Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I wonder how long the Canucks can go on not playing before their season gets shortened. Obviously the player’s/staff’s health is number 1 priority, but it’s going to be very difficult to make up the games they’re about to miss with such a condensed schedule as it is.

If the Canucks miss another, say, 10 days (half their team has covid ffs) then they will have like 7ish games postponed. How will they be able to play out the rest of their schedule (12 games between April 12 and May 8 ) PLUS an additional 7 games?

In the Finnish league the schedule became impossible for some teams to complete in sensible manner due to quarantine's etc. so the order of the teams will be decided by game point average.
But they did decide that before the season started if the situtation arises that not all teams can't complete the full season.

So the NHL doesn't have any official 'what if' plan in place?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
No need to worry. The Canucks can bring in some players from the AHL to fill out the spots. Will give the picks and prospects that otherwise wouldn't get a chance to play their moment to shine. Who knows they could find a new superstar because of this...

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Damn, that is horrible.

The health of the players is paramount. Hockey is secondary. I really hope they all recover from this with good health.

If they need to cancel their season because of it, they should do it and let the team recover.

Good luck Canucks! And good health to the rest of Canada too.
Agreed, health is the most important here, brutal news in Van right now

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I kept thinking the past couple weeks that it was only a matter of time till it hit the Nucks... and unfortunately it did.

Vancouver is a massive hotspot for Covid right now and the variant... I kinda figured someone would get it and it would spread like wildfire thru the team.

Hope for a speedy recovery and nobody gets too sick

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I kept thinking the past couple weeks that it was only a matter of time till it hit the Nucks... and unfortunately it did.

Vancouver is a massive hotspot for Covid right now and the variant... I kinda figured someone would get it and it would spread like wildfire thru the team.

Hope for a speedy recovery and nobody gets too sick

What none of us will never understand (and rightfully so) is "what makes a hot spot". Some of the toughest lockdown places are getting killed with it and some places who allow much more to be open are doing pretty well. Just a odd and unfortunate sickness. Hope the Canucks stay safe and have a speedy recovery.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Yes. How dare she. The protocol is everyone in the household isolate until clear. These are millionaires. If my poor impoverished neighbour with covid can have a friend deliver groceries for them and if I can afford on my government salary to pay someone to do it for me I'm sure millionaires could find a way. She may have now indirectly spread it to 5 people and with the new more aggressive variants, like he has, may have just killed someone. That's the reason we're in this mess. Ignorance and selfishness and no sense of community responsibility.

Don't assume things. You have no idea what NHL players and their wives are doing. You're just pulling stuff out of thin air with no proof

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Not really. It's becoming clear which four teams are going to make the playoffs and which three won't.

Thats already been decided easily. Flames and nucks are done. I’m talking about actually playing the games

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Thats already been decided easily. Flames and nucks are done. I’m talking about actually playing the games
Does it really mess to the division of some teams miss 3-4 games. If it was a tight race for 4th yes. As you state, it isn't.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
So what happen now? The Canucks is going to fill the team with AHL replacement or the NHLwill shut down the Canucks and use winning percentage as ranking?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
So what happen now? The Canucks is going to fill the team with AHL replacement or the NHLwill shut down the Canucks and use winning percentage as ranking?
Couple factors that are at issue.

1.) Canucks farm club is in Utica so any player recall would face quarantine

2.) Utica Comets are dealing with covid cluster of their own and haven't played in 3 weeks.

3.) Canucks cant emergency recall CHL prospects because well sadly we don't have any. Thanks Jimbo.

Basically if the number grows beyond the current 8... they won't have the ability to ice a hockey team unless the Utica situation clears up in a hurry.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Has the league stated how the covid protocol will be handled in the playoffs? I can't imagine the league would postpone an entire playoff series. Will the team just have to play with any players they have that aren't positive?

Reactions: Nikki Potnick

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Has the league stated how the covid protocol will be handled in the playoffs? I can't imagine the league would postpone an entire playoff series. Will the team just have to play with any players they have that aren't positive?

I don't think there is anything outlined.

I'm pretty sure they've got an extra week at the end of the season to catch up. But will they use 2 weeks if needed?

I expect the league will reschedule some games essentially moving up games between other teams so that they have room to cram in Canucks games later.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
No need to worry. The Canucks can bring in some players from the AHL to fill out the spots. Will give the picks and prospects that otherwise wouldn't get a chance to play their moment to shine. Who knows they could find a new superstar because of this...

As a Nucks fan, I’d be fine with this. . But their ahl team is based in the states and players would have to quarantine before being allowed to even practice . . We’d likely be healthy by the time the callups can play

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Cancel the remainder of the Canucks games and go by points percentage in the North to determine seeding. It’s not like the playoff spots haven’t already been decided in this division.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
I don't think there is anything outlined.

I'm pretty sure they've got an extra week at the end of the season to catch up. But will they use 2 weeks if needed?

I expect the league will reschedule some games essentially moving up games between other teams so that they have room to cram in Canucks games later.
I think he's referring to the playoffs series. Are they going to do another bubble do "guarantee" no outbreak. Or will they follow the same procedures as the regular season, in which case you have to suspect there will be an outbreak.
How is the league prepared to handle that? Postpone the series? Force them to play with whatever players that are healthy? Team forfeits series?

I'd imagine it'd be another bubble format, but think the players would want to fight that as well.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
They will have to play 19 games in 22 days, it would make more sense to just shut them down at this point
It's 28 days if they start on the 12th. If by some fluke Vancouver gets within striking distance of 4th, the league has no choice but to extend the regular season.
Nucks we're already boned in January with the way their schedule went from no preseason to 18 games in 27 days with 1 Goddamn practise.
People say quit making excuses but to literally go into the season still full of rust and then have no practise time never- mind the absolute stupidity for example going from Calgary, on a Saturday back to Vancouver for a game monday, then travel to Montreal for a game Tuesday, then play again Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, for six games in 8 days is brutal.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It's 28 days if they start on the 12th. If by some fluke Vancouver gets within striking distance of 4th, the league has no choice but to extend the regular season.
Nucks we're already boned in January with the way their schedule went from no preseason to 18 games in 27 days with 1 Goddamn practise.
People say quit making excuses but to literally go into the season still full of rust and then have no practise time never- mind the absolute stupidity for example going from Calgary, on a Saturday back to Vancouver for a game monday, then travel to Montreal for a game Tuesday, then play again Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, for six games in 8 days is brutal.

They played really well against Montreal though. They didn't seem rusty or disorganized. Not sure that can be an excuse.

Reactions: Declassified
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->