Vancouver Canucks 2019-20

Corey Bryant

Mar 27, 2014
Choteau, Montana
Offense: The bit of sting in the Canucks attack is concentrated only in a few forwards, and any improvement rests on the discovery of a few forwards who can pop in a few surprise goals now and then to take away the predictability of the offense.
It’s true that Elias Pettersson had a very good rookie year with 28 goals and 66 points. Bo Horvat had 27 goals and Brock Boeser had 26. After that, though, you had to drop down to defenseman Alexander Edler with 10 goals before you saw any offense.
Strong defensive play is fine, but it must be executed by players who can go to the attack when the need arises. The Canucks need more of that type.
Defense: It’s a good thing that the Canucks have Jacob Markstrom in goal. He can make the necessary saves whenever the defense lapses. The defense isn’t that bad, but is, to be charitable, ordinary. It didn’t help that Alexander Edler missed 26 games with injuries last year. Troy Stecher was impressive with a +9 defensive rating. Christopher Tanev was +3. Much more is expected from Derrick Pouliot and Alex Biega. Luke Schenn, obtained from Anaheim in the deal that sent Michael Del Zotto packing, should help.
A player to watch: young Quinn Hughes.
Outlook: The Canucks will plug and plod, bump and grind, but in an era where flash and flair are in, a .500 season is the best they can do.
If Jacob Markstrom can repeat his previous heroics, that would be a big plus.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Outlook: The Canucks will plug and plod, bump and grind, but in an era where flash and flair are in, a .500 season is the best they can do.
True enough, but as we all know, this is obviously not 100% true.
No one will (most likely) predict who will be on top next season, as Vegas showed us last year and the Islanders are showing this year.
I think .500 is not the best they can do, they had .500 this season. If the offense sees a bloom next season, we have good defense, and Markstrom/Demko is a good goalie Tandem, I could possibly see us making the Playoffs.

Reactions: Windy River

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Canucks ownership has been knee capping their own rebuild for the last few years insisting they try and remain competitive and push for the postseason. If they did a proper tear down they’re future would look a lot brighter.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Bottom 5 finish then will pick 7th or 8th post lottery draft. benning will then trade the pick for an aging veteran.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Another mediocre season. Why not just tank hard and get some players instead of this weird position of not being good/bad enough

Reactions: Son of Petter

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Lists every dman but ignores Ben Hutton.

Why does this post exist?

The post lacks any credibility when the OP includes, as part of next years team, a pending free agent D who was a healthy scratch for the last month of the season in favour of 2 AHLers and a college free agent.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Yes, but not low enough. They need to acquire some top 3 picks

Not really. Our actual good players haven't been the problem. It's just a horribly constructed roster with a bottom 6 and winger core that needs to be cleaned up.

Having guys like Pettersson and Hughes establish themselves as high-end talents would be way more important for this franchise than landing top 3 odds.

Last edited:

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
I, for one, think we can make the playoffs next year. We were supposed to be, hands down, the worst team in the NHL last year. 4 of our 5 best players are under 23 and 3 of those are 21 and under. I think it's reasonable to assume that they could get 5-6 extra wins next year and sneak in.

Reactions: Windy River

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
I’m confused as to what the point of this, lol.

This post basically just summarizes the 2018-2019 Canucks. The season just ended, and many expect this to be a big offseason for us. I mean yes, if they bring back almost the exact same team then I guess this is relevant, but shouldn’t you wait at least until after the draft (and probably July 1) before making a season outlook summary or whatever?

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Another mediocre season. Why not just tank hard and get some players instead of this weird position of not being good/bad enough

This doesn't work anymore. Colorado finished last in 2017 and fell to 5th and this year they had the last place pick and fell to 4th.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I expect a bit of a sophomore slump from Pettersson, but a resurgence from Boeser... so break even there.

QH is bit of a wild card, I think he'll help with the O, but will need some protection in his own end.

Other than that, outside of some kind of home run FA signing(s) or a pick/prospect that can step up, make the squad and move the needle in a positive direction, the team next year is going to be more of the same. But keep in mind that Benning sucks at FA signings, a 10th OA pick is unlikely to immediately jump into the pros and make much of a difference and our remaining prospects are works in progress, at best.

I suspect that the West improves in general next year and I don't see the Canucks keeping pace. Barring some kind of miracle, they should finish in the bottom 10 again. At least yet another craptastic season should finally do Benning in... hopefully before he wreaks too much havoc in a last ditch effort to save his job.

PuckMasterZero

Mar 3, 2019
Offense: The bit of sting in the Canucks attack is concentrated only in a few forwards, and any improvement rests on the discovery of a few forwards who can pop in a few surprise goals now and then to take away the predictability of the offense.
It’s true that Elias Pettersson had a very good rookie year with 28 goals and 66 points. Bo Horvat had 27 goals and Brock Boeser had 26. After that, though, you had to drop down to defenseman Alexander Edler with 10 goals before you saw any offense.
Strong defensive play is fine, but it must be executed by players who can go to the attack when the need arises. The Canucks need more of that type.
Defense: It’s a good thing that the Canucks have Jacob Markstrom in goal. He can make the necessary saves whenever the defense lapses. The defense isn’t that bad, but is, to be charitable, ordinary. It didn’t help that Alexander Edler missed 26 games with injuries last year. Troy Stecher was impressive with a +9 defensive rating. Christopher Tanev was +3. Much more is expected from Derrick Pouliot and Alex Biega. Luke Schenn, obtained from Anaheim in the deal that sent Michael Del Zotto packing, should help.
A player to watch: young Quinn Hughes.
If you're expecting anything from Derrick Pouliot you are gonna have a bad time.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Terribly misinformed post. The Canucks had the worst record in the NHL from 2015-2018. Were those “mediocre” seasons? Btw our first rounders were 5th, 5th, and 7th over the course of those three seasons. Point being that you can be the worst team in the NHL over a 3 or 4 year stretch and still not get a single top 3 pick.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
maybe theyll win for once (the lottery)
Yeah i think so, Canucks are do with all the losing the lottery the last few years, the odds are in their favour to get a win next season if there another bottom team - which is a super likely possibility

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad