Proposal: Van Ott

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Ottawa has zero interest in a player like Virtanen. Maybe less than zero. Yes Logan Brown is available...but probably for a player that may dress one day for Ottawa. Lol @ throwing in a 2nd on top of that, c'mon.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd be fine acquiring Brown. I don't know what we have to offer, but Brown would be a cool addition if he didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Virtanen is a sunk asset for us, I still feel we play him in the role he's in and don't expect any more from him then 15/15 and decent defensive/intermittent physical play. Then we can be pleasantly surprised every 4-5 games.

Ottawa has what we all dreamed Virtanen could be in Tkachuk, so even the promise of Virtanen contributing at an even level isn't much of a selling point.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Ok. Sanderson+2021 1st+ A Formenton + and2

lol, nope - completely uninterested.

The only Super Piece the Sens should have any interest in moving is next years first unprotected.
It’s a pretty solid lock for a top 5 pick.
After that Brannstrom is the next most valuable guy who could be made available.

There is just no way they move:
Tkachuk, Stutzle, Chabot, or Sanderson

If it’s a futures deal Ottawa can put a great package together, they just don’t have enough to trade current ‘talent’.
If CBus is going for it then there is no deal from Ottawa that makes sense. If they are rebuilding then they need assets in the system as the cupboard is pretty empty, in which case Ottawa could certainly be a good fit - and would likely overpay.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Brown+ another spare part for much better part? yeah right

Brown will eventually get moved for a 2nd/3rd

How did you get "Brown + another spare part" for "part of a package for a much better player than Virtanen" lol

You yourself say he's worth equivalent of a 2nd/3rd... has a 2nd/3rd never been part of a package for an NHL player, including one who is much better than Virtanen? Quit making a fool of yourself.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We'd be better off waiting to see what Brown can do if and when he's called up. His numbers in the ahl are excellent, he's not being traded just for the sake of it - or he shouldn't

Reactions: Wondercarrot

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
We'd be better off waiting to see what Brown can do if and when he's called up. His numbers in the ahl are excellent, he's not being traded just for the sake of it - or he shouldn't

Agreed. The Sens need what he could be more than anything they can realistically get for him. Unless he can be included in a package to land a top talent I don't see the point in trading him yet.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Agreed. The Sens need what he could be more than anything they can realistically get for him. Unless he can be included in a package to land a top talent I don't see the point in trading him yet.

Yeah, exactly. I'd rather roll the dice on Brown and have him bust than get a late 2nd for him, and honestly its not even close. I do have a soft spot for Virtanen as a player but, even if he does develop, he'd kinda be more of the same for us. More specifically, I dont think we should be moving playmaking talent for good, but not great, goal scorers. We could use a guy who can really pot 30+, but we're gonna have a LOT of 20ish goal guys.

Compounded by this fact is that a lot of our C prospects are better at goalscoring than playmaking, which isnt necessarily a bad thing but it definitely means you need playmaking talent on the wing (or to supplement them with a good playmaking C, like Brown may be).

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
lol, nope - completely uninterested.

The only Super Piece the Sens should have any interest in moving is next years first unprotected.
It’s a pretty solid lock for a top 5 pick.
After that Brannstrom is the next most valuable guy who could be made available.

There is just no way they move:
Tkachuk, Stutzle, Chabot, or Sanderson

If it’s a futures deal Ottawa can put a great package together, they just don’t have enough to trade current ‘talent’.
If CBus is going for it then there is no deal from Ottawa that makes sense. If they are rebuilding then they need assets in the system as the cupboard is pretty empty, in which case Ottawa could certainly be a good fit - and would likely overpay.
Then you simply rule the Sens out on any players near the PLD tier. You can’t buy something off that shelf without parting with a core piece or two. Sorry, but you just pulled Ottawa out of the sweepstakes.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Then you simply rule the Sens out on any players near the PLD tier. You can’t buy something off that shelf without parting with a core piece or two. Sorry, but you just pulled Ottawa out of the sweepstakes.

the sweepstakes to give up a cost controlled player we drafted, who is just as good/better or as promising, so you can trade your player?
Yeah, I’m totally Ok with that.

Nov 1, 2011
I don't know how Virtanen takes so much shit.

He's a 3rd liner, who brings size, that scores at a 20/20 pace and often leads the team in hits on a $2.5m contract.

Certainly he's not the Canucks' major problem apart from the fact that all Canucks fans want him to be a top 6 player.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
From an on-ice perspective Virtanen fits what the Senators want to do like a glove, so I wouldn't dismiss it completely. That being said, he's superfluous on a team with a glut of wingers and he'd likely end up stuck on the 4th line for the foreseeable future, which seems like a bit of a waste.

If Brown is dealt in a 1 for 1 for another struggling player/project I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Virtanen given the Sens MO these days. That being said, it's a better use of the asset if they can flip him along with picks and prospects for a bonafide upgrade at C or RD (which admittedly, might not be available)

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
I don't know how Virtanen takes so much shit.

He's a 3rd liner, who brings size, that scores at a 20/20 pace and often leads the team in hits on a $2.5m contract.

Certainly he's not the Canucks' major problem apart from the fact that all Canucks fans want him to be a top 6 player.

Exactly, I'd like to see the list of 3rd line wingers that put up 18+ goals last season, and 15+ goals the season before. I bet the list isn't very long.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Ottawa has zero interest in a player like Virtanen. Maybe less than zero. Yes Logan Brown is available...but probably for a player that may dress one day for Ottawa. Lol @ throwing in a 2nd on top of that, c'mon.
Logan Brown sucks.

Virtanen is an NHL player that scored 18 goals.

Logan Brown Sucks.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
What’s the favour?

Virtanen scored 18 in a shortened season and has a decent (albeit less than was hoped) edge to his game.

Are you claiming he’s a negative asset?
OP is trying to move out Jake
I like Virtanen well enough,
but if Van wants to move on, and bring back a former 1st rdr who makes 1/3 the salary, in flat Cap world, thats close to fair.
Chatfleld is just another AAAA D who hasnt stuck yet, every team has 1 or more of those, he + 5th doesnt earn you a 2d back.

Last edited:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
OP is trying to move out Jake
I like Virtanen well enough,
but if Van wants to move on, and bring back a former 1st rdr who makes 1/3 the salary, in flat Cap world, thats close to fair.
Chatfleld is just another AAAA D who hasnt stuck yet, every ream has 1 or more of those, he + 5th doesnt earn you a 2d back.

Oh, I don’t deny the OP’s value is unreasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad