Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Tanner Pearson signs extension with the Canucks (3 years, $3.25M AAV)

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Sry if i think its a fair contract which i will say again for a 28 yr old 3rd liner that can play on the 2nd line at times at 3 mill isnt the end of the world jfc

In a vacuum it’s not the end of the world, on a team that already has a ton of overpaid veterans and needs to sign Petterson and Hughes it’s asinine.

Did you think the Roussel, Sutter and Beagle contracts were fair? Do you think that this is somehow different or better than those contracts?

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Not sure why everyones up in arms for a 3rd liner(that can play 2nd line at times) getting just over 3 mill. Lots of 3rd liners make this with similar numbers.
Because Vancouver has too much cap space tied into depth players that are harder to move as is, and players like Toffoli would have likely been re-signed if it wasn’t for said contracts?

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
In a vacuum it’s not the end of the world, on a team that already has a ton of overpaid veterans and needs to sign Petterson and Hughes it’s asinine.

Did you think the Roussel, Sutter and Beagle contracts were fair? Do you think that this is somehow different or better than those contracts?
Im not saying those were good signings which they obviously werent but pearson for 3 years is fine imo. I dont see it comparable to those. Some deals work some dont. Most of the really bad ones are almost off the books.

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
Vancouver is the funniest organization in the league

they can be defined by a Battle between two groups of people within the organization
"Scouting" vs "Pro scouting"

Pro scouting - it seems like their sole purpose is to target and trade and sign for players that absolutely destroy the best players on their roster.

Those best players on the roster came from other department minor scouting.

it's a battle for the ages

I'm confident in saying Vancouver would be a contender if they stopped taking part in free agency and trading for players.
they'd probably be pretty good too maybe one like 6-8 seed in the playoffs.

Last edited:

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Vancouver really is out to handcuff themselves, another overpaid bottom 6 player. I guess at least it's only a 3 year deal but they probably would have been better served trying to rid themselves of some to the dead weight first

Reactions: RebuildinVan

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Well next year we wont have roussell sutter beagle ferland or edler
Wait, what happened to Roussel Beagle and Ferland? Their contract has another year or more on them. I can maybe understand if you are implying that Ferland will just LTIRetire, but Beagle and Roussel should be healthy. Did I miss something?

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
Wait, what happened to Roussel Beagle and Ferland? Their contract has another year or more on them. I can maybe understand if you are implying that Ferland will just LTIRetire, but Beagle and Roussel should be healthy. Did I miss something?
Roussel is a UFA
Beagle they are saying will most likely be on LTIR next season with ferland. We aint re-signing edler with trymakin returning.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Always the opposite of what should freaking happen. It's getting very hard to continue being a fan of this team, and I've been a fan for 30+ years now.

Hearing that there was a lot of interesting Pearson from other teams. He should of been traded for freaking draft picks.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Roussel is a UFA
Beagle they are saying will most likely be on LTIR next season with ferland. We aint re-signing edler with trymakin returning.
Pretty sure Roussel has another year on his contract after this one, I just checked Capfriendly. Beagle as well, and I'll be surprised if he will be LTIR next season as well, seeing as we are like 6 months away from the start of next season. That is plenty of time to heal from whatever is ailing him right now.
With the Demko and Pearson signings, we are essentially bridging Petterson and Hughes unless Benning is able to dump some cap in the offseason. I'm not sure bridging your 2 franchise players is a wise move.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Its kind of incredible how good, in general, Vancouver's scouting has been under Benning and how bad they've been with free agents.
As a life long Canuck fan, this is actually not really the case. Sure the Canucks have had some good picks over the past 5-6 years but they had one of the worst records in the NHL over a 5 year span between 2014-2019 so they had high picks.
-Some of the drafting credit needs to go to Judd Brackett (and the rest of the team scouts) who is no longer with the organization because of Benning and his desire to be the sole decision maker.
-Boeser was a good pick, Pettersson and Hughes were good picks, but the Canucks also drafted Virtanen at #6, Juolevi at #5
-Canucks only have 1 active dman that was drafted by the team in Bennings time as GM (Hughes)
-Canucks only have 3 NHL roster players that Jim drafted outside of the 1st round (Hoglander, 2nd round, Demko, 2nd round and Gaudette, 5th round).

So yes there were some good picks but there have been a lot of bad ones too. When you compare the good vs the bad and then account for Benning's free agent signings and trades it becomes very lop-sided to the bad.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
Roussel & Beagle were atrocious contracts from the get-go! (Holtby @4.3 x 2 is equally bad!)
Term & 3M for proven 4th line players is very bad.
Even worse on a rebuilding team.

Pearson @ 3.25 over 3 years isn't terrible, he is a top 9 player that shuffles between the 2nd & 3rd lines with some PP time.
The Canucks seem to like him enough to sign him so why not guarantee him protection from expansion!

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Lol, what are you doing Benning?

Absolutely unnecessary signing. Add him to the list of immovable roster objects.

It's unfortunate that covid has ravaged our roster and not our management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->