Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYR] Canucks acquired Marek Mazanec from Rangers for 2020 7th round pick

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
27 years old
Numbers in ahl is average
31 games in nhl...numbers are...bad
Basically a place holder until both Markstrom and Demko are healthy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, that’s basically the MDZ pick.

Best case was to drop a round like the Montreal trade getting Thompson’s and a 5th in exchange for a 4th.

Deal a 6th to take back a goalie and a 7th.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
"Why'd we sign Nilsson?"

"Nilsson is a waste of cap space and is actively blocking Demko"

"Why'd we only get a pick and a spare goalie? We don't need the goalie! We should waive him just to get rid of him"

"Benning should have known McKenna would get claimed, what an idiot!"

"We all called both goalies getting injured! Bennings an idiot!"

"Benning being an idiot means we ruined DiPietro as a prospect!"

"We wasted an asset on a goalie"

Based on all this data, my predicted action is Mazanec getting waived when both goalies are healthy, and reaction is:

"Why did we waive him, doesn't Benning know this will happen again?"

So...I think most of the board will want us to carry three goalies in perpetuity now?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
"Why'd we sign Nilsson?"

"Nilsson is a waste of cap space and is actively blocking Demko"

"Why'd we only get a pick and a spare goalie? We don't need the goalie! We should waive him just to get rid of him"

"Benning should have known McKenna would get claimed, what an idiot!"

"We all called both goalies getting injured! Bennings an idiot!"

"Benning being an idiot means we ruined DiPietro as a prospect!"

"We wasted an asset on a goalie"

Based on all this data, my predicted action is Mazanec getting waived when both goalies are healthy, and reaction is:

"Why did we waive him, doesn't Benning know this will happen again?"

So...I think most of the board will want us to carry three goalies in perpetuity now?
If that's what you got from reading here, try again.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Sorry, I should clarify, the board in general. This thread has been....well fairly sane.
I don't think anyone thinks they should carry 3 goalies.

I mean, maybe I just ignore dumb people, but the reasonable take here is this:

There should have been no urgency to getting Demko up, and the evidence that he was up for 30 days before getting a start speaks to this. So the trade was unneccessary in that lens, especially since they didn't make sure they replaced the organizational depth. If they couldn't be sure McKenna wouldn't make it through, don't make the trade.

The fact Dipietro on an emergency recall got in a game is less than ideal, embarrassed the management in front of the whole hockey world, and found a replacement the next day.

This was not an example of a situation being handled well, and it's another among a laundry list of examples that show this management regime is out of their depth.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

There should have been no urgency to getting Demko up, and the evidence that he was up for 30 days before getting a start speaks to this. So the trade was unneccessary in that lens, especially since they didn't make sure they replaced the organizational depth. If they couldn't be sure McKenna wouldn't make it through, don't make the trade.

The fact Dipietro on an emergency recall got in a game is less than ideal, embarrassed the management in front of the whole hockey world, and found a replacement the next day.

This was not an example of a situation being handled well, and it's another among a laundry list of examples that show this management regime is out of their depth.

Entirely sarcastic on the three goalies. I'm saying when he is waived when Demko and Markstrom are ready, that move will be called out as well.

My quotes are distilled from a lot of noise that has been made concerning goaltending, and the way I worded a lot of it is deliberately contradictory and illogical, much like the ever shifting views of the majority of the board concerning what should or could be done. I agree our dolt had little foresight, but it seems even if he does what the posters are calling on him to do, it's also the wrong call in hindsight.

Reactions: stampedingviking

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You think people are going to be upset when they waive Manzaneac? I don't think reasonable people would. I try to only speak with reasonable people. Or at least those who are willling to provide well thought out posts.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You think people are going to be upset when they waive Manzaneac? I don't think reasonable people would. I try to only speak with reasonable people. Or at least those who are willling to provide well thought out posts.

The forum has a mob mentality. All it takes is one person...

Given the circumstances, I think the trade is fine, even given the less than ideal stats. When he is waived I won't shed a tear, even if he is claimed, as he will have served the purpose we are using him for. "Waste of an asset" is a term I'm sure I will hear, but honestly, I just feel better about not serving up DiPietro to a top team in the league again.

And who knows, maybe Mazanec goes full Kipprusoff for us.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Nope. Still think a pick given up is a nothing. Now if he takes another month+ to find a replacement, that's a different situation. We're not talking about half a dozen goalie options but ONE. Shouldn't take five weeks to find that option.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The Situation was mishandled given how they used Demko upon his call up.

If they felt that 2 weeks or so of working with Clark was that important then they should have sent Clark to Utica to work with Demko for 2 weeks. Only if you’re ready to play the kid is it worth calling him up. He arrived for the Toronto game and played 1/6 home games. Backed up in cal, chi, before injruying his knee. 1 start in 9 games?

That’s the frustrating part. Given how tight the schedule was for that eastern Canada road trip, there was going to be very little practice time. Ideal time to send Clark off to Utica. 6 games in 9 days. So virtually no practice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad