Confirmed with Link: [VAN/OTT] Anders Nilsson, Darren Archibald traded for Tom Pyatt, Mike McKenna, 6th Round Pick in '19

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Just got home and holy shit there was a trade! only read the first page, but I really don't like this deal for us.

I predict Nilsson to take over as starter, and lead the team to a strong finish, likely not enough for playoffs, but a start strong enough to give him a new contract and more games next year.

Draft picks are worth NOTHING and we lost the two best players in this trade. Nilsson > McKenna and Archibald > Pyatt.

I thought Archie deserved more chances with the big club as well and still may be better than Schaller has been for us, man, another guy that's come to Vancouver and really fallen off the cliff.

We have NO idea that Demko is ready to play. I agree that we've got to figure out what we have in him before reupping him in the summertime.

the ONLY saving grace for this trade is that everyone's a FA in the summer, and we save a tiny amount of cap & cash.

Disappointing. Goodbye Anders Nilsson, and your weirdly hot (but mostly not) wife.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the ONLY saving grace for this trade is that everyone's a FA in the summer, and we save a tiny amount of cap & cash.

That's why it's not a bad trade. Archibald was a free agent last summer and went to market. He ended up signing back with Vancouver after July 1 after no other team wanted him. So, not as if there's interest from the league for him.

Nilsson, wasn't returning next season due to Demko. Winless in his last 8/9 starts. 8 weeks left before the TDL. Hutchinson just fetched a 5th rounder in 2020 from Toronto. If that's a 2019 pick, the difference would be like 7-8 draft positions with the Ottawa pick. Demko is going to get a contract regardless. You want him to get into 12-15 games this season because Markstrom is up in 2020. Need to know what kind of second goalie you will require to split time with Demko after next season. More experience he gets this year will only help him figure out what he needs work on over the summer and into next season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Glad Benning got a centre for Utica on this. Sucks giving up Archibald but at least it was for an AHL C

Overall we get a 6th out of this and Demko can come up. Cool. Hopefully Pyatt is good enough to replace Archibald in the A...

I had to go back to 97 to find a 6th round pick by the Caucks that even made the NHL in Matt Coke.

I'm a diehard, lifelong Canucks fan and can't even remember Chad Brownlee

Chad Brownlee (b.1984) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think Tom Pyatt will help the Comets and serves as a decent injury call up. He's not bad. We're a little bit soft in Utica but Arch wasn't providing much toughness anymore. I have no problem with this trade; like picking up a pick, that's always nice. Demko gets his shot now obviously too of course. We'll see what happens there, Nilsson was shitting the bed here, he can go try is luck in Ottawa...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Just got home and holy **** there was a trade! only read the first page, but I really don't like this deal for us.

I predict Nilsson to take over as starter, and lead the team to a strong finish, likely not enough for playoffs, but a start strong enough to give him a new contract and more games next year.

Draft picks are worth NOTHING and we lost the two best players in this trade. Nilsson > McKenna and Archibald > Pyatt.

I thought Archie deserved more chances with the big club as well and still may be better than Schaller has been for us, man, another guy that's come to Vancouver and really fallen off the cliff.

We have NO idea that Demko is ready to play. I agree that we've got to figure out what we have in him before reupping him in the summertime.

Disappointing. Goodbye Anders Nilsson, and your weirdly hot (but mostly not) wife.

I too feel that Nilsson is waaaay better than he has shown here in recent weeks but then he has been given little chance to shine in Vancouver. Getting a draft pick out of this deal is good and all and we can always re-sign Archie when he becomes a UFA if we really want to. The part of this trade that perplexes me is the notion that it was done with an eye to introducing Demko to the NHL. Never mind that he is still recovering from a concussion and has hardly set the AHL on fire but if the Canucks are serious about this kid they are going to have to totally change their strategy with regard with how they determine which goalie starts which game. If they continue to pick the tough games, the early starts, the second of back to backs and all the other weird games that they have sheltered Markstrom from playing and give them to the backup(like they did almost exclusively with Nilsson (who played 2/3 rds of his games on the road and both of this season's starts against Tampa) it is almost certain that, barring a miraculous turnaround in his game, Demko will get destroyed and lose what little confidence that he might already have thus literally rendering him useless to the organisation and possibly derailing his career forever. Luckily we have DiPietro in the pipeline if that happens but I still think this strategy is foolhardy...

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Good riddance to Nilsson. His head doesn't even seem like its in hockey. More interested in taking half naked Instagram pics and going to pool parties.

Reactions: vcanuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Have the Canucks been blown out of games much this year? No.. Not even during that 13 game skid. Pretty much in every game until like the final 10 minutes of like the Winnipeg game and the final 7 minutes of the Pittsburgh game because 2 goals got scored.

Demko will be fine. He is very mature. Understands the nature of the position and what the expectation is for backups at this point in time.

The NJ game, not sure if that is the final one off, but that was a brutal start for any goalie. Fly in from MST zone to the East the day before and play a 1 pm game.

They will figure out when to put him in.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I liked Archibald... sucks that he never got a real chance here and he was a fan favourite in Utica. Tom Pyatt sucks and I’m worried he’s going to get overplayed as he always seems to. Was never a fan of Nilsson but I’m not so sure Demko is ready for the NHL yet. Getting a pick is nice, even if it’s really late.

If Pyatt plays in the AHL I’ll chalk this up to a slight win. If he gets anywhere near our top-9 it’s a loss.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
So we are coming to a point where some ppl get mad because we gave up a 2.5m average back up and a NHL plug for a 6th round pick/two UFA AHL additions/ a chance for Demko to prove himself before his ELC expires.
Some ppl just can’t seperate their hates toward JB from good things he did. Not everything needs to be black

Reactions: Zippgunn and F A N

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
ONE GUY. ONE.

And this guy, who was making bets that Pettersson wasn't going to be good.

"The Anti-Benning faction" has been accurately assessing the trade as "good" due to the pick. Don't try to drop your woe is me, everyone that disagrees with me is a hater, irrational, biased, garbage.

The truth is "The Anti-Benning faction" are mostly level headed, and right in being critical of most of JBs actions, but you can't accept that and need to justify your lack of bias-intelligence by picking out a single nonsensical poster. Nice one.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Zippgunn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad