Proposal: (VAN/TOR) Jett Woo, Brendan Leipsic for Andreas Johnsson and Justin Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
This is worse than terrible. It's...

turrible.png

Van already has enough 4th liners and AHL defensmen. See Alex Biega and all the UFA signings in the summer.

The Canucks are in a rebuild. Trading away 18 year old defensemen they just drafted would be counter productive, especially to get a whole lot of what they already have.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
“Two decent pieces for scraps”...like I said love this place

Oh sorry, I was wrong. Na Leipsic is scrap aswell so he got it almost correct ^^
But I think Johnsson is a legit NHL-winger, but he is almost 24, so he is not really worth much atm

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
[QUOTE="heybuddyhowyadoing, post: 151263683, member: 293901"]Ultimately TOR needs a role player/agitator in their bottom 6. Leipsic is just right.

Holl is a good player and could add depth to VAN. There seems to be a major log jam on TOR's RHD now.

Johnsson is a struggling in a 4th line role but could be good for VAN in a more offensive role. He was a solid player for the Marlies last year and helped the team win the AHL championship.

Woo is the add on to even out this trade.

Ever heard of this Kadri kid?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Can a team have 2 guys like that?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
No chance Woo gets added to this. Honestly if you cover Leipsic I'd trade him for a mid round pick no problem. Guy infuriates me to watch. Plays with a lot of jump and speed but with the puck he tries to do way too much and falls or turns it over. He reminds me of a slow Mason Raymond but better on the forecheck.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We are not trading Woo for junk, even if we throw in junk of our own. If you want Leipsic back, you can have him, but there is nothing you can say to justify Woo being included. This would be similar to trying to throw Liljegren into a deal for two third liners.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The Leafs already had Leipsic, and had no use for him. He's 24, and basically a fringe AHLer. You can sign someone comparable in free agency for under $1M, without giving anything up. And there is no way he cracks the Leafs lineup. As in, not really close.

Justin Holl is 26, and has 2 NHL games to his resume. If there was a way of being worth less than Leipsic, then Holl does that. but neither of them are worth much more than a 6th or 7th round pick, so it's pretty damn near a wash.

So, it's basically Andreas Johnson for Jett Woo, or the equivalent of a mid 2nd round pick. Andreas Johnsson has shown flashes that he can be a good player, but at 23, he's not young anymore, and I doubt he's worth much more than a second, as he's still just starting to get NHL time.

I don't think the value is too far off, but I doubt it's really of interest to either team.

Reactions: Mork

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The Leafs already had Leipsic, and had no use for him. He's 24, and basically a fringe AHLer. You can sign someone comparable in free agency for under $1M, without giving anything up. And there is no way he cracks the Leafs lineup. As in, not really close.

Justin Holl is 26, and has 2 NHL games to his resume. If there was a way of being worth less than Leipsic, then Holl does that. but neither of them are worth much more than a 6th or 7th round pick, so it's pretty damn near a wash.

So, it's basically Andreas Johnson for Jett Woo, or the equivalent of a mid 2nd round pick. Andreas Johnsson has shown flashes that he can be a good player, but at 23, he's not young anymore, and I doubt he's worth much more than a second, as he's still just starting to get NHL time.

I don't think the value is too far off, but I doubt it's really of interest to either team.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Not really sure why either team would do this.

Nothing in this trade screams high upside for Vancouver, so why trade a prospect you just drafted for two guys over 24?

For Toronto, there is probably more upside for them to see if Johnsson can rebound. He's had a rough start, but he will be more likely to contribute this year then anything they are receiving. Toronto will want to strengthen their D prospect pool, but they will do it by giving guys a shot for free, drafting, and signing guys from Europe or College. They aren't in a stage where they are likely to sell low on players that they may use right now to add D prospects that are a few years away. Has nothing to do with value, just makes little sense for where they are at in their progression.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Woo is the 37th pick. Why is he treated like a top 10 pick?

This is silly.

Because the Canucks aren't looking to get rid of him, he hasn't done anything to drop his value, and that package is the equivalent of Vancouver offering you guys Leipsic and Boucher in exchange for Liljegren and Holl. How would that sound? Not too fun, would it?

Reactions: joe dirte

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Holl is a good player ? i guess you could say he's a good AHLer since that's where he's ever played and he 26 .

basically it's Johnson for Woo and i don't see why the nucks would do this

You're not completely wrong but some players travel different paths. Holl went from being an ECHLer a couple years ago to a top defenseman on a Calder Cup team and a capable 6th/7th NHL defenseman. Yes there's still a big question about whether he'll be able to stick in the NHL long-term but he's shown some serious growth in the past few years so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss him as an AHL lifer. There's a reason the team is keeping him on the roster.

That said, I agree that this mostly comes down to Woo for Johnsson and I don't think it makes sense for the Canucks make that move.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's closer than treating Johnsson and Holl like NHL players.

No. Johnsson has performed well at the NHL level. He's been fine in the NHL post-season too. He's just struggling now because he's not a proper role player/4th liner. If he plays up in the line up he gets into a rhythm. He is like many Leafs where the depth has caused a lack of opportunity.

Reactions: jboknows

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I admittedly haven't watched Johnson or Holl played. That said, Canucks are happy to hold onto Woo as he is one of their best defence prospects, which is an area of weakness for the Canucks. Woo seems to have a high floor, playing a steady and physical game which should translate to the NHL as a defensive dman.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Woo is the 37th pick. Why is he treated like a top 10 pick?

This is silly.
Aren't you the one who proposed Woo to Toronto? If his value is negligible than why include him in a trade proposal? A rebuilding team is much better to keep their most recent 2nd round draft pick than moving him for either a 26 year old AHL d-man, or a 23 year old tweener winger. The Canucks currently have 8 bottom 6 wingers on their NHL roster and 4 wingers with as much potential (or more) in Utica. From a Canuck perspective this would be a swap of Leipsic (24 yrs, 69gms, 27pts, .39pts/gm) for Johnsson (23 yrs, 15gms, 4pts, .27 pts/gm), which probable favors the Canucks from a potential perspective, but not enough to move the needle for me. That means the second piece is Holl for Woo both RHD but Woo is 7 years younger and has the much higher ceiling so zero interest in this deal.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Aren't you the one who proposed Woo to Toronto? If his value is negligible than why include him in a trade proposal? A rebuilding team is much better to keep their most recent 2nd round draft pick than moving him for either a 26 year old AHL d-man, or a 23 year old tweener winger. The Canucks currently have 8 bottom 6 wingers on their NHL roster and 4 wingers with as much potential (or more) in Utica. From a Canuck perspective this would be a swap of Leipsic (24 yrs, 69gms, 27pts, .39pts/gm) for Johnsson (23 yrs, 15gms, 4pts, .27 pts/gm), which probable favors the Canucks from a potential perspective, but not enough to move the needle for me. That means the second piece is Holl for Woo both RHD but Woo is 7 years younger and has the much higher ceiling so zero interest in this deal.

You didn't read the OP. I want Leipsic. Woo is a throw in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->