Proposal: Van Ott

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Canucks should soon be looking to move on from Virtanen as he hasnt really felt the fire to elevate his game to the NEXT level. I think he can make it there, but not in a Canucks jersey. Also Vancity has a GLUT of dmen waiting to get their shot and some could easily make other teams lineups and Chatty is that guy. Ottawa also is looking to move on from Brown, could use some physicality and has lots a picks, so how about this.

Lemme know if the picks could be ajusted slightly to BALANCE out the trade in your opinion:

To Ottawa: Virtanen, Chatfield, 2022 5th round pick

To Vancity: Brown, 2021 2nd round pick

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I think it's more fair if you take out all the fluff (Chatfield & the picks)

That being said, I don't know that either team goes for it.... think Ottawa either keeps Brown to marinate on the farm (until they move some bodies out down the road) or pulls a different asset that better suits their needs... and Vancouver, being fairly strong down the middle (aside from arguably needing more of a traditional matchup 3C), doesn't really *need* a guy like Brown

If he is legit on the outs, let him go to any one of the teams that could give him a look as a prospective top 6 C

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hell no. Virtanen isn't good.
And Brown is? A guy that’s still a minor leaguer getting past by younger players coming thru the system. Brown is maybe worth a 3rd rounder.

if he gets traded, it will be for another stalled or failed prospect from another organization

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
And Brown is? A guy that’s still a minor leaguer getting past by younger players coming thru the system. Brown is maybe worth a 3rd rounder.

if he gets traded, it will be for another stalled or failed prospect from another organization

Ottawa only trades Brown within a package for a much better player than Virtanen.

Reactions: Altimus

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Boom or bust for Brown. Either he hits as a legit top 6 center, or he fades into nothingness. The Senators don't need medicore pieces and picks. They need elite talent, especially a center.

Only way they trade Brown this season is if they can package him for someone way better.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Boom or bust for Brown. Either he hits as a legit top 6 center, or he fades into nothingness. The Senators don't need medicore pieces and picks. They need elite talent, especially a center.

Only way they trade Brown this season is if they can package him for someone way better.
Again, he’s just filler. Not even good filler. So the base is what’s interesting in such offers. Brown is no where near base in an offer for a better player.

And filler is interchangeable. Several teams may have zero interest in him and would want other filler from Ottawa.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
An 11th OA pick who due to bad luck with injuries hasn't even gotten in 30 games in the NHL and is 6.6 .... hmmmm I think I'd hold onto him for a little longer. Especially if the offer is Virtanen and Ottawa adds a 2nd to boot!! lol

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Brown's only real issue has been staying healthy. He has other flaws, obviously, but the guy has played 177 games over his 4 post-draft seasons. People saying he sucks or is garbage in this thread sound really dumb. A 6.6 21 year old posting 1.12pt/g in the A and .35pt/g in the NHL is very solid. His offensive skill is borderline elite. He will draw into the lineup over the year and get a real shot to stick... certainly before he's dealt for a 3rd, lol.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Cmon guys NEITHER is garbage, got their strengths and short comings

Agreed, and I dont think this is a bad trade even though I wouldnt do it from the Sens perspective. Both players have major warts at this point... Virtanen is more of a sure thing, Brown has the ability to be a PP threat to an extent that Virtanen does not... Brown plays a more important position, but that's not exactly a plus if you aren't able to grab one of those spots... Ottawa isn't super strong on RW (although they've been building it up lately without using prime assets to do so), but have a huge amount of young C's who project pretty safely in the middle of the lineup

This is a trade I would re-evaluate later in the year, personally. Although I have met Jake and know people who know him well, and I know people who know Brown reasonably well, and I'll just say that I find it a lot easier to root for Brown lol. I do like Jakes raw ability as a player though, and think if he really decides he wants to be an important player he could be one (and would fit great with the style we're building).

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad