[VAN/TBL] Cond. 1st ('20 / '21) Plus for J.T. Miller || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

It's a weird article because he says:

While the trade certainly looks good for the Canucks at the moment, it’s important to remember that we still don’t really have any idea where the pick the Canucks gave up is going to be. The value of a first round pick isn’t fixed, so where that selection ends up falling in the 2020 or 2021 draft is going to go a long way towards determining how the trade looks a few years from now.

Is he saying it looks good for the time being? If so, not a lot has really changed. Nobody can determine the return yet, but are making a final call on the trade? Odd.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary

Is he saying it looks good for the time being? If so, not a lot has really changed. Nobody can determine the return yet, but are making a final call on the trade? Odd.

There should be no final call yet, but it sure looks good so far. Unless you are in the mindset of not wanting to improve the team. So far he has preformed as well as any high draft pick could hope to achieve

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Fair comment due to the potential of the draft pick which was always my contention. Certainly was balzy

I just never understood the idea that we were in a position of strength. No we weren't.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Fair comment due to the potential of the draft pick which was always my contention. Certainly was balzy
I just never understood the idea that we were in a position of strength. No we weren't.

You didn't understand the cap positions of each team at the time, and the impetus for TBay to move Miller?

A ballsy trade is one way of looking at it, sure. Desperate would be another.

There should be no final call yet, but it sure looks good so far. Unless you are in the mindset of not wanting to improve the team. So far he has preformed as well as any high draft pick could hope to achieve

Miller has performed very well, no question. The said, the trade is in a position to swing based upon a short series. That looks like even money right now. "Good" was earlier when they were higher up in the standings.

Improving the team at any cost is what some fans were against. Anyway, I'm very interested to see the articles on this trade whether they make or miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
JT Miller trade was basically the equivalent of dropping a Bo Horvat onto your team. Before the trade in the past 3 season he had 161/239 games. That comes to a PPG of 55 points per game over an 82 game season. Always knew he had 55-60 point versatility same as Horvat didn’t like the timing but it worked out better than expected.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I was at the draft, and pissed that they made this trade. However, it has worked out better than expected .... hope they beat Minn and get the draft pick resolved now.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
JT Miller trade was basically the equivalent of dropping a Bo Horvat onto your team. Before the trade in the past 3 season he had 161/239 games. That comes to a PPG of 55 points per game over an 82 game season. Always knew he had 55-60 point versatility same as Horvat didn’t like the timing but it worked out better than expected.
Miller is a better player than Horvat. I did not know that before the trade. Really the trade is done from Vancouver perspective. Does it really matter what NJ drafts? If NJ drafts a good or bad player has no effect on Canucks. It only matters to public opinion of the trade. It is interesting for the egos of people who took a position on trade but it no longer matters to team except what year do they lose their first.

Reactions: flying v 604

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Ignoring what JT Miller did in years prior, and if you look at what he brings to your team right now, he's essentially a gritty, do-it-all first line PPG center. Who would have thought that we'd have one fall in our lap.
He kind of reminds me of a Center version of Jarome Iginla.. However i should say that while he does have a really good shot, i wouldnt say it's world-class level like Iginla's was.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ignoring what JT Miller did in years prior, and if you look at what he brings to your team right now, he's essentially a gritty, do-it-all first line PPG center. Who would have thought that we'd have one fall in our lap.
He kind of reminds me of a Center version of Jarome Iginla.. However i should say that while he does have a really good shot, i wouldnt say it's world-class level like Iginla's was.
Iginla was pretty good at throwing them as a light heavyweight. Granted you don’t exactly want your 50 goal scorer in the penalty box.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Miller has spent the majority of his time here on the wing. My understanding is that on his previous teams he's either been a top 6 winger or 3rd line C.

But I agree with the rest of your post. Miller has been amazing and has consistently made an impact in games. At forward, Petey might be the most important player overall, but I think for this season, Miller has been the MVP this season. How more many times this season have we thought that Miller was the difference maker vs other forwards?

Iginla was pretty good at throwing them as a light heavyweight. Granted you don’t exactly want your 50 goal scorer in the penalty box.

Iginla at his best was a relatively undersized prototypical power forward.

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
More compliments for J.T. Miller from Brock in Ben Kuzma's article:

Boeser credits J.T. Miller with preparation perspective. The club’s leading scorer has led by example and it has rubbed off on younger players. You don’t post a career-high 72 points (27-45) in 69 games to finish 17th in league scoring by not leading the charge.
“J.T. is vocal and that helps a lot,” said Boeser. “It’s just seeing the pride he takes in all areas of the game. I have high expectations to produce and it’s been a learning thing for me. It’s how you approach things when you come to the rink each day.

This is what the tank crowd will never understand, that player development isn't like EA sports, where young players just naturally improve over time. Look at the young Oilers and how they actually got worse as time went by due to an environment without strong mentors like Ryan Miller, Derek Dorsett, and Brandon Sutter.

I think J.T. Miller is a big reason behind the development of Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes and Jake Virtanen this year. He was the real captain of the Canucks this year. Intangible value out the wazoo! One of the best trades of the decade.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

This is what the tank crowd will never understand, that player development isn't like EA sports, where young players just naturally improve over time. Look at the young Oilers and how they actually got worse as time went by due to an environment without strong mentors like Ryan Miller, Derek Dorsett, and Brandon Sutter.

I think J.T. Miller is a big reason behind the development of Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes and Jake Virtanen this year. He was the real captain of the Canucks this year. Intangible value out the wazoo! One of the best trades of the decade.
Anyone can spot the tangible but very few are born with the rare gift of seeing the intangible. One of the best moves GMMG ever made was to offer Mats Sundin 10M for 2 years, Sundin unfortunately only wanted the 1 year. What goes unnoticed is the incredible leadership that Sundin brought for the 35 games or so he played in Vancouver, the Sedins and Kesler owe their careers to those 35 games of an aging Mats Sundin. They might as well use expedited shipping to ship over all their accolades to Sundin. He's got a bunch of medals from international hockey but he would really like a Hart or a Selke to add to his trophy cabinet.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You'd have to say that the way things have unfolded, the Bolts definitely 'lost' the J.T. Miller trade. The Canucks first rounder was flipped to the Devils at the trade deadline, along with a pretty fair prospect in Nolan Foote, for Blake Coleman.

Nothing against Coleman, who seems to be a decent third-fourth line foot-soldier. But do you think Tampa might prefer to have Miller at this point? Ya think?

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
You'd have to say that the way things have unfolded, the Bolts definitely 'lost' the J.T. Miller trade. The Canucks first rounder was flipped to the Devils at the trade deadline, along with a pretty fair prospect in Nolan Foote, for Blake Coleman.

Nothing against Coleman, who seems to be a decent third-fourth line foot-soldier. But do you think Tampa might prefer to have Miller at this point? Ya think?
Bolts are pretty tight against the cap (reason why they likely were willing to deal Miller in the first place).

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Nope. They won the miller trade, they lost the Coleman trade.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Let's not get carried away but it has most certainly worked out very well for Vancouver. Picks are nice especially 1st round picks but to actually hit on one is not guaranteed. Miller has been a great addition and he has certainly helped the development of the kids. However, without hindsight I think most agree we paid too much but then again who knows what others offered? I'm glad the deal was done regardless.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
This is what the tank crowd will never understand, that player development isn't like EA sports, where young players just naturally improve over time. Look at the young Oilers and how they actually got worse as time went by due to an environment without strong mentors like Ryan Miller, Derek Dorsett, and Brandon Sutter & Milan Lucic.
:laugh:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

i

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nope. They won the miller trade, they lost the Coleman trade.
I guess the final verdict on the J.T. Miller trade won't be in until the Devils actually make the selection of the Canucks pick they acquired from Tampa.

But if if ends up being at back end of the first round in 2021, then the Canucks have to happy with their end of the deal all day long.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Asset wise the best thing is for Canucks to be lottery this year as that would be the only guarantee of top 15 pick. They need d prospects if do not get 1st pick. The sooner the better. Still prefer to get in playoff and enjoy watching some good hockey.

Joyride

Jun 24, 2018
Calling it now.

Season cancelled. Canucks pick goes to Jersey. Jersey wins 1st overall.

That would be the ultimate worst case scenario but won’t happen. If the season is cancelled then the Canucks won’t qualify for the Lafreniere sweepstakes as their points percentage has them as “making the playoffs”, Jersey would end up with a mid-round pick.

Best case scenario: Canucks win the Lafreniere sweepstakes, he gives them the extra boost they need to be a top five team next year and Jersey ends up with just a late round pick in a weak 2021 draft.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
That would be the ultimate worst case scenario but won’t happen. If the season is cancelled then the Canucks won’t qualify for the Lafreniere sweepstakes as their points percentage has them as “making the playoffs”, Jersey would end up with a mid-round pick.

Best case scenario: Canucks win the Lafreniere sweepstakes, he gives them the extra boost they need to be a top five team next year and Jersey ends up with just a late round pick in a weak 2021 draft.
:laugh:

They wouldn't be a top five team with Conner McDavid on the team.

Another "Hughes" on the blueline might.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Calling it now.

Season cancelled. Canucks pick goes to Jersey. Jersey wins 1st overall.
There's no way that could happen. If the season is abandoned, then the Canucks wouldn't be a lottery team based on their winning percentage. I think in that scenario, the highest their pick would be is 17th overall.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->