Confirmed Trade: [VAN/NYR] Marek Mazanec for a 2020 7th round pick

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
good belated move. canucks messed up thinking de pietro could handle an nhl start and starting him against a team like san jose was a ridiculous move. there were some goals not his fault but others where he was exposed. he's a visibly small goalie and he will need a lot more technique to compensate for it in the nhl. no way would i risk letting him start again and potentially reinforce that humiliating experience.

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
There is literally a no win. The media is now up in a roar because they 'put Mikey in a bad situation' while developing. When just last night they were praising they'd get to see him. Then the Vancouver D absolutely craps the bed, and suddenly an inexperienced NHL goalie is exploited and it's his fault?

Benning was waiting for the Flyers to waive McKenna. The Flyers literally have 7 goalies in their system in some form right now. I'm sure Benning didn't want to waste assets getting a goalie when they had Markstrom/Demko and Bachman/McKenna when the Flyers eventually waive him. They got in a bad situation when Demko tweaked his leg. This happens. The team is still not a full contender. The Canucks would not even be in the playoff hunt without Elias, Markstrom and the West literally being a dumpster fire with all 80% of the teams in some form of a retool/rebuild from it's previous dominance the last ten seasons.

Mikey was fine, not great, but fine. The defense depth is the issue, as it has been since 2011. After Edler, Tanev, and Hamhuis it fell off the cliff. It's never been rectified, and has been a constant struggle. The only difference is now it's Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Stecher. And with Edler on the IR, it's just another example of how trash it is once you get past the top two pairs.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There is literally a no win. The media is now up in a roar because they 'put Mikey in a bad situation' while developing. When just last night they were praising they'd get to see him. Then the Vancouver D absolutely craps the bed, and suddenly an inexperienced NHL goalie is exploited and it's his fault?

Benning was waiting for the Flyers to waive McKenna. The Flyers literally have 7 goalies in their system in some form right now. I'm sure Benning didn't want to waste assets getting a goalie when they had Markstrom/Demko and Bachman/McKenna when the Flyers eventually waive him. They got in a bad situation when Demko tweaked his leg. This happens. The team is still not a full contender. The Canucks would not even be in the playoff hunt without Elias, Markstrom and the West literally being a dumpster fire with all 80% of the teams in some form of a retool/rebuild from it's previous dominance the last ten seasons.

Mikey was fine, not great, but fine. The defense depth is the issue, as it has been since 2011. After Edler, Tanev, and Hamhuis it fell off the cliff. It's never been rectified, and has been a constant struggle. The only difference is now it's Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Stecher. And with Edler on the IR, it's just another example of how trash it is once you get past the top two pairs.

I don't think anyone's blaming DiPietro.....kid'll learn from this and continue developing. Got thrown to the wolves by over-eager management hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Didn't work out, obviously, so now they've made a panic move to try and fix what they did.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That ironic moment when the fan base of a team who arguably selected their greatest player in franchise history in the 7th round mocks the aquisition of a seventh rounder in exchange for an absolute zero future with the organization player.

Reactions: Kallio

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I don't think anyone's blaming DiPietro.....kid'll learn from this and continue developing. Got thrown to the wolves by over-eager management hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Didn't work out, obviously, so now they've made a panic move to try and fix what they did.
Well he didnt help himself with his poor play thats for sure

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well he didnt help himself with his poor play thats for sure

Outside of a very small number of wunderkinds, you'd be hard pressed to name another goalie who stepped in as a teenager and turned in a masterful performance in his debut. Hart's close, but already 20.

Trying to think of the last teenager to make his NHL debut in goal, and succeed.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Love it when a non-bluecheckmark breaks a trade

Tony is a great follow for AHL (Particularly Lehigh Valley) news (And I’m not using his first name because we’re friends or anything; I just can never remember how to spell his last name!).

Benning was waiting for the Flyers to waive McKenna. The Flyers literally have 7 goalies in their system in some form right now.
I want an NHL GM to sign piles of NHL/AHL goalies, basically all of them to 1-way deals worth slightly above the minimum then wait for other teams to need goalies bad enough that they have to give up assets for them. I think it’s at least a better plan than the one Chiarelli had!

Reactions: uncleben

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i don't think it's a panic move. i am sure they had explored the options and didn't want to give up a 7th rounder for a very short term issue.

in the best possible light, they knew dp was not ready and told him that and were about to move for another goalie, but the markstrom issue came up last minute and they weighed the options of risking injuring their only nhl goalie, and decided to offer dp the start after first preparing him beforehand for this type of outcome and dp wanted to go for it.

anything less than that generous scenario and it is on management and coaching staff to put dp out there. i just cannot believe they didn't know from practice how exposed he would be.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lol why didn't you guys just keep Nilsson?

Everyone seemed so excited when they sent Nilsson out, because it meant it was Demko time. :laugh:

In fairness, they really needed to get Demko into some games and ease him into what was almost always 100% certain to be the backup role next season. Three headed goaltending monsters absolutely do not work, and Nilsson wouldn't have cleared waivers down to the AHL. So they needed to clear space and got a pick out of it. That's fine.

They just got themselves into a bad situation by not having the depth in net down the charts to cover for Demko moving up. Losing their expected AHL guy in McKenna to waivers caused an issue, and then Demko getting injured threw a catastrophic wrench in their plans. They just have a really thin goaltending pipeline, and have for a while now. They've got all their eggs in two baskets (Demko/DiPietro) when it comes to goaltenders for the future...which means they only really have the 1 young goaltender at the Pro level. Makes it really hard to move guys up when there's nothing to backfill behind them.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Lol why didn't you guys just keep Nilsson?
Bc Vancouver was happy with Markstrom, and wanted to call up Demko.
They got McKenna in return to, as insurance, and so thought they could roll with Markstrom-Demko/McKenna, and didn't need Nilsson.

McKenna got claimed on waivers, stripping them down to Markstrom-Demko, before Demko got injured.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Everyone seemed so excited when they sent Nilsson out, because it meant it was Demko time. :laugh:

In fairness, they really needed to get Demko into some games and ease him into what was almost always 100% certain to be the backup role next season. Three headed goaltending monsters absolutely do not work, and Nilsson wouldn't have cleared waivers down to the AHL. So they needed to clear space and got a pick out of it. That's fine.

They just got themselves into a bad situation by not having the depth in net down the charts to cover for Demko moving up. Losing their expected AHL guy in McKenna to waivers caused an issue, and then Demko getting injured threw a catastrophic wrench in their plans. They just have a really thin goaltending pipeline, and have for a while now. They've got all their eggs in two baskets (Demko/DiPietro) when it comes to goaltenders for the future...which means they only really have the 1 young goaltender at the Pro level. Makes it really hard to move guys up when there's nothing to backfill behind them.

Don't forget Thiessen, though he's a few years away, at best...

Is there a reason Bachman wasn't called up?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Don't forget Thiessen, though he's a few years away, at best...

Is there a reason Bachman wasn't called up?

Bachman is out for the year with an injury, has been for a while, which is why they needed McKenna.

This is something you could argue either way but for a management team that's been prone to making all sorts of minor gaffes there's less sympathy as it's just another notch in the belt. They've needed another depth goaltender for about six weeks, not exactly a difficult task, but waited until after their 19 year old emergency OHL callup start an actual NHL game and got ventilated before finally pulling the trigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad