Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He’ll disappear from the score sheet other than PIMs here for 3 weeks. Guy is a bigger body version of Leipsic
Whether or not that's true, the fact that he's a bigger body is a VERY big plus because of dat reach and because he's not being pushed around out there.

The only reason why Leivo is on the Canucks is because of Nylander.

And in his short time here, he's shown way more potential than most of the garbage Jimbo has acquired for us over the last few years.

And he's 25.

Sign him to a 4 year deal, 1.5M AAV, no NTC/NMC and watch him turn into a 30pt player and a valuable roster and potential trade asset.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Whether or not that's true, the fact that he's a bigger body is a VERY big plus because of dat reach and because he's not being pushed around out there.

And in his short time here, he's shown way more potential than most of the garbage Jimbo has acquired for us over the last few years.

And he's 25.

Sign him to a 4 year deal, 1.5M AAV, no NTC/NMC and watch him turn into a 30pt player and a valuable roster and potential trade asset.

So you're saying that if we would've drafted Nylander we would've never gotten the chance at getting Leivo? :sarcasm:

Looks like a Chris Higgins type player for us and he didn't even cost a draft pick. I'm loving his hands and his stickhandling and his stick work, he has a good stick and a good shot and some nice moves too. I saw him deke around several Blackhawks last night and he has the skill to maintain possession more often than not and he works hard in the corners to get pucks. He's like a more skilled Chris Higgins.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

I doubt Leivo would sign that deal. He has arbitration rights this summer and is UFA the following summer. Blake Coleman is a reasonably comparable guy who was in the same situation last summer and got 3 years at $1.8M AAV. Armia and Noesen, further away from UFA, signed one-year deals for $1.85M and $1.7M respectively.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I doubt Leivo would sign that deal. He has arbitration rights this summer and is UFA the following summer. Blake Coleman is a reasonably comparable guy who was in the same situation last summer and got 3 years at $1.8M AAV. Armia and Noesen, further away from UFA, signed one-year deals for $1.85M and $1.7M respectively.
Sure. 1.8 would be ok as well. I didn’t look into the numbers all that closely.

My point is, let’s turn him into a useful asset for this team as opposed to all of the amateur hour bull crap we’ve all had the misfortune of being an audience to.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
So you're saying that if we would've drafted Nylander we would've never gotten the chance at getting Leivo? :sarcasm:

Looks like a Chris Higgins type player for us and he didn't even cost a draft pick. I'm loving his hands and his stickhandling and his stick work, he has a good stick and a good shot and some nice moves too. I saw him deke around several Blackhawks last night and he has the skill to maintain possession more often than not and he works hard in the corners to get pucks. He's like a more skilled Chris Higgins.

Well then I hope Leivo has a brother and he starts posting here.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yes, though the list of best traded Canucks is not that great either. Kesler, then who?

Kesler has 20 points in his last 91 games over the last 2 years. He's a poor mans Markus Granlund at this point. Other than the contract. :laugh:

We probably wouldn't trade Baertschi for all the traded ex-Canucks combined.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

And he's 25.

Benning playing 100D chess while everyone else is playing checkers. Truly insane.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

And he's 25.

Lmao!!! This ain’t EA bud. That’s a horrible contract for him to sign at this point in his career. Sure the total money is probably the most he’s ever been offered to play hockey, but if he agent suggested to sign that he should be instantly fired. His best gamble to make anything substantial though is push for arbitration and try to get a full 82 game season in actually scoring 30 points.
Hell, Dale Weise turned that into 3+ million per year.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Lmao!!! This ain’t EA bud. That’s a horrible contract for him to sign at this point in his career. Sure the total money is probably the most he’s ever been offered to play hockey, but if he agent suggested to sign that he should be instantly fired. His best gamble to make anything substantial though is push for arbitration and try to get a full 82 game season in actually scoring 30 points.
Hell, Dale Weise turned that into 3+ million per year.
So.

Am I conclude that you think Leivo is a 3+ million per year type of player?

That's fine if you do (I personally don't care).

So, as per your previous post IE. the smaller body version of Leivo, Brendan Leipsic. What should he be paid then?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
So.

Am I conclude that you think Leivo is a 3+ million per year type of player?

That's fine if you do (I personally don't care).

So, as per your previous post IE. the smaller body version of Leivo, Brendan Leipsic. What should he be paid then?
I personally believe it’s in his better interest to not sign long term at 1.5m per as he’d probably some how convince a GM is he is worth 3m. I’m more of the belief he’s an ok depth guy that gets over hyped for flashes but more likely he disappears like many depth players do for stretches.
Weise is more a comparable of making a career out of being a bigger body depth player who shows flashes of brilliance

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I personally believe it’s in his better interest to not sign long term at 1.5m per as he’d probably some how convince a GM is he is worth 3m. I’m more of the belief he’s an ok depth guy that gets over hyped for flashes but more likely he disappears like many depth players do for stretches.
Weise is more a comparable of making a career out of being a bigger body depth player who shows flashes of brilliance
Which is part of the reason why, IMO, offering him term right now makes sense as he just joined the Canucks mid season.

From a young players perspective, there's a lot to get excited about being part of the Canucks and newly traded from the only team he knows and at age 25, he won't get much opportunity in the future to potentially play in a top 6 position with another team considering the youth trend in this league as well as how unassuming his paper stats are.

Leivo has been bouncing up and down between the Marlies and the Leafs since 2013.

Canucks offer him a 4 years at 1.5? (or there abouts)

I think he would take it or at least seriously consider it.

And I've seen enough good play out of him to be comfortable in offering it.

IMO, it's worth a shot. The worst thing he can say is no.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
No way a player like Leivo, a long with his agent, reject a 4 yr offer. That is huge term for a pretty fringe player.

I do like Leivo moving forward I think hes a good utility player and has some under-rated skills - but let's be honest, hes a 30 pt forward; and these types of players will almost never get a 4 yr term.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I know he's been propped up by multipoint games, but since joining the Canucks Leivo has scored at around a 40 point rate and shown some chemistry with Pettersson and Boeser. He's unproven so that lowers his leverage, but I could see him being worth something like $1.8-2.2 million on a two-year term if he maintains this rate.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I know he's been propped up by multipoint games, but since joining the Canucks Leivo has scored at around a 40 point rate and shown some chemistry with Pettersson and Boeser. He's unproven so that lowers his leverage, but I could see him being worth something like $1.8-2.2 million on a two-year term if he maintains this rate.

Why wouldn't he ask for baertschi contract at the minimum.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
No way a player like Leivo, a long with his agent, reject a 4 yr offer. That is huge term for a pretty fringe player.

I do like Leivo moving forward I think hes a good utility player and has some under-rated skills - but let's be honest, hes a 30 pt forward; and these types of players will almost never get a 4 yr term.

Benning says, "Hold my 6-pack."

Leivo would join Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle as 30 point forwards who've gotten 4 year deals.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why wouldn't he ask for baertschi contract at the minimum.

He might, and if he does we have to think hard about giving it to him but he's less proven that Baertschi was when he got his offer. Baertschi, while never healthy enough to actually do it, scored at a 40 point rate over two seasons and showed chemistry with Horvat over that span. Leivo just hasn't had the sample size to prove that scoring 40 points is his expected rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad