Player Discussion Vancouver Canucks All-Time Team

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think you did a reasonable job. Kesler is the only omission I would say should be on the main squad hands down. I’d be curious to see two all-time teams balanced out to play each other. Something like...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi
Rota - Smyl - Gradin
Boeser - Horvat - Demitra

Jovanovski - Ohlund
Lumme-Ehrhoff
Kearns-Bieksa

Luongo
Brodeur

Coach - Alain Vigneault

Bure - Linden - Adams
Courtnall - Ronning - Mogilny
Tanti - Sandstrom - Skriko
Sundin - Pettersson - Kesler

Edler - Salo
Reinhart-Lidster
Babych-McCarthy

McLean
Markstrom

Coach - Pat Quinn

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I only had so many spots! We probably would need two teams to accommodate everyone that deserves to be on the all-time team.

I dunno. Doesn't it go against the main premise to come up with two teams?

Either they are All-Time Canucks, or they aren't, IMO.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
12 forwards: Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kesler, Linden, Bure, Tanti, Gradin, Ronning, Smyl

6 defensemen: Ohlund, Salo, Edler, Lumme, Bieksa, Babych

2 Goalies: Luongo, MacLean

Coach: AV

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Burrows on the first line...nah.

Also The Steamer doesn't play the off wing; get Linden over there.

*Paul Reinhart and Dennis Kearns could have helped that pp.

Honorable mention should also go to Rosaire Paiment, Dennis Ververgaert and Gary 'Suitcase' Smith while Richard Brodeur could have edged out Kirk MacLean for the backup job, should probably be a tie there.

But other than that, great job ;)

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I think you did a reasonable job. Kesler is the only omission I would say should be on the main squad hands down. I’d be curious to see two all-time teams balanced out to play each other. Something like...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi
Rota - Smyl - Gradin
Boeser - Horvat - Demitra

Jovanovski - Ohlund
Lumme-Ehrhoff
Kearns-Bieksa

Luongo
Brodeur

Coach - Alain Vigneault

Bure - Linden - Adams
Courtnall - Ronning - Mogilny
Tanti - Sandstrom - Skriko
Sundin - Pettersson - Kesler

Edler - Salo
Reinhart-Lidster
Babych-McCarthy

McLean
Markstrom

Coach - Pat Quinn

This is an interesting take. And I am actually looking forward to seeing if in a few years Peterson deserves to be on this list- God, I hope so.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Too much emphasis on keeping some RL lines together. Plus, as much as I love Burrows and Morrison, neither merit a spot on an all time roster. And besides, for some reason Mogilny and Bure didn’t seem to work on the same line.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Bertuzzi
Naslund - Pettersson - Bure
Tanti - Linden - Mogilny
Gelinas - Kesler - Schmautz

HM: Horvat, Rota, Smyl, Boudrias and Gradin

Tanev - Jovo
Ohlund - Lumme
Salo - Edler

HM: Snepsts, Erhoff, Brown
IR: Reinhardt

Luongo
McLean
Smith

Coach: Quinn
GM: Quinn

I don’t know if Gelinas and Schmautz really fit any more than Burrows and Morrison, but they are two of my all-time favourite Canucks and I think a line of Kesler, Schmautz amd Gelinas would drive other teams crazy. Might have to put Gino on the roster just to keep ‘em honest.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Too much emphasis on keeping some RL lines together. Plus, as much as I love Burrows and Morrison, neither merit a spot on an all time roster. And besides, for some reason Mogilny and Bure didn’t seem to work on the same line.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Bertuzzi
Naslund - Pettersson - Bure
Tanti - Linden - Mogilny
Gelinas - Kesler - Schmautz

HM: Horvat, Rota, Smyl, Boudrias and Gradin

Tamed - Jovo
Ohlund - Lumme
Salo - Edler

HM: Snepsts, Erhoff, Brown
IR: Reinhardt

Luongo
McLean
Smith

GM: Quinn

I don’t know if Gelinas and Schmautz really fit any more than Burrows and Morrison, but they are two of my all-time favourite Canucks and I think a line of Kesler, Schmautz amd Gelinas would drive other teams crazy. Might have to put Gino on the roster just to keep ‘em honest.
Sometimes I forget about him (granted I wasn't even a teenager when he was a Canuck heh); though I still give Brodeur the slight edge for the 3rd spot.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Up front you had actual lines for the most part. On D the pairings rarely to almost never played with each other, which is fine. I agree with Kesler over Horvat.

I'm not so sure Salo should be included. I also think it's hard to leave out Paul Reinhart and Ehrhoff who actually were the two best offensive Dmen we ever had. Ehrhoff was like Lumme except Ehrhoff didn't play as many seasons.

Pat Quinn being the coach over AV for me.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Coach: Vigneault

Sedin - Sedin - Bure
Naslund - Linden - Bertuzzi
Tanti - Gradin - Mogilny
Burrows - Kesler - Smyl
Ronning
Morrison

Ohlund - Salo
Edler - Lumme
Jovanovski - Bieksa/Lidster
Hamhuis/Kearns

Luongo
McLean
Brodeur

The right side on defense for this organization is disastrous.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

Sedin-Sedin-Linden
Nazzy-Pettersson-Bert
Tanti-Kesler-Bure
Smyl-Gradin/Mogilny
HM: Horvat/Ronning/Courtnall/Adams/

Ohlund-Salo
Hamhuis-Lumme
Babych-Lidster
HM: Kearns/Bieksa/W.Mitchell

Goalie:
McLean
Luongo
It's early for Petersson and Horvat but I think it's only a matter of time.

I'm sure I missed someone...

Feb 24, 2017
Adrian Aucoin had a good career and even a 23(?) goal season from the blue line. I don’t think it would be crazy including him to prop up the right handed side.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
my roster

H.Sedin D.Sedin Bure
Gradin Naslund Bertuzzi
Ronning Courtnall Linden
Kesler Burrows Smyl

Edler Lumme
Ohlund Bieksa
Jovanovski Salo

Luongo
McLean

spares - Morrison Adams Tanti Snepsts Lidster Brodeur

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Roger Nielson was a great coach. Quinn was a pretty good defenseman. Williams could play. Larionov was a genius. This exercise would be easier if the Canucks had ever won a cup.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Bobby Schmautz would be on my team. I assume no Neely or Messier because we are only including the talent level of the players during their time here. Neely had 2 full seasons, Messier had 3.

Also Hlinka and bubla would likely make my team as well. in particular, if it was in their prime. two of the best to ever play here. Larianov would be hard to leave off as well.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I was going to say the same thing, but I would have included Krutov, one of the best players to ever play the game.

Jack McIlhargey needs some love. Stay at home defense, intimidation, leadership, and assistant coach that stayed through several bosses.

Just as Mogilny and Bure cannot play on the same line together - and both need to be on the first line to produce - the Sedins can't produce when the West Coast Express is in the lineup.

Tony "50 goal scorer on any other team" Tanti was a garbage goal scorer. I'd say Patrick Sundstrum was the better talent on that line.

For GM, I'd say Burke. We've never had an exceptional one. Quinn gets credit for fleecing Ron Caron repeatedly but he should have always stayed the coach.

If we had swapped McCammon's and Quinn's roles, McCammon would have shown that he would have been as great GM for Vancouver as he was with Philadelphia.

AV was a lousy coach his first year (yes, the year he won the Jack Adams). He had to get schooled by management to make him coach a team to actually score goals. His system was good after that but it fell apart when he lost the depth of talent because he couldn't make adjustments in lines in the 3rd period.

No love for Crow? He berated this team to at least try to be competitive and they ended up as overachievers (Naslund) ultimately going on full offense. He taught Jovanaski and Ohlund to have happy feat while running every goaltender out of town until they found one that could work with the system. Crow had problem though is he always needed someone to pick on, so he would guys like Adrian Aucoin out of town.

Either way, Quinn and Roger for coach :) .

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Okay, after more thought I like this line up

Sedin Sedin Bure
Naslund Peterson Bertuzzi
Boeser Hlinka Mogilny
Schmautz Larionov Linden

HM - Sundstrom Burrows Kesler Gradin

Ohland Salo
Edler Bubla
Lumme Jovanovski

HM Bieksa Reinhardt

Luongo McLean

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not quite getting how Horvat is on the alltime team/mentionable, yet Burrows is left off some teams. How does that add up?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Okay, after more thought I like this line up

Sedin Sedin Bure
Naslund Peterson Bertuzzi
Boeser Hlinka Mogilny
Schmautz Larionov Linden

HM - Sundstrom Burrows Kesler Gradin

Ohland Salo
Edler Bubla
Lumme Jovanovski

HM Bieksa Reinhardt

Luongo McLean

Getting more and more confused on these alltime teams - Boeser on the team, let alone over someone like Burrows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad