Proposal: Vancouver-Arizona

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hey Coyotes fans, I’m just coming by to gauge what your fan base would want to take on a cap dump.

i proposed this over on the Canucks board and it seems like others in our fan base would be on board so i wanted to see if it’s because the value is too favourable to Vancouver.

Arizona revives:
Tucker Poolman
Mike Dipietro
2023 3rd round pick

Canucks receive:
Future considerations

Poolman has 3 more seasons at 2.5M left on his deal. He’s been fine as a #6 just overpaid 1-1.5M. You can find guys for 1M or less that will do a comparable job. The issue is, the Canucks have too many #6 dmen. We have the most or 2nd most expensive blue line whilst it’s filled with #6 dmen especially #6 rhd with hamonic/poolman/Burroughs/schenn all playing that role adequately enough.

Dipietro in training camp looked poised for a breakout season but has actually stalled. It doesn’t help that the team d down in Abbotsford tends to be close to non existent in front of their goalies. I’d value dipietro as a 3rd round pick still.

would this be enough value to dump poolman onto your team?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm just thrilled it's not a former 1st with several red flags plus cap dump plus 2nd rounder for Chychrun deal.

We'll almost certainly take some cap dumps at the TDL or off season. Not sure we want 3 years of cap dump though. So far every deal has been 1-2 years.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hey Coyotes fans, I’m just coming by to gauge what your fan base would want to take on a cap dump.

i proposed this over on the Canucks board and it seems like others in our fan base would be on board so i wanted to see if it’s because the value is too favourable to Vancouver.

Arizona revives:
Tucker Poolman
Mike Dipietro
2023 3rd round pick

Canucks receive:
Future considerations

Poolman has 3 more seasons at 2.5M left on his deal. He’s been fine as a #6 just overpaid 1-1.5M. You can find guys for 1M or less that will do a comparable job. The issue is, the Canucks have too many #6 dmen. We have the most or 2nd most expensive blue line whilst it’s filled with #6 dmen especially #6 rhd with hamonic/poolman/Burroughs/schenn all playing that role adequately enough.

Dipietro in training camp looked poised for a breakout season but has actually stalled. It doesn’t help that the team d down in Abbotsford tends to be close to non existent in front of their goalies. I’d value dipietro as a 3rd round pick still.

Can we dump the mediocre goalie prospect and make it Poolman and a 2x2nds for nothing?

Reactions: ck26

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I remember alot of us were in favor of signing Poolman as a UFA last summer, so I'd be up for taking him in a trade.

2022 3rd and 2023 2nd should do it

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Can we dump the mediocre goalie prospect and make it Poolman and a 2x2nds for nothing?
2 2nds is way too high of an ask. At most, poolman can be considered a 1.75M dump x 3 years. His roster spot would still cost a minimum of 750k cap space. It’s next to impossible to find established nhl rhd that will sign for league minimum though.

Dipietro doesn’t have to be apart of the deal but I figured he could be a prospect imo the Canucks should part with if they can dump salary. If he is not, I’d reach out to other teams like Buffalo, detroit, Ottawa that have a history of also taking on cap dumps for assets.

I like dipietro but I want to part with him because he is an asset that is a luxury for the Canucks. He’s only 3-4 years younger than Demko and even if he hits his potential, he won’t be better than Demko. So he will be stuck playing 2nd fiddle here for the prime of his career kinda like how schneider was for awhile. Not saying dipietro has the chance to peak at Schneider’s level.

I picked the coyotes because (to my knowledge) they don’t have any young nhl goalie now or any highly touted ones in the pipeline. Having one more B level goalie prospect helps the odds one of them hits.

Reactions: PainForShane

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I remember alot of us were in favor of signing Poolman as a UFA last summer, so I'd be up for taking him in a trade.

2022 3rd and 2023 2nd should do it
Honestly that’s what I came here expecting the ask to be. Its a fair ask but one we would decline.

I don’t think the Canucks will be in a position to direly need the extra 1.75M next season. If the Canucks dont absolutely need the space, that's a price we'd be better off holding onto him or buying him out at instead.

The Canucks cap should be manageable enough we could just keep him next season. A buyout after next season w0uld only be 500k x 2 and 1M x 2.

I was hoping the price may be low enough it sucks but is worth doing to free up the roster spot to try and find a NCAA/Euro free agent that may earn it and be a long term fit. Sounds like the price may be at a point it would make more sense just keeping him though.

Appreciate the input so far!

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
2 2nds is way too high of an ask. At most, poolman can be considered a 1.75M dump x 3 years. His roster spot would still cost a minimum of 750k cap space. It’s next to impossible to find established nhl rhd that will sign for league minimum though.

Dipietro doesn’t have to be apart of the deal but I figured he could be a prospect imo the Canucks should part with if they can dump salary. If he is not, I’d reach out to other teams like Buffalo, detroit, Ottawa that have a history of also taking on cap dumps for assets.

I like dipietro but I want to part with him because he is an asset that is a luxury for the Canucks. He’s only 3-4 years younger than Demko and even if he hits his potential, he won’t be better than Demko. So he will be stuck playing 2nd fiddle here for the prime of his career kinda like how schneider was for awhile. Not saying dipietro has the chance to peak at Schneider’s level.

I picked the coyotes because (to my knowledge) they don’t have any young nhl goalie now or any highly touted ones in the pipeline. Having one more B level goalie prospect helps the odds one of them hits.
Will be tons of league min guys we can choose from that don’t carry 3 years of term.

we just signed Anson Thorton on a loophole as a undrafted 18 year old. Prosvotov we all like and could be in the NHL as early as next year.

the price has typically been a pick per year under contract. Now given the cap hit here is less i rolled the price back to 2x2nds. Maybe one is a 3rd but based on BA’s history he doesn’t waver too much from a high price.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the Coyotes have too many guys who can play bottom pairing D-men as is, without a clear idea of what the D-corps looks like next season.

Chychrun (?)
Ghost (?)
Lyubushkin (?)

Mayo
Moser
Capobianco
Dineen
Timmins
Soderstrom
Kolyachonok

Also, we have a huge amount of cap we need to take on to get to the cap floor. Poolman's caphit is too modest to really make a dent. If we're taking on a cap dump, we need it to be more along the lines of Stralman.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I think the Coyotes have too many guys who can play bottom pairing D-men as is, without a clear idea of what the D-corps looks like next season.

Chychrun (?)
Ghost (?)
Lyubushkin (?)

Mayo
Moser
Capobianco
Dineen
Timmins
Soderstrom
Kolyachonok

Also, we have a huge amount of cap we need to take on to get to the cap floor. Poolman's caphit is too modest to really make a dent. If we're taking on a cap dump, we need it to be more along the lines of Stralman.
Well if you need a bigger cap dump, we have Poolman + Pearson. I would imagine the price would not be worth it though

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Well if you need a bigger cap dump, we have Poolman + Pearson. I would imagine the price would not be worth it though
Single player dumps are what we're looking for. We have a lot of inexpensive players who need playing time.

Pearson's deal is backloaded, he has a modified trade clause, and he's still producing. Probably not quite what BA is looking for.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

I mean, we literally have only 7 players signed for next year (one of them is Andrew Ladd and another is Timmins who may or may not count as an NHLer), so I feel like we will likely be taking lots of cap dumps in the offseason. And also you're right, we probably will need some sort of a goalie at some point (Vejmelka might be good enough for a rebuilding team though, we'll know more by the end of the year, also Prosvetov may be ready soon-ish but who knows really). Also I like Tucker Poolman but imo his age / term doesn't really fit with the rebuild. But, the draft pick fits with the rebuild.

All of that said, whatever offer you make has to include a second round pick (not a 3rd) because that's all our GM is interested in. It is known.

Anyway I would do the deal if you offered a 2nd instead of the 3rd, that is just me though. Well thought out from your side, thanks for that

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Arizona revives:
Tucker Poolman
Mike Dipietro
2023 3rd round pick

Canucks receive:
Future considerations

Make it a 2nd, and I’m game. Also, we’ll keep the future considerations. We learned last off-season they aren’t required. Haha. I had no idea. But AZ pulled off multiple “no return” trades. Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad