Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Green has already hinted that 'consistency' is an ongoing issue with Leivo. You look at his performance against the Hawks and wonder why he can't bring more on a nightly basis. Of course they've been bouncing him around the lineup.

But if the guy ever does develop that consistency, Canucks will have a very good, big-bodied winger who can skate and play up and down your lineup. And given that it only cost them the services of Michael Carcone, the risk-reward could be high.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
After Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat there’s a huge drop off in talent. Leivo may actually be the Canucks 4th best forward; It’s a toss up between Virtanen, Leivo, Baertschi and Roussel.

I think Baertschi is the better top 6 option but he can't stay healthy and may have his career shortened at this point. The next best forward in terms of being a top 6 option would be Goldobin but I will not say more. I think Leivo is the next best top 6 option. Roussel I think is a solid piece to have on your 3rd line. I would have liked to see Virtanen get more opportunities. Still hoping he can take the next step but I won't bet on him getting there.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I think Baertschi is the better top 6 option but he can't stay healthy and may have his career shortened at this point. The next best forward in terms of being a top 6 option would be Goldobin but I will not say more. I think Leivo is the next best top 6 option. Roussel I think is a solid piece to have on your 3rd line. I would have liked to see Virtanen get more opportunities. Still hoping he can take the next step but I won't bet on him getting there.

Agreed. The lack of quality forwards and scoring depth after the big 3 is concerning. Hopefully it gets addressed in the offseason by signing an elite scoring winger.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Green has already hinted that 'consistency' is an ongoing issue with Leivo. You look at his performance against the Hawks and wonder why he can't bring more on a nightly basis. Of course they've been bouncing him around the lineup.

But if the guy ever does develop that consistency, Canucks will have a very good, big-bodied winger who can skate and play up and down your lineup. And given that it only cost them the services of Michael Carcone, the risk-reward could be high.

The issue is that Green talks a lot of shit about "consistency", then lets other guys on the team be the dictionary definition of inconsistent...actually more like lazy.

Every young guy is accused of not being consistent, and none of them appear to be developing all that well despite his whining. Boeser and EP don't count, they basically sprang forth fully formed.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Agreed. The lack of quality forwards and scoring depth after the big 3 is concerning. Hopefully it gets addressed in the offseason by signing an elite scoring winger.
I'd be more concerned about holding a lead than getting a lead with the blueline we have (even when fully healthy). Getting a solid top 4 D I think might have a greater effect than even another EP type of player up front.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
After Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat there’s a huge drop off in talent. Leivo may actually be the Canucks 4th best forward; It’s a toss up between Virtanen, Leivo, Baertschi and Roussel.
Out of that I'd honestly rather Roussel take whatever spot is up for grabs. Hated his signing and contract but I have to admit he's actually been a pretty damn good player this season. Easily the example to follow in energy and effort.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Leaf fan here that is pleased that Leivo is getting a chance in the NHL. I have a quick question for Canucks fans about his situation: Prior to the Canucks-Leafs game, the Sportsnet reporter (can't remember who it was. Marek, maybe?) was interviewing Leivo. He implied that Leivo should have a chip on his shoulder playing against the Leafs, but it was my understanding that the relationship between him and Dubas was quite good. He even started the questioning with, "you wanted out of Toronto," which contradicts reports that I have seen. There were reports that Dubas had promised Leivo a trade if he wasn't getting into our lineup, and I had thought that the trade was mostly as a favour to him.

Is there much talk about Leivo harbouring resentment against Leafs' management? It was surprising to say the least, but it may have just been the usual media hype trying to stir up trouble for the story. Leivo handled it well and talked about his positive experiences in Vancouver, which further led me to believe that there was no animosity.

I'm just trying to determine if it was the usual media silliness or if I had missed a storyline regarding Leivo. Thanks in advance.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Leaf fan here that is pleased that Leivo is getting a chance in the NHL. I have a quick question for Canucks fans about his situation: Prior to the Canucks-Leafs game, the Sportsnet reporter (can't remember who it was. Marek, maybe?) was interviewing Leivo. He implied that Leivo should have a chip on his shoulder playing against the Leafs, but it was my understanding that the relationship between him and Dubas was quite good. He even started the questioning with, "you wanted out of Toronto," which contradicts reports that I have seen. There were reports that Dubas had promised Leivo a trade if he wasn't getting into our lineup, and I had thought that the trade was mostly as a favour to him.

Is there much talk about Leivo harbouring resentment against Leafs' management? It was surprising to say the least, but it may have just been the usual media hype trying to stir up trouble for the story. Leivo handled it well and talked about his positive experiences in Vancouver, which further led me to believe that there was no animosity.

I'm just trying to determine if it was the usual media silliness or if I had missed a storyline regarding Leivo. Thanks in advance.
None at all..in fact he is very complimentary about the Leafs (and the Marlies).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I haven’t seen anything. Even if things ended on good terms, any player is going to want to show up his former team, especially one that deemed him expendable.

Don’t be too pissed about losing Levio, he’s not very good anyway.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess even a blind squirrel will stumble on an acorn once and awhile.....Leivo looking one of the few homers for Jimbo.

A big bodied winger who can skate and handle the puck, and possesses a lethal shot. Can play up and down the lineup, and brings it most nights. Also becoming a very dangerous forward down low.

What's baffling is that Leivo seems to be the type of forward the Leafs are lacking right now. But I guess TO's loss is VanCity's gain.

Reactions: sting101

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
None at all..in fact he is very complimentary about the Leafs (and the Marlies).

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I’ll just chalk this up to another case of the media trying to create a story where one doesn’t exist. It’s unfortunate that they seem to want to create negative stories instead of promoting positive ones.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Thanks. That’s what I thought. I’ll just chalk this up to another case of the media trying to create a story where one doesn’t exist. It’s unfortunate that they seem to want to create negative stories instead of promoting positive ones.
No problem..He's been a good acquisition for the Canucks..gets better and better.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I haven’t seen anything. Even if things ended on good terms, any player is going to want to show up his former team, especially one that deemed him expendable.

Don’t be too pissed about losing Levio, he’s not very good anyway.

Oh, I’m not in the least bit upset about losing Leivo. There just wasn’t room on our roster, so I’m pleased that teams still try to do what’s right for the player. He’s the kind of guy that got to where he is through hard work, and it’s nice to see him rewarded with a chance.

Reactions: Pip

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Oh, I’m not in the least bit upset about losing Leivo. There just wasn’t room on our roster, so I’m pleased that teams still try to do what’s right for the player. He’s the kind of guy that got to where he is through hard work, and it’s nice to see him rewarded with a chance.
I’d take Leivo over Brown easily...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hes a lot better than the garbage that we’re used to.

It’s weird.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
He definitely has more potential than Bae. Whether or not he ever reaches that is another issue.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He is 25 - I dont think there is much improvement to be expected compared to what we see now.
Could be a confidence thing tho right, now that hes getting his shot he sees he can contribute. I WOULDNT be suprised to see him get even MORE pts next season Peter

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Could be a confidence thing tho right, now that hes getting his shot he sees he can contribute. I WOULDNT be suprised to see him get even MORE pts next season Peter

First of all, I think your caps lock key is partially brocken. Secondly, more points than what? Of course he will get more point that the 21 he has so far, he barely played in the NHL so far. Expectations should be limited however. I dont see him as anything more than a middle 6 winger who will roughly be a 15-15 guy and maybe 20ish goals in a good year. His current pace since joining the Canucks is probably a very good indication

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
First of all, I think your caps lock key is partially brocken. Secondly, more points than what? Of course he will get more point that the 21 he has so far, he barely played in the NHL so far. Expectations should be limited however. I dont see him as anything more than a middle 6 winger who will roughly be a 15-15 guy and maybe 20ish goals in a good year. His current pace since joining the Canucks is probably a very good indication

Leivo's on a 20 g 34 p pace this season with the Canucks this season. Since the trade, he's had two cold streaks of 6 and 7 games where he went pointless which is expected of 30 point level players. However, given his lack of games played over the past few seasons (16 in '17-'18, 18 in '16-'17, and 12 in '15-'16) it seems like even if his skill ceiling is capped his game to game consistency might not be. If he gets one point in the middle of each of those slumps, let's say two assists, that makes him into a 39 point pace player.

With what he brings he's a good middle six type player who can slot into a 2nd PP unit, ride shotgun on the first line for a few games, or add some skill to the 4th line in a game where lines are being shuffled. If he can do all that and play a 40 point type of game he's more than good enough to have value in this league. Even at 35 points, which is basically his current projected pace, he's a player that most teams would want to find a spot for.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Brand new mac, aint nothing broken on it pal. More point pace is what i mean, like will be his career year hopefully. My preddy Peter is he will improve which some said he cant cause is 25 Im saying he will because now hes doing what he can he will get more confidence and the pts will come, and ALSO i think the Canucks will score some more goals next year and he will be a part of that and BENEFIT from that

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Leivo's on a 20 g 34 p pace this season with the Canucks this season. Since the trade, he's had two cold streaks of 6 and 7 games where he went pointless which is expected of 30 point level players. However, given his lack of games played over the past few seasons (16 in '17-'18, 18 in '16-'17, and 12 in '15-'16) it seems like even if his skill ceiling is capped his game to game consistency might not be. If he gets one point in the middle of each of those slumps, let's say two assists, that makes him into a 39 point pace player.

With what he brings he's a good middle six type player who can slot into a 2nd PP unit, ride shotgun on the first line for a few games, or add some skill to the 4th line in a game where lines are being shuffled. If he can do all that and play a 40 point type of game he's more than good enough to have value in this league. Even at 35 points, which is basically his current projected pace, he's a player that most teams would want to find a spot for.
Agreed,he can play on all 4 lines...He's pretty much made Granlund redundant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad