[VAN/TBL] Cond. 1st ('20 / '21) Plus for J.T. Miller || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
So so bad. I remember reading the trade and it was a gut punch. Then I saw the first was condition and was certain it was going to be some absurd condition. Not really, just what year they get it.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The worst possible outcome is:

4 years of J.T. Miller (an overpaid complementary top 6 forward)

for

2021 1st round pick (1st overall) + 2019 3rd round pick (71st overall)

Could you imagine?

How could anybody fully analyze this deal, and still pull the trigger on it? Incredible, really. Did he even consider it at all, because I honestly believe Jimbo was like "He can rip the puck real good, we have to get him no matter the cost"?? Shows how desperate DimJim truly is.

And how doomed this franchise is.

I hate this trade but I dont think Miller is on a bad contract.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is not the going price for someone like JT Miller.

Thats all you need to know to decide wether it is a good deal or bad deal.

Need more?

- Tampa fans cant believe what they got for him.
- Only two players the past two years commanded a 1st round pick AT THE TRADE DEADLINE
- Tampa was in a cap crunch and they HAD to make a trade, we still overpaid to get Miller
It’s our owner getting his nose into hockey opps again. He gave that speech before the trade that we had bottomed out, and there were much brighter days ahead. I’m sure JB got his orders from the top to make the playoffs ASAP. We all know it’s too soon, but our owner, for his own reasons, doesn’t care.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The other Miller trade is further evidence, if anyone really needed any, that this trade was an overpayment. Clearly teams are taking much less for players than usual due to cap constraints.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It’s our owner getting his nose into hockey opps again. He gave that speech before the trade that we had bottomed out, and there were much brighter days ahead. I’m sure JB got his orders from the top to make the playoffs ASAP. We all know it’s too soon, but our owner, for his own reasons, doesn’t care.

Must be the owner. That’s why Gillis’ transactions were also poor and why the Canucks did poorly under him. Wait, that didn’t happen at all.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yeah, fair, but people had a right to be a little ticked off with the Canucks sending a 1st round pick away for anything less than a bonafide first line player; especially at the state the team was in. Miller was looking like a 2nd line winger, albeit on a nice contract. Luckily, Miller turned into an elite two way player for us, at least this season, but I don't think anyone actually predicted he'd do that, and rightfully so.

Hockey's weird.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Myself included we actually won that trade if anyone did really.
Granlund wasted a roster spot on the parent club for several years. I don't call that winning.

Yeah, fair, but people had a right to be a little ticked off with the Canucks sending a 1st round pick away for anything less than a bonafide first line player; especially at the state the team was in. Miller was looking like a 2nd line winger, albeit on a nice contract. Luckily, Miller turned into an elite two way player for us, at least this season, but I don't think anyone actually predicted he'd do that, and rightfully so.

Hockey's weird.
Especially if that 1st round pick turns out to be a lottery pick; and then we 'win' that lottery.

Reactions: clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Especially if that 1st round pick turns out to be a lottery pick; and then we 'win' that lottery.
Yeah exactly. It felt like one of those 'rush the rebuild' shortcut moves that Benning has been quite famous for here, with potentially crippling circumstances.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver

Hockey's weird.

It's crazy how lucky benning has been when it comes to potentially crippling this franchise. From the Lucic and Subban non trades to getting an elite player in Miller for a mid first.

Last edited:
Reactions: clunk

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Agreed, very entertaining and appropriate. That's the reaction I would expect from a knowledgeable fanbase when their GM makes a seemingly stupid trade.

This comment by Dmitri Filapovic was especially poignant:

"The condition on that 1st round pick in the JT Miller trade may as well be 'if the Canucks don't make the playoffs in 2019-20 I'm probably out of a job anyway so who cares"

Motivational.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
We might shed this pick to NJ based on winning percentage for this early June draft the NHL head office is pushing, then turn around and miss the playoffs. Even though that would be beneficial, it would be kind of hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->