Vancouver Canucks Ticket Market Fading?

Crows*

The stat counter barely works, a lot of times nothing comes up.

The odd time it does work, I love how they show face off %, but not the actual face offs taken.

Looks like this:

Raymond 100%

H. Sedin 15%

Kesler 45%

This isn't helpful.

The screen itself is amazing. I don't look at the stats beyond shots on that screen. I just look on my phone during intermissions

Wellwood You

Dec 13, 2008
Burnaby, BC
Season ticket holders selling below face isn't a recent phenomenon. Over the past few years (in other words, even at the best of times), most games sell at face or under face except for the random Eastern team showing up (Leafs, Habs, Pens, Caps).

Most season ticket holders sell under face because they still can turn a profit, as the markup between season tickets and single tickets is pretty big. On top of that, the Canucks have been releasing tickets for most games through Ticketmaster either on game day or a couple days prior, so there's no way that you could garner more than face value.

I've boycotted attending regular season games because I value crowd atmosphere a lot in my game-day experience, and while I don't mind spending the money, I don't see the value. I'll save my money for the playoffs (and Whitecaps games).

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I think to some degree there's still the belief that this season doesn't feel "real". That'll likely change come playoffs, AV being fired, or a Luongo trade.
There's a hurry up and wait feeling, at least for me.

I agree with this. The buzz around the Canucks is still the same. They are everywhere and everyone still talks about them the same but this season is a weird one. Playoffs will kick things off and next season should be business as usual. I know a lot of people that will still watch the games but planned to not attend a game this season because of the lock out.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think to some degree there's still the belief that this season doesn't feel "real". That'll likely change come playoffs, AV being fired, or a Luongo trade.
There's a hurry up and wait feeling, at least for me.

This. Personally, I just don't care as much this year. Sure, I still watch every game, but my heart isn't in it as much as other seasons. I have no intention of going to games either, quite turned off by the lock out still. We fans need something to get excited about, and the product on the ice isn't doing it.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I'm a poor member of the bridge-and-tunnel crowd. Can't afford tickets more than once or twice a year and even if I could, I'd rather spend the money on a new guitar and watch the game from the comfort of my home, which I'm currently paying a mortgage on anyway. The in-game experience is not something I'd say is worth the (considerable extra) money.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Excitement is just not there anymore, most fans have soured and turned bitter. They're scared of being so emotionally vested into the team after the heartbreak of the cup final loss and the arena is too damn quiet, I rather watch it at home with friends.

I've been a Canucks fan since I was born (a solid 22 years) any Canuck fan older than me I've ever met has been bitter to one degree or another... The last couple years has generated a batch of new fans that actually are not bitter..

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Why would anyone want to pay $300+ to go to a library where a hockey game broke out?

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bruins won the Cup and their arena is electric.

The Canucks play a boring brand and the ticket prices are ridiculous. The video production quality is average at best and i cant stand their theme of having the Canucks as this bubble gum team that is part of the community. Theyre ****in millionaires!

And I'm a season ticket holder, contemplating if its even worth having them anymore.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Bruins won the Cup and their arena is electric.

The Canucks play a boring brand and the ticket prices are ridiculous. The video production quality is average at best and i cant stand their theme of having the Canucks as this bubble gum team that is part of the community. Theyre ****in millionaires!

And I'm a season ticket holder, contemplating if its even worth having them anymore.

Has anyone else mentioned the boring factor? I have often questioned why I'm watching the game on TV in the last 1.5 years, despite the fact they won quite a few - how would I feel sitting in the dead-quiet arena having shelled out hundreds of dollars?

Having said that, a couple of ads on Craigslist doesn't make a drop in demand.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Has anyone else mentioned the boring factor? I have often questioned why I'm watching the game on TV in the last 1.5 years, despite the fact they won quite a few - how would I feel sitting in the dead-quiet arena having shelled out hundreds of dollars?

Having said that, a couple of ads on Craigslist doesn't make a drop in demand.

That's a league wide problem. Hockey is a great game but the NHL really sucks.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
That's a league wide problem. Hockey is a great game but the NHL really sucks.

They just need to get the refs to get off their collective *****. But yeah, I don't like how they've let things slip slowly since the previous lockout.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
The idea of going to Canucks games makes me feel like everyone in this city is rich but me. Like they're handing out secret cheques that I don't know about so that people can afford to pay their mortgage, have kids, buy jerseys and take their whole family to a game in one of the most expensive cities to live in in North America.

Someone tell me how there is so much money in this city and I have none of it!:laugh:

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm mostly joking. I'm very grateful for what I do have and I don't actually lament not being able to afford a luxury item like Canucks tickets. Some people have real problems after all...

Last edited:

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
The idea of going to Canucks games makes me feel like everyone in this city is rich but me. Like they're handing out secret cheques that I don't know about so that people can afford to pay their mortgage, have kids, buy jerseys and take their whole family to a game in one of the most expensive cities to live in in North America.

Someone tell me how there is so much money in this city and I have none of it!:laugh:

While you're at it, tell me too. :cry:

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
When the cheapest ticket to a game costs $70, you're alienating a big market of very passionate fans.

Personally, I'd rather spend the $70+ on something that would last longer than 3 hours.

Couldn't agree more. I love the Nucks, but I have no great desire to go to more than one game per season. Maybe two. I don't have that sort of money to throw around.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Bring back the Shopper Drug Mart $7 specials!

People are also up to their necks in debt. Check the figures. House prices are falling and people are having to tighten their belts. In general there's probably a lot less "disposable" income floating around.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Bring back the Shopper Drug Mart $7 specials!

People are also up to their necks in debt. Check the figures. House prices are falling and people are having to tighten their belts. In general there's probably a lot less "disposable" income floating around.

I guess I missed out on the fun :naughty:

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Well, I don't think demand has gone down. It's just the lockout. Crappy games always sell below face value (because face value is still higher than season ticket holder cost). Most season ticket holders will try and get what they paid for the crappy games, and make profit on the big premium games (like Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, etc.)

That being said, I think fans here want a team they can be proud of. We have the Sedins who are great players, but they will never be exciting - ever. They are the only players I know of who can get 1 ppg and just never be exciting. I only ever saw the Sedins show emotion once I think, during Chicago playoff series. That's about it.

Guys like Kassian are what we want, and what we need. The way he plays with passion is incredible. Burrows, Kesler and Bieksa are the same way. But it seems like AV doesn't want passion, he wants teamwork and that's fine, it's a great way to win games and PT's, but not so much for entertainment.

Anyways, I think the Canucks are going to keep this sellout streak going forever. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I just don't see it ever stopping - Aquilini won't let it. He wants to turn the streak into some sort of insane legend-like streak. In 20 years he wants to be able to boast that the Canucks have sold out 2,000 games in a row... etc. So they will keep season ticket holders 100% full using the waiting list, and then if there are any rogue tickets left I think Aqualini will buy them himself before the game begins and donate them to charity (Taking the write-off). That's how it seems to work.

One more thing, I think the league hating the canucks and thinking we are all p*ssies has rubbed off on Vancouver fans. I mean, we are a diving team, and we do complain about refs, and we do whine about every little thing. It sucks. Even Mike Gillis seems to hate the fans here. We are not the best fans, and we sure as hell don't support our team no matter what. We aren't the worst fans by far, but we aren't the best. We used to be, back in the early 2000's. We were the loudest arena in the NHL. But now we have settled into a holding pattern.

HAMMY5

Jan 22, 2013
Abbotsford BC
Well, I don't think demand has gone down. It's just the lockout. Crappy games always sell below face value (because face value is still higher than season ticket holder cost). Most season ticket holders will try and get what they paid for the crappy games, and make profit on the big premium games (like Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, etc.)

That being said, I think fans here want a team they can be proud of. We have the Sedins who are great players, but they will never be exciting - ever. They are the only players I know of who can get 1 ppg and just never be exciting. I only ever saw the Sedins show emotion once I think, during Chicago playoff series. That's about it.

Guys like Kassian are what we want, and what we need. The way he plays with passion is incredible. Burrows, Kesler and Bieksa are the same way. But it seems like AV doesn't want passion, he wants teamwork and that's fine, it's a great way to win games and PT's, but not so much for entertainment.

Anyways, I think the Canucks are going to keep this sellout streak going forever. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I just don't see it ever stopping - Aquilini won't let it. He wants to turn the streak into some sort of insane legend-like streak. In 20 years he wants to be able to boast that the Canucks have sold out 2,000 games in a row... etc. So they will keep season ticket holders 100% full using the waiting list, and then if there are any rogue tickets left I think Aqualini will buy them himself before the game begins and donate them to charity (Taking the write-off). That's how it seems to work.

One more thing, I think the league hating the canucks and thinking we are all p*ssies has rubbed off on Vancouver fans. I mean, we are a diving team, and we do complain about refs, and we do whine about every little thing. It sucks. Even Mike Gillis seems to hate the fans here. We are not the best fans, and we sure as hell don't support our team no matter what. We aren't the worst fans by far, but we aren't the best. We used to be, back in the early 2000's. We were the loudest arena in the NHL. But now we have settled into a holding pattern.

Your kidding right? Those two players are amazing how they find eachother constantly with no look passes and spining oposeing defenseman into the ground I find them very exciting to watch you take your eye off them for one second and they do somthing amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YafdepidxsU

Couldnt embed the video so theres a link.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
to the commenter who said he's tired of watching people arrive late all the time...

here's the thing with having seasons tickets. besides the game itself, the events surrounding the game before puck drop can get pretty monotonous over the course of 41 games. same intro, same music, same everything...

seriously, it wears on you. yes, some people arrive late cuz of work or cuz of being fashionably late or whatever, but a lot are late cuz they just want to catch the game and that's it. no fluff required.

for the person who attends one or two games a year, the in-house entertainment is gonna be something you might pay more attention to. going to every game isn't all it's cracked up to be.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

Wow. Stunning.

Wizeman*

The prices are insane for watching a hockey game . They should be $100 per seat at lower level center ice.

Work backward from there until you hit the upper bowl at $20 bucks each.

Get some fans in there who give a !$%!$# . Make it affordable to all canuck fans.

Make it up in advertising , center ice, television.

Its still fair to jack the prices up for playoffs though.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I think the lockout is a big part of it. I try to go to 5-7 games a year and I decided not to support the NHL financially this season so I've been watching at home. A couple of my friends are doing the same.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Ticket prices are too high for the mediocre product on the ice. No eastern teams and a whole lot of boring western teams. Other than a handful of players, the Nucks are playing with a lack of passion.

The team and management have become complacent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad