GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Red Wings - 7EST

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
I'm still hoping that somehow we end up favored by the hockey gods with both top picks so my phrase of choice is "Play Like Poo For One and Two," sidestepping the pronunciation conundrum altogether.

oath5

Oct 23, 2017
Sweden
I'm Swedish and it's DAH-LIIHN. Otherwise his name would have been Dahlen.

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Eagerly awaiting a constant 150% effort from aa for the rest of the season, to avoid embarrassing himself.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I guess that's called a sell-out arena too?
Technically if all the tickets have been sold it is a sell out. I agree that it's a disingenuous term, at least they aren't saying packed house, that's a flat out lie.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think our performance last night shows that Sheahan was the glue holding the team together. We just aren't the same without him.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
What the hell else is so important in that building that you would miss seeing the hockey game for it? People are weird, man.
My friend scored tickets on stubhub in section 110 yesterday. 110 is part of the east club. Complimentary drinks (including beer) and food. And we're not talking $5 hot and readys. Pumpkin ravioli, some dish with venison in it. Actual, good pizza. Tables with wine, cheese, and meats. Your own bathrooms. Fruit bowls. Salads. List goes on.

I get why sections of the lower bowl are always vacant.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Howard has not been garbage. He faced something like 18 shots in the second period alone and a great money of them were from inside the faceoff dots.

It was odd man rush after odd man rush.
Bro, you realize everyone on the internet can be a goaltending coach in the NHL right? They've watched a ton of games.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This was the first game of the season where our D actually looked as bad as their reputation is. There was just zero d-zone coverage, I've rarely seen such wide open spaces for a team as what Vancouver had.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I just think the argument that nobody is qualified to make an assessment about a goalie's performance unless they've been a goaltending coach is not worthwhile.That argument not only says nobody can say for sure that a goalie let in a bad goal unless they've been a goaltending coach, but it also says nobody is qualified to say a goalie did a good job unless they were a goaltending coach. Moreover, it also says that nobody can assess whether defense in front of a goalie was good or bad, unless they've been a coach. So it's a bad argument.

Not that Howard has fallen back into his old problems. Not that the loss was his fault. But at the very least, you have to admit that, based on recent seasons, it wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary if he fell back into the same pattern of play. His last couple of games haven't done wonders for this 'comeback' idea that's being pushed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruce Joker

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I just think the argument that nobody is qualified to make an assessment about a goalie's performance unless they've been a goaltending coach is not worthwhile.That argument not only says nobody can say for sure that a goalie let in a bad goal unless they've been a goaltending coach, but it also says nobody is qualified to say a goalie did a good job unless they were a goaltending coach. Moreover, it also says that nobody can assess whether defense in front of a goalie was good or bad, unless they've been a coach.

Not that Howard has fallen back into his old problems. Not that the loss was his fault. But the very least, you have to admit that, based on his recent history, and last couple of games, it wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary if he fell back into the same pattern of play.
I'd say that given the crapfest that was in front of him, it's hard to draw any solid conclusions from him that game.

But he surely wasn't going to keep his .927 Save % from last season, especially not behind this team. Sample size was a big factor in last year's save %.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'd say that given the crapfest that was in front of him, it's hard to draw any solid conclusions from him that game.

But he surely wasn't going to keep his .927 Save % from last season, especially not behind this team. Sample size was a big factor in last year's save %.

There was a crapfest in front of him. No question in my mind about that. And yeah, I agree.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
We need dekeyser.
XO has been very bad.
Jensen is only a good skater, can't pass or do anything else
Big E still turns it over too much
Kronwall isnt good but has been as bad as those 3 ^
Daley is just ok
Green is pretty good but turns it over here and there

Dekeyser in a xo out would be an improvement. I didn't think we would miss him that much but we do.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
One thing I've seen the last few games with Howard.
1) When the shot is fired, he bunches up, making himself smaller - almost like you would if you were trying not to get hurt.
When he's confident and relaxed, he opens himself up and looks bigger.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
For whatever it's worth, I thought Witkowski actually had a decent game. :shrug:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Is it just me, or are the camera angles worse at the LCA. Things that happen on the near boards are almost impossible to see.
The Witkowski hit reminded of that.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I just think the argument that nobody is qualified to make an assessment about a goalie's performance unless they've been a goaltending coach is not worthwhile.That argument not only says nobody can say for sure that a goalie let in a bad goal unless they've been a goaltending coach, but it also says nobody is qualified to say a goalie did a good job unless they were a goaltending coach. Moreover, it also says that nobody can assess whether defense in front of a goalie was good or bad, unless they've been a coach. So it's a bad argument.

Not that Howard has fallen back into his old problems. Not that the loss was his fault. But at the very least, you have to admit that, based on recent seasons, it wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary if he fell back into the same pattern of play. His last couple of games haven't done wonders for this 'comeback' idea that's being pushed.

It's just another tactic to come out ahead in a debate or to silence opposing opinions. When he first transitioned behind the desk, Jeremy Roenick used to say things like that all the time, leaving some pretty savvy hockey minds like Bob McKenzie rolling their eyes and shaking their head. I mean if you're not qualified to a learned opinion because you've never played or coached in the NHL then I suppose only former NHLers can voice their opinions.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
For whatever it's worth, I thought Witkowski actually had a decent game. :shrug:

I agree. Though his teammates didn't set the bar very high.

There were a few shifts by the 4th line where they kept the puck in the corners of the offensive zone. And Witkowski at least threw a couple decent checks.

They weren't fantastic but they weren't flaming garbage, so better than most of the team.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Gotta be an nhl goaltending coach to say if a goalie played bad or not, playing goalie or being a high school hockey coach means nothing :sarcasm:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Larkin needs to start shooting more, only has 18 shots on the season averaging 2 per game, Not very much. No wonder the goals aren't coming, though he's only shooting at 5% as well. Double that to an average shooting percentage and he still only has 2 goals on the season.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yep I agree. The fourth line with Wilson added and Witkowski actually looked like it had a purpose out there. Witkowski made a really nice pass to someone out front and another chance where he was jamming the net hard, almost had a couple goals. I also think Wilsons speed helps them out a bit.. Honestly, people can say what they want about Witkowski only being a fighter, but he creates as many scoring chances out there or more so far than most of the guys that have been on the fourth line for the last 5 years. He looks no different to Miller, Andersson, Emmerton, even Glendening offensively. But he provides size and toughness as well. Glendening and WIlson can be the fourht line PKers and Witkowski the otughness. Everyone on that line has a role and they seem to work well together in their first game anyways

Its not saying much but I think the fourth line was the best line out there and should be slotted back in for tonights game against Buffalo

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00