Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Dale Weise for Raphael Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He had success NOT playing with Murray and Bouillon :laugh:
Funny that Subban has sucked ever since being paired with Murray for like 4 periods or whatever it was. Must still think he's playing with Murray every shift. :laugh:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Living in Vancouver and watching the Canucks a lot, Weise can fill a role.

Diaz wasn't playing. He has no value. He was mediocre defensively and showed little offensively.

One thing I don't mind seeing is that he can play the role that he is suited for. He is a 4th liner with potential to be a third liner. I get sick of seeing a line of players in the doghouse playing on the 4th line

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Because for once we discovered/developed a player "for nothing", and when a team absolutely desperate for a RHS defenseman comes along, we unload him for nothing/less than nothing. Had a chance to turn him into meaningful assets at least, but a desperate team actually got the better of Bergevin in this one, lol (poll on main board only says 35-3 Vancouver wins so far). How does that even happen...

I dont disagree with what you are saying here............

.........until you bring up the poll on the Main Board.

I am certain that a poll on the Main Board asking to rank in order the following 1. The Montreal Canadiens 2. Fracturing a tibia AND pulling a hamstring 3. Finding your girlfriend in a compromising situation with your best friend..........

we would still end up at the bottom of the list.;):D

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Diaz can't hit the net these days. He wasn't producing **** and Bergevin had enough.
Least goals against per-60 minutes... playing half of the season with Murray and Bouillon.

IIRC, his GAA per 60 minutes was the lowest in the league before he got paired with those bums.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Again...looking at Diaz's tenure with the Habs. He was a decent player

But I don't know how to classify him...he's not an offensive dman, he's not a defensive dman, he doesn't particularly excel on the PP, in fact he's probably been better on the PK...he can make a good first pass when he's not being forechecked too hard, but when he's rushed he just gets rid of it (which is ok for a guy like Gorges or Murray, but not for a guy's who's supposed to be a PMD)

All in all...looks like both teams traded for guys who fell out of favor and needed a new scenery.

The Canucks have some injuries on the backend, so Diaz fits nicely there

Meanwhile the Habs weren't using Diaz and can stand to get bigger, without sacrificing basic hockey ability (Parros) on right wing.

In conclusion...a minor trade which really doesn't need 38 pages of discussion, but...any roster move gets over analyzed here lol

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Diaz can't hit the net these days. He wasn't producing **** and Bergevin had enough.

Sell low....Montreal Always does.

Bourque will get nothing ,they got him beat down as low as you can get ....lost trade huge...another Gomez type deal.

So again,watch what the Flames get for Cammy.

NewHabsEra*

I'm asking myself why the heck did we acquire Weise when we had Tarnasky in the AHL. Aren't those 2 players similar enough to not bother trading for one or the other? Or is the difference that Weise has not been waived yet?

I dont know Weise much but lets hope he is better than Tanarsky lol, the guy is pretty bad, borderline AHLer...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...alot of people don't seem to get that it's not the fact that Diaz was traded that's got some of us upset; it's that he was traded for basically nothing to a team that desperately needed a puck-moving right-handed Dman right now...Bergevin missed an opportunity to either package Diaz with something else for a Top 6 upgrade or at least hold out for more from Gillis than just another 4th line plug...

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Least goals against per-60 minutes... playing half of the season with Murray and Bouillon.

IIRC, his GAA per 60 minutes was the lowest in the league before he got paired with those bums.

This isn't the knowledge that Diaz bashers are looking for. :laugh:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Because for once we discovered/developed a player "for nothing", and when a team absolutely desperate for a RHS defenseman comes along, we unload him for nothing/less than nothing. Had a chance to turn him into meaningful assets at least, but a desperate team actually got the better of Bergevin in this one, lol (poll on main board only says 35-3 Vancouver wins so far). How does that even happen...

Oh well, if the mainboard agrees....:sarcasm:

Seriously, as far as the main board goes all Habs players suck until they get traded then all of the sudden it's: "OMG! Why did Montreal trade that guy! He's so great! Wow, did they ever get pwned!"

The revisionism is hilarious.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lol because of you guys the Canucks fans actually believe they got the Habs fourth best defencemen, can't wait to see their reaction when they put Diaz against the Kings or the Sharks, it's gonna be a glorious moment!
With Emelin playing the way he is, Diaz probably is (or was) our 4th best blueliner. Just shows how bad our blueline is. So I don't know if the joke's on them or on us.
Allows 15 more shots toward his own net than he takes for every 60 minutes he plays. He'll fit right in the system. :laugh: I'll wait to see him since he probably didn't play with good players of the Canucks' fourth line but that's terrible.

Diaz not getting more than a fourth liner back doesn't say as much about Diaz as it does about the majority of NHL GMs.

Almost double the On ice shooting%.
Like I said, it's not that Diaz was great (he wasn't) but he's a whole lot better than Murray.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
With Emelin playing the way he is, Diaz probably is (or was) our 4th best blueliner. Just shows how bad our blueline is. So I don't know if the joke's on them or on us.

Like I said, it's not that Diaz was great (he wasn't) but he's a whole lot better than Murray.

Emelin has been great the last 4 or 5 games.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Filosa on the trade: Diaz relieved to be wanted. Asked if Beaulieu took his place but said simply that Beaulieu is a real good player and deserved a chance. Weise on the other hand looked surprised, shocked.

Weise says he knows Prust, Moen and Daigneault.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Filosa on the trade: Diaz relieved to be wanted. Asked if Beaulieu took his place but said simply that Beaulieu is a real good player and deserved a chance. Weise on the other hand looked surprised, shocked.

Kaberle said the same thing almost in tears when we traded for him and it made a lot of people believe he wasn't a crappy player.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Oh well, if the mainboard agrees....:sarcasm:

Seriously, as far as the main board goes all Habs players suck until they get traded then all of the sudden it's: "OMG! Why did Montreal trade that guy! He's so great! Wow, did they ever get pwned!"

The revisionism is hilarious.

I don't need the mainboard for this one (although there are more than 3 people talking pretty tough when it comes to Diaz, yet I don't see their big balls on display via a vote in that poll yet). The view, outside of those who tried really hard to hate Diaz from the beginning, is incredibly consistent among just about everyone else out there. Anyone who thinks Montreal comes out on top with this one, grow a pair and head to the poll and voice your opinion. I want a list that's easy to find a year or two from now.

And when you see the number and roles of players we get rid of, you can see that there's actually very little revisionism involved - more like surrogate regret coupled with disbelief in the incompetency. Someone just a few posts ago mentioned Montreal selling low. They don't just sell low, they make sure than everyone gets the best possible non-fireable offense bargains possible.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Uh... Bouillon's place was Beaulieu's to win. Or it should have been, under the guidance/control of any kind of competence.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Will be interesting to see Diaz play in the tougher conference.

He is an average 5th - 6th defensemen. He got used more then he should originally in Montreal.

Will never know his true value. All Mtl defense look like crap this year in the defensive zone. And MT is a dolt so no one's value is high

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Again...looking at Diaz's tenure with the Habs. He was a decent player

But I don't know how to classify him...he's not an offensive dman, he's not a defensive dman, he doesn't particularly excel on the PP, in fact he's probably been better on the PK...he can make a good first pass when he's not being forechecked too hard, but when he's rushed he just gets rid of it (which is ok for a guy like Gorges or Murray, but not for a guy's who's supposed to be a PMD)

All in all...looks like both teams traded for guys who fell out of favor and needed a new scenery.

The Canucks have some injuries on the backend, so Diaz fits nicely there

Meanwhile the Habs weren't using Diaz and can stand to get bigger, without sacrificing basic hockey ability (Parros) on right wing.

In conclusion...a minor trade which really doesn't need 38 pages of discussion, but...any roster move gets over analyzed here lol

This is what I go on about. Conventional hockey labels have huge conceptual holes in them.

There is seriously no reason not to consider Diaz, given the way he has played the past two seasons a defensive defenseman who relies on positioning and shot blocking rather than being physically imposing. He doesn't do it the conventional way, well who cares if it gets results.

Does it make any kind of sense to call the guy you can play against reasonably good opposition and not get scored on much even if you don't score much yourself an offensive/puckmoving defenseman while calling the guy you shelter the crap out of and gets scored on constantly the defensive defenseman? At a certain point labels have to do business with what is actually happening on the ice rather than some platonic hockey ideal of what a body type and skillset stereotype you into.

This is what Diaz is. A guy that can consistently make safe, high-percentage plays that won't cause any disasters even if he has no flash to him. He's more like Gorges is on a good day than he's at all like Yannick Weber.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
...alot of people don't seem to get that it's not the fact that Diaz was traded that's got some of us upset; it's that he was traded for basically nothing to a team that desperately needed a puck-moving right-handed Dman right now...Bergevin missed an opportunity to either package Diaz with something else for a Top 6 upgrade or at least hold out for more from Gillis than just another 4th line plug...

That sums up the feeling quite right and If I may add, there's also the fact that MB did another meaningless move with very little chance to cause anything out of the ordinary. We're patient all right, but at some point, when it becomes clear that this GM's vision is over a quarter century, we'll get the pitchforks.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a press release that Weise is a “winger with a physical style of play who brings additional toughness and grit to our group of forwards.â€

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Diaz just didn't show lot of improvement since is concussion... Still I would of guess Diaz had a bit more potential value than than a fringe NHL 4th liner, I would of like to see MB get a extra 5th or 6th round pick from Vancouver or at least a conditional pick if he resigned... That being said Weise is probably fit perfectly on the 4th line.

He got something for Diaz but I don't feel he maximize the return... RH PMD are a lot more hard to find than 4th line grinders... Kind of player that could be had on waiver...

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013

Diaz is, in terms of results, like Gorges, a low event defensive defenceman who's good at shot blocking efficiency and on the PK.

I think Diaz might be slightly better (mostly because Gorges cratered more without Diaz than Diaz without Gorges) but it's hard to say( because I'm not sure who is worse to have as a Partner between Emelin when he came back from injury and everyday Murray).

Diaz getting similar results but with a playing style that means he takes less abuse than Gorges might very well mean he'll be effective longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad