Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TB] Canucks acquire G Spencer Martin for Future Considerations

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Will the NHL mandate a taxi squad with a 3rd goalie again this year? Guess this would cover that.

But hey, maybe it's something more.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder what the "futures" are. The Canucks are already at a deficit of picks for the next two drafts.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
His name is Spencer Martin, not Martin Spencer and he is going to be the #4 goalie. "Future considerations" is generally analogous to nothing or very close to nothing.

Silovs is the #4 guy. But if they need a goalie taxi squad spot they will likely move the 3 guys around a bit.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Maybe Jim learned something from that time he had to throw Dipietro to the lions. That or they've realized Silovs sucks. Or both.

After the criticism Benning took two seasons ago when the Canucks called DiPietro up from junior and he ended up having to play, it was notable that Benning went the other way last season and had five goalies on NHL contracts. This does the same. It seems pretty clear Benning doesn't want that kind of situation to arise again.

I think Silovs is more likely to be ECHL-bound, but we'll see.

You're almost certainly right.

As you and most of hfb-Canucks will be aware, the Collective Bargaining Agreement (Article 13.11) prohibits loans of players on standard player contracts to the ECHL without their consent if they are no longer on their entry level contracts. With five goalies on NHL contracts and only Silovs and DiPietro on entry level contracts, any plan at this stage other than sending Silovs to the ECHL is unlikely.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if Jimbo is clearing the decks for another trade with an NHL team that's in the market for a goaltender, as part of package?

Nowhere for Martin to play, other than backup in Abbotsford and I assume he would have to clear waivers for them to get him there. Not sure sending Silovs to the ECHL is the best thing for his development.

But you assume that Ian Clark signed off on this kid. Originally drafted in the third round by Colorado and has spent most of his career in the Lightning system, the last two at Syracuse. Good size at 6'3, 200.....Another project for Clark or a trade chip?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Seems like the plan would be for DiPietro and Martin to share the net in Abbotsford. Martin has lots of experience at the AHL level.

Agree this like means Silovs is in the ECHL.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
But you assume that Ian Clark signed off on this kid. Originally drafted in the third round by Colorado and has spent most of his career in the Lightning system, the last two at Syracuse. Good size at 6'3, 200.....Another project for Clark or a trade chip?

Is Ian Clarke consulted on every goalie transaction now?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Has the NHL said that a 3rd goalie on the taxi squad won't be required this year? I think the talk of Silovs to the ECHL are a bit premature as they may need all 5 goalies up.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
.....Another project for Clark or a trade chip?

My guess is that he'd have to improve considerably to be thought of as a worthwhile trade chip and that he's being considered as not without some potential but that development beyond being extra depth would be a pleasant surprise.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
His AHL stats are very pedestrian. Not saying goalies can’t turn their careers around at his age of course.

Can Silovs play in the OHL next season as an overager? Might be good for him if he can.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Has the NHL said that a 3rd goalie on the taxi squad won't be required this year? I think the talk of Silovs to the ECHL are a bit premature as they may need all 5 goalies up.

I haven't seen anything from the NHL about taxi squads for the coming season, but you raise a good point with increasing covid numbers making it more likely that the NHL may extend the existence of taxi squads past the originally planned one season.

Reactions: MarkMM

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's a Vet for the Baby Nucks. Gonna have to go see a few games looks like they are putting a competitive team together there. However, I must admit I have no clue who these guys are they are signing but from reading here a solid bunch.

Reactions: MarkMM

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
There aren't going to be taxi squads this year. We have a normal schedule with normal divisions. We'd have heard about it if there was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->