Proposal: (VAN/TOR) Jett Woo, Brendan Leipsic for Andreas Johnsson and Justin Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I think the point you're going to find is that what a near 24 year old has done in the AHL is really, really not that enticing. He has 1 point in 6 games, we have plenty of forwards who have that or better. Yes our forward group is not very good, Johnsson still probably isn't an upgrade over anyone. Especially when you consider within a year or so you'll have Jasek, Palmu and Gadjovich pushing for those bottom six spots.

Well, I think he would be an upgrade on MOST of your wingers, all but one or two in fact. A third line winger on one of the best offenses in the league is not going to be worse on a bottom dwelling team. It's actually a little silly to say he can make the Leafs, but not the Canucks.

But again, I've never said he would be of interest to the Canucks. I fully understand why they'd rather just go with their own youth, rather than get older.

And to be quite honest, Jett Woo isn't something the Leafs don't have in spades in the system anyway. Where would he fit, 3rd or 4th in terms of D prospects? Certainly behind both Liljegren and Sandin, that's a no brainer. And that's not including the Swedes they brought in that are certainly capable of playing third pairing. The Leafs need ready to play dmen, not long term projects that don't really project to be top pairing guys anyway.

Feb 24, 2017
Well, I think he would be an upgrade on MOST of your wingers, all but one or two in fact. A third line winger on one of the best offenses in the league is not going to be worse on a bottom dwelling team. It's actually a little silly to say he can make the Leafs, but not the Canucks.

But again, I've never said he would be of interest to the Canucks. I fully understand why they'd rather just go with their own youth, rather than get older.

And to be quite honest, Jett Woo isn't something the Leafs don't have in spades in the system anyway. Where would he fit, 3rd or 4th in terms of D prospects? Certainly behind both Liljegren and Sandin, that's a no brainer. And that's not including the Swedes they brought in that are certainly capable of playing third pairing. The Leafs need ready to play dmen, not long term projects that don't really project to be top pairing guys anyway.
The Canucks are leading the Pacific division.

Reactions: joe dirte

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Woo just has too much value compared to the other players.
If Johnson didnt stagnate this year it would be fine but johnson needs to show he can be a nhl regular. if i had to rank the players
Woo, Johnson, Holl, Leipsic.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Lol you aint getting woo.

Take out woo
And you can keep those 2 leaf players too.
Since you want leipsic,
Leipsic for leafs 4th rder

If the Leafs let go of Leipsic for free to Vegas why exactly would they pay a 4th to get him back. He has no place in the lineup especially when Nylander is back.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Canucks easily say no. Holl is 26 year old career AHLer. Johnson has not proved at all he is NHLer at age 23. Canucks aren't trade for two guys who may not be able to play in the NHL for a 2018 second rounder.

That is one of the funnier comments I have heard...trading Holl cause Leafs have a log jam at RHD. After years of comments of saying the Leaf have no competent RHD, now the Leafs have a log jam,:laugh:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The reigning AHL Calder Cup MVP isn't valuable? He's had a rough start to the season but has a huge amount of upside.

Oh Getz2perry, you'll never stop trolling Leafs threads, will you?
How is that trolling exactly.... there is no point for canucks to make that move.

Woo fits their rebuild... Johnson is a good AHLer, not a good NHLer … no different than a guy like Kossila in Anaheim.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
The reigning AHL Calder Cup MVP isn't valuable? He's had a rough start to the season but has a huge amount of upside.

LOL “Huge amount of upside”. He’s in his Draft+6 season and can’t even crack the roster. Good for him that he’s great In the AHL. Does Reid Boucher also have “huge amount of upside?”

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
How is that trolling exactly.... there is no point for canucks to make that move.

Woo fits their rebuild... Johnson is a good AHLer, not a good NHLer … no different than a guy like Kossila in Anaheim.

Or Reid Boucher in Vancouver. Not every guy translates from the AHL to the NHL. Usually if a guy is going to become a productive NHLer he's at least shown some real flash at the age of 24 and certainly would have played more than 15 games in the league

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Have a feeling Van would want more for Woo, he isn't really an "add on". Leafs give up two scratched players, for one scratched player and a good prospect.

I'm high on Johnsson and he could be a stud, but hasn't proven much yet in the NHL.

easy no from Vancouver

right now Jet Woo is the most valuable piece in the deal--the three other guys are tweeners--Woo is a RHD and 18--the others are already in their 20's and look like fringe players

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle

If you're curious most of the Calder Cup MVP's haven't done much of anything at least as forwards are concerned. Bjorkstrand has, but he was also three years younger. Outside of him Tatar is the only forward to go on and have real success. Johnsson is probably more like the Weal category of winners. He'll play in the league but he's not going to be much more than a 25-3o point guy

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Or Reid Boucher in Vancouver. Not every guy translates from the AHL to the NHL. Usually if a guy is going to become a productive NHLer he's at least shown some real flash at the age of 24 and certainly would have played more than 15 games in the league
Leaf fans have been trying to sell high on Johnson all off season.... he might become a solid NHLer at some point but that's likely not going to be on the leafs… and he wont ever be valued at what he could become.

I just cant see him getting much more than a 3rd, maybe a 2nd from a desperate team

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Leaf fans have been trying to sell high on Johnson all off season.... he might become a solid NHLer at some point but that's likely not going to be on the leafs… and he wont ever be valued at what he could become.

I just cant see him getting much more than a 3rd, maybe a 2nd from a desperate team

I just don't see how a guy taken in the 7th round and is almost 24 is going to all of a sudden break out and display this huge upside we hear about. He's a fine player and will probably be a fine bottom sixer, but those guys aren't worth 2nds.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just don't see how a guy taken in the 7th round and is almost 24 is going to all of a sudden break out and display this huge upside we hear about. He's a fine player and will probably be a fine bottom sixer, but those guys aren't worth 2nds.

I havnt seen/heard much on Woo since draft(wanted Anaheim to try and grab him)… but I imagine he is part of the big picture/plan in Vancouver.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The OP makes a bad proposal and is defending it . Forget value in a vacuum for a minute , which by the way I don't think is fair value .

The Canucks are a rebuilding team so why are they trading a prospect they are high on ? It also doesn't matter where a player was drafted . It matters more what they do after being drafted and also where the team is at ( rebuilding /ready to contend ) Canucks were expected to be in the running for for a top 5 pick in a deep draft and while they have played decent it is still early on . Canucks keep all their prospects .

Now if you want to trade prospects for AHLers . I am sure lots of teams will accommodate you

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
I havnt seen/heard much on Woo since draft(wanted Anaheim to try and grab him)… but I imagine he is part of the big picture/plan in Vancouver.

Yep. We're not exactly rolling in D prospects either. Outside Juolevi, Hughes and Woo we're looking at guys like Brisebois, Brassard, Utunen and Chatfield.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
LOL “Huge amount of upside”. He’s in his Draft+6 season and can’t even crack the roster. Good for him that he’s great In the AHL. Does Reid Boucher also have “huge amount of upside?”

I'm going to respond to GoodbyeLuongo, because he was able to respond to my post without using extreme examples and mockery to make a point. Take note:

If you're curious most of the Calder Cup MVP's haven't done much of anything at least as forwards are concerned. Bjorkstrand has, but he was also three years younger. Outside of him Tatar is the only forward to go on and have real success. Johnsson is probably more like the Weal category of winners. He'll play in the league but he's not going to be much more than a 25-3o point guy

My issue was with saying Johnsson "isn't valuable", which means "has no/very little value".

Since 2005-06, almost every 25-or-under skater who has won Calder Cup MVP has been a good, serviceable player:

Tyler Bertuzzi, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Jordan Weal, Tomas Tatar, Chris Bourque are the 5 sub-25 forwards to win it before Johnsson. Mostly 3rd-line scoring talents.

Johnsson was developed slowly. We let him marinate in the SHL for a while, where he won SHL Rookie of the Year. Again, not a guarantee of success but the following notable skaters have won that since 2005-06:

Elias Pettersson, William Karlsson, Patric Hornqvist, Niklas Backstrom, Johan Larsson, Mattias Ekholm

I think he has good pedigree and is going through a bit of a sophomore slump. As someone who watches him game-in-and-out, with both the Leafs currently and the Marlies historically, his motor and his offensive IQ is very high and should serve him well at the NHL level. He could hold his own as the third-best forward on a #1/#2 line, or be a great depth option at #3.

I'm not advocating or fighting for this trade in any way. I don't give a crap about this proposal, and I don't want to trade Johnsson. And I'm not saying Johnsson is a budding superstar, but I'll say something when I feel a player is being undersold, especially by a known Leafs fan antagonist (who I realize is not a Canucks fan).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yep. We're not exactly rolling in D prospects either. Outside Juolevi, Hughes and Woo we're looking at guys like Brisebois, Brassard, Utunen and Chatfield.
Whats the likely hood you guys sell some vets at deadline to stock pile more prospects/picks

Edler/Tanev/sutter/grandlund etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->