GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Boston Bruins 7pm - Nesn + 98.5. YOU HAVE NO HEART

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Kelly IMO is a whipping boy (this season so is Louie).

Thornton I think is more the writing on the wall. He's a 36 year old enforcer-he's hitting the end of his road I think.

I like Thornton, I love the fact that he isn't a total waste of a roster spot when he plays (even though I think his game is fading he does still contribute). But his time in the NHL is drawing to a close-it's okay to say that.

I would like to see the team look to replacing him (I liked Florek on that line although he only played a few games). I like Thornton better than Caron.

The constant bit picking of Kelly and Louie annoy me-but watching Thornton's game get weaker makes me sad because I like him and can see the writing on the wall. I suspect he sees that too.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Everyone gets hit hard with injuries. I never really thought of it till Mike mentioned it. Who are the "IT" players for the Nucks? Sedins and Kesler? Don't think any of those 3 are producing. They traded a good young center for someone they thought was a Lucic clone and isn't. The Schneider trade was dumb. Team needs to re-tool this off season.

These are all good points.

Seems like the Canucks have made some bad moves and they are just collecting pieces without much thought to how that player fits their team.

Trading for Kassian was probably one of the more stupid moves and I think they let some players walk that they needed to keep (but realize the cap may have made it happen).

I think the Cannucks problem is currently more of a GM issue than a coaching one (although I think changing coaches was the right move I also think the GM has made the team worse not better and the window is closing on the Sedins).

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Time in the NHL ends for all and Thornton for a goon had a damn good career, 2 Cups in 2 great cities. His time is ending but at 36 and an enforcer he has already played over 500 games and 10 years in the league.

Sure the Bruins have whipping boys in Kelly/Eriksson, but after the Olympics Eriksson is going to be on fire (I hope) and the trade will look less lopsided as when Seguin was getting constant 4 point nights and Eriksson was in the press box concussed.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Time in the NHL ends for all and Thornton for a goon had a damn good career, 2 Cups in 2 great cities. His time is ending but at 36 and an enforcer he has already played over 500 games and 10 years in the league.

Sure the Bruins have whipping boys in Kelly/Eriksson, but after the Olympics Eriksson is going to be on fire (I hope) and the trade will look less lopsided as when Seguin was getting constant 4 point nights and Eriksson was in the press box concussed.

I thought Eriksson looked pretty good last night, despite not having any points. I think last night was the first time I saw him wind up and take a slap shot (it was blocked) and then I think later he had a one-timer that might have also been blocked. He seemed to be moving a faster than he has all year. I'm hoping he has a solid Olympics because I think that'll do wonders for his confidence.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I think people worry too much about Thronton. ..Is he the 12th forward??? Yup Is there a better option?? Sometimes... Will he play in the playoffs?? Probably not... Will he be resigned?? Nope..

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I think people worry too much about Thronton. ..Is he the 12th forward??? Yup Is there a better option?? Sometimes... Will he play in the playoffs?? Probably not... Will he be resigned?? Nope..

He's played in the finals 2 of the past 3 years, once ahead of Seguin. He's been a healthy scratch 2 times this year to get Caron some time, I'd say it's a safe bet he plays in the playoffs.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
He's played in the finals 2 of the past 3 years, once ahead of Seguin. He's been a healthy scratch 2 times this year to get Caron some time, I'd say it's a safe bet he plays in the playoffs.

I could be wrong but , I am not so sure you play Thorton in the playoffs. His skill set has slipped and the need for an enforcer is really not that necessary in the playoffs. IMO there are better options than playing Thorton . Time has caught up to him, sad but true

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I could be wrong but , I am not so sure you play Thorton in the playoffs. His skill set has slipped and the need for an enforcer is really not that necessary in the playoffs. IMO there are better options than playing Thorton . Time has caught up to him, sad but true

You don't have to convince me, this has been a conversation for the past 3 years, but he always makes his way back into the lineup.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Everyone gets hit hard with injuries. I never really thought of it till Mike mentioned it. Who are the "IT" players for the Nucks? Sedins and Kesler? Don't think any of those 3 are producing. They traded a good young center for someone they thought was a Lucic clone and isn't. The Schneider trade was dumb. Team needs to re-tool this off season.

Not many teams have 5 defensemen out at once.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I couldn't think of another thread to post this in, so here goes...

The Bruins have 27 games remaining. It's a rather tough schedule.
  • 59% of those games (16) will be played on the road.
  • 59% of those games (16) will be part of back-to-backs.
  • 63% of those games (17) will be played in March.
  • A bit of better news, the average winning percentage of the Bruins' remaining opponents is ~.475.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

• A bit of better news, the average winning percentage of the Bruins' remaining opponents is ~.475.

jesus, what is with all these back-to-backs? Does anyone know of any stats on which teams are playing the most back to back games? I have to think the Bruins are top 5 in the league in that category. And the one from a few weeks ago where they played LA and Chicago back to back with travel was just ridiculous. In fact those two games were so poorly scheduled they had to adjust the start times of both because they didn't even give the Bruins 24 hours between games.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
jesus, what is with all these back-to-backs? Does anyone know of any stats on which teams are playing the most back to back games? I have to think the Bruins are top 5 in the league in that category. And the one from a few weeks ago where they played LA and Chicago back to back with travel was just ridiculous. In fact those two games were so poorly scheduled they had to adjust the start times of both because they didn't even give the Bruins 24 hours between games.
I'm not sure about other teams' back-to-backs, but all 8 of the remaining back-to-back Bruins' situations involve travel. However, none involve any long-distance travel.

4 of the 8 back-to-backs include less than 24 hours between start times: Lightning/Panthers, Canadiens/Coyotes(in Boston), Wild(in Boston)/Devils and Red Wings/Maple Leafs.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Pretty sure I read somewhere that new jersey had the most

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

I remember looking at our March schedule at the start of the season and cringing.
I'm glad this team is at least in good shape in the standings before that month comes along because good lord.
I'm also glad we've become more comfortable with Johnson in net considering the amount of back to backs in our future.

mmonty

Mar 9, 2013
I have a theory. You can judge the quality of a team simply by measuring how good/bad it's whipping boy is. No matter how good or bad a team is there, is always one or two whipping boys.

Could you expand on that?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Could you expand on that?

Don't want to speak for Dr. Seldon, but he's basically saying that no matter how stacked a team is its fans will always find 1 or 2 players to complain about no matter what. The better that player actually is, regardless of fan opinion, is a strong indicator of the strength of that team. if the only players "we" can consistent complain about are Chris Kelly and Loui Eriksson things are pretty good. If it was Mark Mowers and Jeff Hoggan things may not be so rosy.

Dr Seldon

Mar 11, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Don't want to speak for Dr. Seldon, but he's basically saying that no matter how stacked a team is its fans will always find 1 or 2 players to complain about no matter what. The better that player actually is, regardless of fan opinion, is a strong indicator of the strength of that team. if the only players "we" can consistent complain about are Chris Kelly and Loui Eriksson things are pretty good. If it was Mark Mowers and Jeff Hoggan things may not be so rosy.

Bingo.

Regardless of how good a team is, there will always be one or two whipping boys. The Mowers to Kelly example was really good, and shows the progress that the Bruins have made.

You could also look at the olympic teams. It seems like Rick Nash has gotten that role for Team Canada (from what I've read). You know you have a pretty good squad if he is your whipping boy. For Team Sweden I would say it's either Tallinder or Oduya. While not to bad either, it shows that the Canadians have a better team (on paper at least ;))

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad