Claimed off Waivers: [VAN] Jimmy Vesey claimed off waivers by the Canucks from the Maple Leafs

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Vesey reminds me of Johnny Malkin. Not necessarily "bad" at anything, but also not "good" at anything. He's always just sort of... There. Doesn't really bring anything to the table aside from having a pulse. Personally, I would prefer every player in the lineup to have at least one thing that they're very good at, even if it's just board work or faceoffs or skating. I won't miss Vesey at all

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
upload_2021-3-17_12-57-5.jpeg

Reactions: Barnaby and Love

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Against the Jets last week, Conner and Ehlers scored a beautiful 2-1 goal but if you watched the play it was entirely on Vesey.

Vesey circled up high with the puck and gave it to Holl who took it down the wall and behind the net. Vesey has got to realize he's covering for the defenseman in that situation. Instead, he just books it from the point and goes to the slot. Then the puck goes the other way and it's a two-on-one all the way.

Sauce, one-timer and it's in the net.

It was terrible awareness and there was no excuse for it. Coaches hate that and it was probably the final straw.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I mean, Vancouver fans have seen him play against them this year and he probably did nothing memorable in those games. All of his goals this season were put on platters by Nylander too so he really hasn't even scored a toughie yet. TBH I don't miss him and I'm also not mad he stayed in the division

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
This really reads to me exactly like a cheaper version of Pearson
He might be better than some other options on Vancouver, I don't know the whole roster well but on the Leafs he made every line he was on statistically worse and we started using travis boyd as a better option than Vesey. Vesey has a -7.4 Corsi% relative to the rest of the team.... yikes.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
There were a few UFA NCAA hacks who made an impression like Rafalski, St Louis, Belfour, Wheeler, Joe Mullen, Dan Boyle, Oates
Tons of college UFAs make good impressions, because it doesn't mean they aren't drafted players with pedigree.

Gardiner and Wheeler were college UFAs, but they were 1st-round picks, too.

Undrafted college free agents are more rare but even someone like Chris Tanev is a good example of a player who can go undrafted, play college, then jump to the NHL.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
when the leafs were rolling he stuck out like a sore thumb... hope he does better for Van.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they or he himself thought that he might be a fit there. I don't think he would be that much better on a team that's taken a big step back this season.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He's so damn vanilla. He's got some nice hands here and there but he's not gonna be a force by any means

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad