Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Ah the conspiracy. What exactly is Dubas gaining by building relations with Benning who quite possibly.might not be employed in a year ot two

I would chalk the Leivo trade as a win for Benning. But that kinda gets to the crux of Benning's tenure here:

His "winning" transactions have all been for relatively marginal or complementary players. While his marquee trades and acquisitions have all undisputably been flops. Like, it's a sad state of affairs when we're going "wow, that Leivo trade was great eh!".

And I'm a bigger Leivo fan than most. His defensive impact is larger than a lot of people think, and I don't really see anyone mentioning that. That's where most of his value comes from IMO.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I liked Carcone a lot, thought he played an honest grinding game and would hopefully turn into something but it was clear he'd probably never be a NHL regular. Leivo has always been something of an advanced stats God as I distinctly remember his name at the top of a lot of advanced stats in his limited playing time with Toronto. In the little bit I've watched him, I've liked him quite a bit. Tremendous guy to bounce around the line-up filling holes. Like him on the boards and I like his offensive work. I'll chalk this up as a surprising win for Benning.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
I would chalk the Leivo trade as a win for Benning. But that kinda gets to the crux of Benning's tenure here:

His "winning" transactions have all been for relatively marginal or complementary players. While his marquee trades and acquisitions have all undisputably been flops. Like, it's a sad state of affairs when we're going "wow, that Leivo trade was great eh!".

And I'm a bigger Leivo fan than most. His defensive impact is larger than a lot of people think, and I don't really see anyone mentioning that. That's where most of his value comes from IMO.

Nothing to be sad about. A good trade is a good trade.

In fact, perspective would be good on this one. It would be a good trade if we got a reliable bottom six guy and gave up Carcone. What makes it over the top good is the fact that Leivo is instantly a legitimate top six on our team and seems to show very few weaknesses. People have compared him to Higgins which is a hell of a compliment. If that's true, this is one of the most lopsided deals of the year. His RFA status was preserved by Toronto and he's still 25.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
That heads up play, seeing the poke check before and being ready for it, and led to the game winning goal.

He could be something, middle six

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I see him as a player who will be here long term and should be part of the group that sticks around when we’re ready to contend again. There’s a lot of open spots in the middle six imo in the longer term and this guy looks like a hard worker who can move up and down the lineup. A pretty valuable player in the mould of Hansen.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I knew he is going to be decent for us.
He’s a perfect example of nhl player who’s in the dog house of head coach (Babcock) there for couldn’t play to his potential.

Aka Goldobin

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
At least Leivo has the hustle that Goldobin lacks.

If Goldobin just cared a bit more, he can be so good.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Granlund??

I mean its early i'll give you that but i dont see many similarities with Granlund. He doesn't get pushed off pucks easily, has much better hands away from the net and has enough size reach and strength to maintain possession along the walls. In addition his shot has more range and his skating is a notch above. Granlund may be a bit quicker and have better anticipation though.....we'll see where it goes

I wasn't citing similarities in play style. Rather an assessment of value.

Leivo is certainly a different player although both can be versatile in different ways. Give a choice I'd easily take Leivo as Granlund is too soft and unassertive to have a spot on a contender.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nothing to be sad about. A good trade is a good trade.

In fact, perspective would be good on this one. It would be a good trade if we got a reliable bottom six guy and gave up Carcone. What makes it over the top good is the fact that Leivo is instantly a legitimate top six on our team and seems to show very few weaknesses. People have compared him to Higgins which is a hell of a compliment. If that's true, this is one of the most lopsided deals of the year. His RFA status was preserved by Toronto and he's still 25.

Love it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Chris Higgins is a good comparable. Leivo had one of his best games the other night vs Buffalo

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Very impressed with Josh Leivo, fantastic player. Possesses grit and skill, has good hockey IQ.

Canucks Record with Leivo in the lineup

17 games: 11-4-2
What's with the new phenomenon about drawing parallels between a player and the Canucks record while they're in the lineup.

This is very new.

It's overly simplistic and makes about as much sense as looking at the 2011 Canucks' record with Jeff Tambellini in the lineup, it's lazy AF.

I like Leivo, definite upgrade on Leipsic though.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I would like to have Leivo and Virtanen as 3rd line wingers, both can move up in the line up without looking like crap, and play good defensively. Then I would like to move Eriksson and spend his money on a top 6 player.have Motte and Roussel on the 4th. But I guess Eriksson is here to stay and I think one of Virtanen, Roussel or Leivo is going to be in the top six next year.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would like to have Leivo and Virtanen as 3rd line wingers, both can move up in the line up without looking like crap, and play good defensively. Then I would like to move Eriksson and spend his money on a top 6 player.have Motte and Roussel on the 4th. But I guess Eriksson is here to stay and I think one of Virtanen, Roussel or Leivo is going to be in the top six next year.
Gross.

I have time for all 3 of Leivo, Virtanen and Roussel but you absolutely cannot enter a season where you have real playoff aspirations with any of those 3 playing with Bo and Elias. The Canucks need to make moves to push every winger down the lineup (other than #6).

This post just reaffirms how much the teams needs to get rid of Eriksson, not just for salary purposes either, for the spot in the lineup.

Reactions: Catbug

ultra7k

Jul 14, 2009
Not sure why, but he reminds be a little of Chris Higgins. Versatile guy who can play up and down the lineup. Solid at both ends of the ice.

I was thinking this exact thing. His board play and hustle remind me of Higgins too, but with a better shot.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Gross.

I have time for all 3 of Leivo, Virtanen and Roussel but you absolutely cannot enter a season where you have real playoff aspirations with any of those 3 playing with Bo and Elias. The Canucks need to make moves to push every winger down the lineup (other than #6).

This post just reaffirms how much the teams needs to get rid of Eriksson, not just for salary purposes either, for the spot in the lineup.
I agree. Baertschi (on the 2nd line) or Goldobin and Boeser is the three top six winger we got, and neither Bae or Goldy seems like a longterm solution if we want to be a top team.. The seasons of Dahlén and Lind isn't exactly promising for the future either.

Adding a guy like Stone would make this team much better up front, but I dont se how that's possible unless we manage to a few of move Eriksson, Sutter, Gudbransson, Beagle and maybe Roussel (this is for cap reasons). Canucks have some carpool, but its going to cost to sign Boeser and upgrade the defense. Adding 8-9 millions for an elite winger will push the nucks close to the cap

Reactions: 420Canuck

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
with all being said and done, he only score 12 points in 45 games, and one point in his last five games.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I agree. Baertschi (on the 2nd line) or Goldobin and Boeser is the three top six winger we got, and neither Bae or Goldy seems like a longterm solution if we want to be a top team.. The seasons of Dahlén and Lind isn't exactly promising for the future either.

Adding a guy like Stone would make this team much better up front, but I dont se how that's possible unless we manage to a few of move Eriksson, Sutter, Gudbransson, Beagle and maybe Roussel (this is for cap reasons). Canucks have some carpool, but its going to cost to sign Boeser and upgrade the defense. Adding 8-9 millions for an elite winger will push the nucks close to the cap
The Canucks have plenty of cap space. Makes more sense signing a significant player even if it's for a lot of dough, than adding a 3 cheaper yet overpaid players.

Ie. Mark Stone vs Jay Beagle, Antoine Roussel and Tim Schaller.

The team should have a pile of cheap players to fill in the roster. Even if they bring back Edler at 6, Brock at 7.5, and Stone at 8.5 they'd still have ~$20m to fill out the roster, extend RFA's etc. I'd rather fill the roster with good talent and work backwards, rather than fit the poor talent with what they already have then pay for bottom of the lineup players.

And that $20m is before hopefully salaries like Sutter and Gudbranson are moved out (and my dream that Eriksson hangs up the skates).

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
The Canucks have about 35 million in cap room (under a 81 million cap)with 14 players signed (4 d-men, 1 Goalie, 9 fwds)
Players that need to be resigned, Edler , Boeser ,Hutton , Thats about 16 million. Getting another good d-man is going to cost at lest 6 more, plus add Hughes for 1 million more. If you spend 8,5 on Stone. Thats 31,5 million.

Almost No cap left, and that a 7 D, 11 FWD, 1 Goalie line up. Remember if Pettersson or Hughes hit bonuses those gets added to the cap next year if you can't fit them under this years bonus.

To add a top winger and another d-man the Canucks need to move out some overpaid players.

Reactions: Blue and Green

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
The Canucks have about 35 million in cap room (under a 81 million cap)with 14 players signed (4 d-men, 1 Goalie, 9 fwds)
Players that need to be resigned, Edler , Boeser ,Hutton , Thats about 16 million. Getting another good d-man is going to cost at lest 6 more, plus add Hughes for 1 million more. If you spend 8,5 on Stone. Thats 31,5 million.

Almost No cap left, and that a 7 D, 11 FWD, 1 Goalie line up. Remember if Pettersson or Hughes hit bonuses those gets added to the cap next year if you can't fit them under this years bonus.

To add a top winger and another d-man the Canucks need to move out some overpaid players.
Or have Loui Eriksson retire. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad