Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TBL] Cond. 1st ('20 / '21), 2019 3rd, Marek Mazanec for J.T. Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I think missing the playoffs next year is as close to a sure thing as you can get. We're essentially 15 points shy of where you need to be to get in. Last year the cutoff was lower than usual, as a bunch of teams had off years (which I think inflated our points, and makes us look closer than we actually were).

There's very little chance Miller and whatever overpriced UFA we sign are making up that difference.

I figure it's about 50/50 on whether we just gave up a lottery pick. Which is why you never do this.

This is a classic short term move at the expense of long term, a strategy that invariably leads to bad results. Numerous championship teams have been built from taking advantage of dumb GMs like this. Montreal was the master at this "Yeah, trade us your first round pick, our guy will make you better right away, oh gee, thanks for Guy Lafleur at first overall..."

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
x-Pettersson-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin

Potential young.. hard to play against top 6 in a couple years. If the pick ends up in the 20 range. I'll be over it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
x-Pettersson-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin

Potential young.. hard to play against top 6 in a couple years. If the pick ends up in the 20 range. I'll be over it.

I’m not one to post fantasy line ups, or at least not since I was 10 years old, but this one has a not terrible chance of happening in 2-4 years*

Goals/Points

Miller - Pettersson- Boeser
20/60 - - 35/ 90 - - - 35/75

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin
25/45 - - - - 20/55 - - - 30/60

Virtanen - Gaudette - Madden
15/30 - - - - 10/30 - - - - 10/25

*Pending a new GM who can fix the mess on defense and bring in more than one defenseman that can skate and move the puck at a high level.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Don’t like the deal any more than I did last night. It’s very short sighted. Tampa Bay was in a cap crunch and they managed to actually extract assets from us for a player they didn’t even need.

Miller is a quality player, but he’s not worth what we paid for him. The condition on the 1st is risky at best, catastrophic at worst. It should have been something like this:

-If the Canucks miss the playoffs in 2020, the pick slides to 2021.
-If the Canucks miss the playoffs in 2021, the pick is top 3 protected and turns into a 2nd rounder in 2021 if they win a lottery spot.

He’s also not going to fix the defence, which is our most glaring need. Would have much rather traded for Barrie or Subban and used the FA money on a winger instead.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Let's see. Had a night to sleep on it, and...nope. Still hate the deal. Would you trade Pettersson or Boeser for Miller 1 for 1? Would you throw in Hutton or Gaudette and a minor leaguer on top of it? When the team's still full of holes? Neither would I. And we still don't know how much cap room Benning's going to blow in a week.

I wouldn't trade Pettersson or Boeser for Miller, but I would trade Juolevi or Virtanen for Miller.

Reactions: Fraser28

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
It’s actually depressing being this big of a fan of this team and having this moron bumble the organization. We’re not a playoff team next year but this 2021 1st will eventually sting, it could be the Avs getting Byram this year.

Reactions: daddyohsix

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't trade Pettersson or Boeser for Miller, but I would trade Juolevi or Virtanen for Miller.
That’s pretty sad though when you’re arguing that the GM might make a bad first round pick so the deal could be good.
Juolevi should have been Tkachuk. Virtanen you can argue either way but most thought it should have been Nylander or Ehlers.
That’s a good player in our last five drafts plus we threw in the third rounder.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
This trade depends on what Vancouver does in next two years. It has potential to be good trade or terrible trade. If pick is 18th plus good trade if top 10 bad in between fair.

Moving slowly forward and hoping we will be better 3 years from now was not an option. They need to make some moves. Compare this trade to 26 games of Hayes where Winnipeg traded their 1st.

Miller is not a cap dump. He is under paid based on what we would get as ufa. Hayes went 7 for 7. In two years they likely could trade Miller for a first still. Team needs some balance upfront. Now forward wise there is some size.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
That’s pretty sad though when you’re arguing that the GM might make a bad first round pick so the deal could be good.
Juolevi should have been Tkachuk. Virtanen you can argue either way but most thought it should have been Nylander or Ehlers.
That’s a good player in our last five drafts plus we threw in the third rounder.

No, the point is that just throwing out names of guys we could draft with that pick is meaningless. By throwing out names like Pettersson and Boeser, is the argument that this pick guaranteed to end up being Pettersson or Boeser? If you're saying that it could be Pettersson or Boeser, well "could" has a wide range of outcomes.

Make a good argument.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This trade depends on what Vancouver does in next two years. It has potential to be good trade or terrible trade. If pick is 18th plus good trade if top 10 bad in between fair.

Moving slowly forward and hoping we will be better 3 years from now was not an option. They need to make some moves. Compare this trade to 26 games of Hayes where Winnipeg traded their 1st.

Miller is not a cap dump. He is under paid based on what we would get as ufa. Hayes went 7 for 7. In two years they likely could trade Miller for a first still. Team needs some balance upfront. Now forward wise there is some size.
Weird comparison with the Jets. Did they miss the playoffs for the past four consecutive seasons? Sure they were a first round exit this year, but at the time they dealt that 1st, they had made it to the conference finals the prior season. We ain’t anywhere near that yet.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I wouldn't.

What are the odds that the pick turns out to be a Pettersson/Hughes/Horvat/Boeser type?
Depends. Say they sneak in as the last team, 16/17th overall this year was Alex Newhook and Peyton Krebs. If we search your post history, will we find you gushing over either of these players?
Tell me would you trade either of those picks for Miller?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Weird comparison with the Jets. Did they miss the playoffs for the past four consecutive seasons? Sure they were a first round exit this year, but at the time they dealt that 1st, they had made it to the conference finals the prior season. We ain’t anywhere near that yet.
This move mirrors more Ottawa/Toronto than any good trade.
So 2nd and 8th overall for Toronto and 4th overall with Ottawa. Think those teams regret those moves at all?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Depends. Say they sneak in as the last team, 16/17th overall this year was Alex Newhook and Peyton Krebs. If we search your post history, will we find you gushing over either of these players?
Tell me would you trade either of those picks for Miller?

Feel free to look.

I've mentioned over and over again that I think fair value for a player like JT Miller is a pick in the 6-10 range, based on previous trades (Stepan, Hartman and Tatar).

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Because the Rangers were selling off just about every decent player that they had, and subsequently Tampa had to make some cap room and the only two vets with sizable salaries who didn't have trade protection were Miller and Kucherov.
Just two coincidences the directly coincide. Guess that's convenient.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I personally don’t think it’s s bad trade since at trade deadline teams give up similar assets for soon to be ufas. We traded for a 26 year old with 4 years left. He add a proven 2nd line winger to our line up right now.

Reactions: MikeK

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
How about Horvat or Hughes?

Yeah, you also have to factor in the team went off the board (a bit) with Virtanen and Juolevi.

Most on here would have taken Ehlers/Nylander or Tkachuk/Keller (based on the so you think you can draft thread)

So you’re looking at losing an asset of that pedigree (if they don’t make the playoffs two years in a row) for a guy a team in a cap crunch essentially needed to trade.

Again I don’t have an issue with the team trading picks now for prime aged good roster players on good contracts, I just don’t think you should have traded this pick for J.T. Miller.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Feb 19, 2018
After some time to relax I don’t hate this deal as he will bring a lot to this team from a scoring and physical standpoint. We got two top 6 wingers this weekend with the Podkolzin pick who play physical and will put up points. The fact he plays Centre as well can only help if we have injuries.
I feel if we are out of the playoffs next trade deadline Tanev can go a long way to recovering the first we will be giving up in the trade.

Welcome to Vancouver TJ

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I personally don’t think it’s s bad trade since at trade deadline teams give up similar assets for soon to be ufas. We traded for a 26 year old with 4 years left. He add a proven 2nd line winger to our line up right now.
The teams that trade picks at the deadline are usually good and not the worst team in the league over the past 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad