Proposal: (VAN/TOR) Jett Woo, Brendan Leipsic for Andreas Johnsson and Justin Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Leipsic put up as good numbers as Johnsson did in the AHL and has shown more in the NHL. You realize Vancouver just drafted Woo 37th overall right?

This is worse than an offer of Leipsic for Sandin. Think about that

It is definitely not worse

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
You didn't read the OP. I want Leipsic. Woo is a throw in.
That's the problem, we do not see Woo as a throw in at all. You want Leipsic that's fine, send a pick for him but treating a high 2nd round pick in the most recent draft as a throw in is very odd. It's not like you are offering phenomenal pieces here.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Because the Canucks aren't looking to get rid of him, he hasn't done anything to drop his value, and that package is the equivalent of Vancouver offering you guys Leipsic and Boucher in exchange for Liljegren and Holl. How would that sound? Not too fun, would it?

Now, I don't disagree with all that much of what you're saying, but I'd say the comparisons you're trying to draw are a little off:

Woo hasn't done anything to improve his value either. Not that we would expect him too, there has been like 10 games for him post-draft. So, it sits exactly where he was taken, a mid-2nd. You're comparing that to Liljegren, who was a mid-1st, and showed pretty decently in the AHL last year. So, I'm pretty sure Liljegren would carry a lot more value than Jett Woo.

Boucher is 24, and can't crack one of the worst lineups in the league. I doubt he ever becomes an NHL player. Johnsson is a year younger, and HAS cracked one of the BEST lineups in the league. So, while Boucher is pretty much zero value, Johnsson isn't. Now, as Johnsson is 23, I carry no illusions that he'll ever be a star player, but he's pretty steadily progressed, and he looks like he'll be okay in a depth role. that doesn't carry much value, I'm fully aware. But more than zero, like Boucher.

Leipsic and Holl, yes, I agree, they're a wash. Zero value for both of them.

But what you say is true. The Canucks are better off with Woo than Johnsson, as they're better off with prospects and youth right now. Just as the Leafs are better off with NHL capable players, like Johnsson, not Woo. So, that I think almost everyone here will agree on. The trade serves no purpose.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You didn't read the OP. I want Leipsic. Woo is a throw in.
What on earth would you want Brendan Leipsic for? We had him once. He might not even make the team. Why would the Leafs bother trading a player that they're using for one that might not make the team?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He’s not. He’s just worth way more than Johnsson and Holl. Wouldn’t deal Woo for those two alone let alone add Leipsic who’s actually been fairly efficient for us
i doubt that's true. Andreas Johnsson may not be a star, but he's progressed nicely and has been playing on the third line. I'd say that's worth a mid-2nd for a 23 year old.

Which is quite clearly roughly what Jett Woo would be worth.

And Leipsic - I can't imagine the Leafs would find any use for him.

If you guys are finding a use for him, good for you, but he's worth nothing to the Leafs.

Not that this is your fault. The OP is pretty bad to begin with.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
i doubt that's true. Andreas Johnsson may not be a star, but he's progressed nicely and has been playing on the third line. I'd say that's worth a mid-2nd for a 23 year old.

Canucks Wingers right now either in the NHL or AHL are
Boeser
Eriksson
Roussel
Schaller
Granlund
Virtanen
Motte
Goldobin
Leipsic
Dahlen
Lind
Jasek
Palmu
Gadjovich

So we should be interested in Johnsson because...........?????

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What I do not understand is why people think we still have RD depth issues in our system? Rasanen, Liljegren, Durzi, Hollowell, Lindgren, Kral… The Leafs loaded up the past two years. The issue now is the Leafs need a better top pairing RD than Hainsey, and after an inconsistent first few games, even he has turned it around enough to be passable for someone like Rielly. That is our only hole on our RD right now and for the foreseeable future.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Canucks Wingers right now either in the NHL or AHL are
Boeser
Eriksson
Roussel
Schaller
Granlund
Virtanen
Motte
Goldobin
Leipsic
Dahlen
Lind
Jasek
Palmu
Gadjovich

So we should be interested in Johnsson because...........?????

Despite the fact that he's better than all but about 2 of those players right now, I don't think you should be interested. Not at all. I've never said the Canucks SHOULD be. the Leafs shouldn't really want that trade either.....

I'm strictly talking about value. I can't see Jett Woo and Andreas Johnsson carrying much different value. The other two, Brendan Leipsic, and Justin Woll, are pretty much worthless. You're talking about the kind of players that get offered up on waivers.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

And Leipsic - I can't imagine the Leafs would find any use for him.

If you guys are finding a use for him, good for you, but he's worth nothing to the Leafs.

Not that this is your fault. The OP is pretty bad to begin with.

Johnsson is s guy playing in his D +6 and will be 24 in like 20 days. He had a whopping 6 points in 21 career NHL games...

Now explain to me how he's worth the equivalent of the 37th overall pick? How is he not waiver fodder like every other player comparable to him? Rychel/Lazar/Dano all comparable or better numbers at the same age yet all went on waivers. Would you trade Sandin for any of them? Him and Woo were ranked about the same

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson is s guy playing in his D +6 and will be 24 in like 20 days. He had a whopping 6 points in 21 career NHL games...

Now explain to me how he's worth the equivalent of the 37th overall pick? How is he not waiver fodder like every other player comparable to him? Rychel/Lazar/Dano all comparable or better numbers at the same age yet all went on waivers. Would you trade Sandin for any of them? Him and Woo were ranked about the same

Well for starters they don't have comparable numbers.
17/18 AHL stats
Johnsson - 54GP, 54points.
Rychel - 71 GP, 42 points.
Lazar - tough to compare. He played in the NHL. But shouldn't have. What would his stats have been? No idea.
Dano - same. Was in the NHL, but probably shouldn't have been. His last stints in the AHL were not point per game though.

I could very well be wrong, but I don't think Johnsson would make it through waivers.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What I do not understand is why people think we still have RD depth issues in our system? Rasanen, Liljegren, Durzi, Hollowell, Lindgren, Kral… The Leafs loaded up the past two years. The issue now is the Leafs need a better top pairing RD than Hainsey, and after an inconsistent first few games, even he has turned it around enough to be passable for someone like Rielly. That is our only hole on our RD right now and for the foreseeable future.

Forseeable future? Don't you mean the near future? It can't be 5,10,15 years of no RHDs.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Woo is the 37th pick. Why is he treated like a top 10 pick?

This is silly.

He's not treated like a top 10, but to think a 2nd round pick is nothing is even sillier. Pk Subban and Shea Weber were second round picks drafted later than Woo in their respective years. Woo won't be close to either of those players but still worth more than spare parts.

If 2nd round picks are so worthless how about Alex Biega and Lepsic for a 2nd. Isn't this a steal? You get an accomplished AHL defensman and your agitator and get to keep Johnsson and Holl.

Realistically not a good trade, is it.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
17/18 AHL stats
Lazar - tough to compare. He played in the NHL. But shouldn't have. What would his stats have been? No idea.
Dano - same. Was in the NHL, but probably shouldn't have been. His last stints in the AHL were not point per game though.

I could very well be wrong, but I don't think Johnsson would make it through waivers.

I think the point you're going to find is that what a near 24 year old has done in the AHL is really, really not that enticing. He has 1 point in 6 games, we have plenty of forwards who have that or better. Yes our forward group is not very good, Johnsson still probably isn't an upgrade over anyone. Especially when you consider within a year or so you'll have Jasek, Palmu and Gadjovich pushing for those bottom six spots.

Reactions: joe dirte

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
17/18 AHL stats

And their NHL stats? If you don't like those comparables then use Frank Vatrano or Pulkkinnen then, who were both better in the AHL and NHL. johnsson is worthy nowhere close to an early 2nd

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
He's not treated like a top 10, but to think a 2nd round pick is nothing is even sillier. Pk Subban and Shea Weber were second round picks drafted later than Woo in their respective years. Woo won't be close to either of those players but still worth more than spare parts.

If 2nd round picks are so worthless how about Alex Biega and Lepsic for a 2nd. Isn't this a steal? You get an accomplished AHL defensman and your agitator and get to keep Johnsson and Holl.

Realistically not a good trade, is it.

No. I'll take that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->