.

Also, the market for that game was softer then any other game this year.

Brain Sergeant

Squirrel!
May 28, 2007
After the lockout I refuse to give the NHL any support (even if that includes turning down free tickets).

Talking about them on the internet is supporting them. Derp. :handclap:

Way to grandstand though. Bravo!

If you were really serious, maybe you should have donated that money to some of the charities or businesses that suffered from the lockout. That would be a good way to show your lack of support for the NHL, to help a group who suffered because of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->