Vancouver Canucks Ticket Market Fading?

BuggSuperstar

Nov 28, 2011
This year there has been a significant drop in demand for tickets. Craigslist is stacked full of posts of season ticket holders looking to sell their tickets for less than face value.
What do you guys suppose the reason is?
The lockout? Disappointment from last year and 2011? The "buzz" is gone? A combination of all?

Crows*

This year there has been a significant drop in demand for tickets. Craigslist is stacked full of posts of season ticket holders looking to sell their tickets for less than face value.
The lockout? Disappointment from last year and 2011? The "buzz" is gone? A combination of all?

Combination of all IMO.

Team needs a young superstar to get fans really excited again. Or another cup run

Ryan96

Mar 1, 2013
Vancouver
Once you go to the cup final it's hard to get excited about a regular season game. I think it shows in the players as well.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Combination of all IMO.

Team needs a young superstar to get fans really excited again. Or another cup run

I think maybe the Canucks have finally priced themselves out of the market, especially given that there's a decent chance they'll play a somewhat crappy game and people will feel like they didn't get their money's worth.

Also, maybe this is just me, but with home theatre systems and big screen tvs these days, I find you get a much better viewing experience at home, while saving saving yourself a ton of time and money.

Also makes it easier to get together with a bunch of people and watch the game at someone's house, especially if you've got an odd number of people.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Ticket market wasn't all that great before this team got good, now that's it's on the downswing again ticket market will go with it. Not to mention the last several seasons have ended in paralyzing dissapointment. Will need a spark or this team will continue to see the market shrink. Will be OK for the regular folk die hards as ticket prices may come back to Earth. The fans aren't dumb, they know this team is very likely not a Cup contender. The sky isn't falling, but it's slowly beginning to descend.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think maybe the Canucks have finally priced themselves out of the market, especially given that there's a decent chance they'll play a somewhat crappy game and people will feel like they didn't get their money's worth.

Also, maybe this is just me, but with home theatre systems and big screen tvs these days, I find you get a much better viewing experience at home, while saving saving yourself a ton of time and money.

Also makes it easier to get together with a bunch of people and watch the game at someone's house, especially if you've got an odd number of people.

I don't know if it is considered pricing themselves out of a market if there are still over 5 years worth of people waiting to pay the price for these tickets, Seems all they have done is price the people wanting to re-sell there tickets out of the market, and they are not going to give a crap if the demand for scalped tickets is lower then supply.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
I don't know if it is considered pricing themselves out of a market if there are still over 5 years worth of people waiting to pay the price for these tickets, Seems all they have done is price the people wanting to re-sell there tickets out of the market, and they are not going to give a crap if the demand for scalped tickets is lower then supply.

I have a feeling a lot of those people on that waiting list are looking at it as a business opportunity and not necessarily because they're rabid hockey fans.

Once people saw the ridiculous prices others were willing to play for playoff tickets, they figured it would be a good investment to get their hands on some season tickets.

Sell most of them, especially the playoff games, and you can actually make some pretty decent cash. But if word gets out that the demand is decreasing, you may see a lot of those people back off from making that initial investment for fear that they're going to get stuck with a lot of unsold tickets.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Agreed. The lockout didn't help but I agree with you about pricing and HDTV. Prices have finally gotten out of the avg persons budget. HDTV has also become a legitimate issue for pro sports. I would much rather stay at home and watch the game on my 60in HDTV with a bunch of friends. We have a much nicer time watching the game not have to worry about buying over priced beer, obnoxious drunken idiots or stuck up snobs who think a sporting event should be a calm and quiet night out. I stopped going to games long ago and don't miss it one bit. $10 gets me a 6er and with good friends and HDTV glory it's a much better experience. If going to games is something new for a person I can see how it might be entertaining but for those who have been there done that it just isn't worth the price anymore.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
You can turn a room into Canuckville for the price of attending a handful of games. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I still lived in the Lower Mainland. I love seeing a game live, but not at the ridiculous price to do so. And if I did go, seeing all the beautiful people on their phones or late to their seats just angers me to no end.

Wizeman*

I still cant believe people pay $300 bucks a ticket to see a hockey game in the middle of January.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
I think maybe the Canucks have finally priced themselves out of the market, especially given that there's a decent chance they'll play a somewhat crappy game and people will feel like they didn't get their money's worth./QUOTE]

Gotta be this. Add on the food parking/transit and beverage costs. It's just far too expensive especially since it has that library reputation.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Somewhat that but probably a number of people were turned-off by the lockout - regardless of who side they supported.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I think to some degree there's still the belief that this season doesn't feel "real". That'll likely change come playoffs, AV being fired, or a Luongo trade.
There's a hurry up and wait feeling, at least for me.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
When the cheapest ticket to a game costs $70, you're alienating a big market of very passionate fans.

Personally, I'd rather spend the $70+ on something that would last longer than 3 hours.

Crows*

HDTV is nice but it's still better being there . I have an 11 game Ice pak at 70 bucks per game.,being there live for Henriks record was well worth the 70 bucks and 6 bucks for skytrain there snd back.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
The Aquilinis could at least invest SOME of the giant pile of $$$ they've made on this team into improving the arena experience. Same crappy food and beer since 1995. At least get us some new lasers or other visual effects. Also fire DJ Dave and I guarantee you demand will triple.

Last edited by a moderator:

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Once you go to the cup final it's hard to get excited about a regular season game. I think it shows in the players as well.

This is exactly it. This is the reason I haven't bothered watching a couple games this season. I'm waiting for the playoffs to start to really get into it.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
i hardly buy tickets because:
-i hate making the trek downtown at night
-i can watch on HD and use PVR for any instant replay
-i don't have to shell out obnoxious amounts of $ for food and snacks
-i don't have to deal with other canucks fans

last one is a big one for me

Dado

All of the above, plus the team is just not producing nearly as exciting a style of play as a couple of years back.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
The stadium provides no draw. As others have said, it's just as enjoyable to watch the game in HD on a big TV. If the stadium provided a more intense atmosphere, people would still want to go to games to experience it. Rogers is great in the playoffs, but it's no secret we aren't the loudest bunch the rest of the time.

I'm sure they will still sell out, but the profits on resales aren't likely to continue unless the team is on a tear again.

Crows*

The Aquilinis could at least invest SOME of the giant pile of $$$ they've made on this team into improving the arena experience. Same crappy food and beer since 1995. At least get us some new lasers or other visual effects. Also fire DJ Dave and I guarantee you demand will triple.

This was a good investment.

med_gallery_841_226_155489.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZenMaster*

Excitement is just not there anymore, most fans have soured and turned bitter. They're scared of being so emotionally vested into the team after the heartbreak of the cup final loss and the arena is too damn quiet, I rather watch it at home with friends.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
This was a good investment.

med_gallery_841_226_155489.jpg

The stat counter barely works, a lot of times nothing comes up.

The odd time it does work, I love how they show face off %, but not the actual face offs taken.

Looks like this:

Raymond 100%

H. Sedin 15%

Kesler 45%

This isn't helpful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->