Confirmed with Link: [VAN/VGK] Canucks acquire F Brendan Leipsic for D Philip Holm

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yes it is rare that these castoffs become nhl players but that's not the argument. The argument is I don't think there is much of a difference by getting castoffs vs a pick from 2nd to 7th. Yes there are a players waive all the time but I am not counting the Grenier because they had never upside to begin with. I am stretching back because a trade is a different from a draft. From a draft there are 180 picks from round 2 to 7. 186 now. Trades there about 20 to 30 a year and not all of them are casts off trades. Also lot of players they don't stick around in the nhl organization for a long time and decide to go to Europe insteqd

There are more I thought of Stralman, Grabner, Sharp, B Clark, Kunitz, Muzzin, W Kalrsson, Haula, Schutz, Steen, Teravainen, Marchestsault, J Blake, Knuble,

Benning had 23 picks from round 2 to round 7 in the last 4 years. So if one of them become a a top 6 F/top 4 D. That means 4% our of all those pucks became top 6 f/top 4 D.

I randomly pulled up 2010 drafts from round 2 to round 7. I only saw 6 legit top 4 F/top 4 D. Fraulk, Toffoli, Zucker, Gallagher, Klingberg, Stone, that draft was about 3% chance.

Very hard you to convince me a castsoff doesn't have a 3% chance to become a top 6 F/top 4. I listed 20 examples already

Some drafts may harder but it won't be higher by that much.

Well part of the problem is you’re using rounds 2-7 interchangeably when there is a huge difference between round 2 and round 7. I’d suggest limiting it to rounds 2-5 since 6ths and 7ths are not really the complaint here and most of Benning’s trades have either involved giving up a pick in this range (Vey, Pedan, Pouliot, Baertschi) or acquiring reclamation’s in lieu of picks in this range (Goldobin, Motte, Leipsic). The bottom two rounds aren’t really a factor.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Those three are $8.65m and I disagree about having room. A good backup is $2m+ at least. A decent UFA dman is $2m+. Nobody good is coming for $4.6m to play on a badly run tank team.

I guarantee you can find a better backup goalie than Nilsson for less than $2M.

Look at Toronto,

Andersen $5M
McElhenney $875K
Pickard $1M
Sparks $675K

That's a good starter for 5M and 3 NHL quality backups all with more upside and better numbers than Nilsson and you can have all 3 for the same price as Nilsson.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
A lot of people do not seem to understand that you do not actually trade for players, and that players are not static assets that have some kind of fixed value. In reality, you are trading for a contract, and the value of that contract depends upon the player and where they are at in their career. A draft pick holds value because it allows you the rights to deal exclusively with a player and basically have him for cheap for a fixed length of time, and if that player turns out then you are making out like bandits. Having a guy like Boeser on the team for his salary is absolutely tremendous value, and we will be the only team allowed to sign him for the next six years.

When you trade for some cast off you are generally getting someone near the end of this window, so even if they "pan out" you are not reaping a lot of surplus value because the player's price will shoot up almost in time with his performance. Having a guy like Baertschi on the team for 4M doesn't really give you much of anything because you should be able to replace him at a similar cost on the free agency market.

If this were not true, and if it were instead true that you can evaluate pick-for-player trades just on the merits of the odds of returning an NHL player, then it would be the correct strategy to trade all of your picks, nearly 100% of the time. If it were correct to trade a 2nd for a guy like Leipsic because Leipsic is probably a better player than you will get with the second, then you have to take that to its logical conclusion and determine that the Canucks should trade all of their draft picks this year except for their first. Since nobody wants to do that, it demonstrates the logic is flawed.

It helps to think of trades less as strict player acquisitions and more acquisitions of contracts that allow you to get the player for cheap for a certain length of time.

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->