Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They followed league protocol, nothing wrong with that. Just an unfortunate turn of events after
All pro teams follow their league's protocols. We saw SF 49ers have to play their final 3 home games in Arizona due to county rules not allowing it.

And this is Easter weekend, so the labs are likely closed on Sunday.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Canucks management should be under fire for allowing a positive player to attend practice. Also Gaudettes wife should not be going out. Just plain stupidity but this is the Canucks as run by Benning so its expected.
Is this really the time to be bringing the Benning narrative into the equation?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It needs to be said - while NHL players might be some of the most physically fit people on the planet, that doesn't necessarily mean they are the healthiest. Think about it - they travel and hop time zones all the time, put their bodies on the line every other night, spend time in insanely unsanitary locker rooms, and have a very high stress job. None of that can be good for your immune system, especially so with the condensed schedule and how their bodies are basically in a constant recovery state (I can't even begin to imagine how many IV treatments plenty of NHLers go through). Look at how fast other viral illnesses have spread around locker rooms over the years. Hell, this is the same league that's had 2 separate mumps outbreaks in the last decade.

We've already had Risto and a couple other players have their asses kicked by long COVID. And now the Canucks have a strain known to be more infectious and be harsher on younger people. I just hope everyone comes out of this not too badly, but it may take a while for badly affected players to recover. Longer than 2 weeks. If that describes more than a small handful, the Canucks might very well have to shut it down if half their team is still battling lingering effects.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
It needs to be said - while NHL players might be some of the most physically fit people on the planet, that doesn't necessarily mean they are the healthiest. Think about it - they travel and hop time zones all the time, put their bodies on the line every other night, spend time in insanely unsanitary locker rooms, and have a very high stress job. None of that can be good for your immune system, especially so with the condensed schedule and how their bodies are basically in a constant recovery state (I can't even begin to imagine how many IV treatments plenty of NHLers go through). Look at how fast other viral illnesses have spread around locker rooms over the years. Hell, this is the same league that's had 2 separate mumps outbreaks in the last decade.
I think (i.e. I HOPE) that with pro hockey being a young person's sport that their immune systems are at their peak strength anyway, regardless of life factors. I think those factors you identified might affect their overall bodily function down the road, but I would think (i.e. I HOPE) not in their 20s.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think (i.e. I HOPE) that with pro hockey being a young person's sport that their immune systems are at their peak strength anyway, regardless of life factors. I think those factors you identified might affect their overall bodily function down the road, but I would think (i.e. I HOPE) not in their 20s.

A strong immune system isn't allways the answer here because part of the problem is that ones own immune system can overreact and attack your own body in bad cases.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's the NHL's contingency for something as serious as this? It's looking like Vancouver won't be playing games for a while, so what's the plan? They dress their AHL squad? Forfeit their remaining games?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
A strong immune system isn't allways the answer here because part of the problem is that ones own immune system can overreact and attack your own body in bad cases.

Exactly.

My 41 years old wife who has no pre-conditions has almost died just before the pandemic, after catching influenza. Her immune system overreacted, causing a sepsis. She spent 4 days in ICU. Imagine what covid variants can do now.

Really bad situation for the Canucks and their families.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
What's the NHL's contingency for something as serious as this? It's looking like Vancouver won't be playing games for a while, so what's the plan? They dress their AHL squad? Forfeit their remaining games?
Realistically, I think the NHL was banking on this happening early in the season during the second wave, and it did happen. I do not think they planned for even more dangerous variants affecting play in April-May, as it goes against what most people expect from this disease (which is infection rates go down as weather gets better).

Reactions: Raistlin1022

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
The biggest concern should be if Hamonic gave it to his immunosuppressed daughter. That's a real risk.

And also, there definitely some staff members who got it that we don't know about and don't know their age. Overall, this is a very serious outbreak as the Brazilian variant has been hospitalizing a lot of young people in Brazil.
Reporting also suggest It was infecting and affecting people who previously had the virus previously

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Screw points percentage

give Van the losses from forfeitures.
They are done for the season. They don’t have enough players to ice I believe.

Jay Beagle is now their 1st line center.

Last edited:

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria

I have no idea but I think the AHL really isn't an option. Our AHL team hasn't played since March 10 due to COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad