Proposal: VAN / EDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The value's fine, but we don't really need Virtanen. So I don't think I'd pull the trigger.

Puljujarvi in Finland is a future asset for the Oilers. Virtanen would be someone they'd need to pay and play.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The value's fine, but we don't really need Virtanen. So I don't think I'd pull the trigger.

Puljujarvi in Finland is a future asset for the Oilers. Virtanen would be someone they'd need to pay and play.

im so confused edmonton fans keep saying this

its not like you guys have some stacked depth or high end wingers and it would ve a struggle to play virtanen

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

its not like you guys have some stacked depth or high end wingers and it would ve a struggle to play virtanen

We're not one Jake Virtanen away from contending. Would be smart to let JP stay in Europe and increase his value.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
We're not one Jake Virtanen away from contending. Would be smart to let JP stay in Europe and increase his value.

How about maximizing McDavid's value?

Virtanen might be one of the 10 fastest straight line skaters in the league. Just based on that and nothing else, he'd be worth trying out to play next to McDavid.

For a team that has a finite window to get better around McDavid/Draisaitl, you'd think a legitimate NHLer in exchange for magic beans would be something fans would want.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

When you trade for players under contract you need to give them jobs. There are only so many jobs to be had. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Unless Virtanen is a player who is absolutely guaranteed to play an important role, he's just another mouth to feed.

He might be a small upgrade on something we already have, but why bother? The Oilers are fine sitting on Puljujarvi as an asset. He's doing us a favor by going home.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Virtanen might be one of the 10 fastest straight line skaters in the league. Just based on that and nothing else, he'd be worth trying out to play next to McDavid.

For a team that has a finite window to get better around McDavid/Draisaitl, you'd think a legitimate NHLer in exchange for magic beans would be something fans would want.

for the twelve thousandth time, McDavid does not need fast players to play with. He needs smart players to play with. I bet if you shook Virtanen his head would make a noise like three quarters in a tin can. He is not a bright player. He has his virtues but on ice intelligence isn’t one of them.

Dealing JP for a third liner like Virtanen would not be smart. Our lineup is filled with third line guys. We don’t need another one.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Puljujavri with a decent plus for Tanev since Larsson is out long term and we need a top 4 min muncher

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

we are pretty stacked on depth actually we have like 20 forwards who could play in the nhl, the problem is we don’t have any top 6 wingers so adding another guy like Virtanen does nothing for us when we’re already stacked on bottom 6 guys.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Would do this as a Canuck fan. Not a Puju fan, but Jake needs a change of scenery. Baertschi can step into his minutes and upgrade the club.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

I would rather play Gagner over Virtanen in top6, and I don't see anything which would make Virtanen good for a shutdown role.

We both know what "Our guy is much better than your guy, and would fit amazingly on your team, so please please take him" means...

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Huh?

Trade for Virtanen to maximize McD value??????

I guess we had it wrong so far, McD and Drai is not a good match, we need McD and Virtanen....

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the Oilers wanting to be patient to find the right deal, but how much can JP really increase his value while playing in Europe? We already know he is a good Liiga player and Gms are clearly biased towards NA hockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I understand the Oilers wanting to be patient to find the right deal, but how much can JP really increase his value while playing in Europe? We already know he is a good Liiga player and Gms are clearly biased towards NA hockey

Yeah but they can wait on a better offer. Puljujarvi isn't hurting the Oilers playing over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad