Proposal: [VAN/EDM] Kassian and 5th rd. Pick for M. Granlund

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Kassian back to Vancity to toughen up the lineup and Granlund could be used in a more offensive environment like Edmonton where hed produce more. The pick to balance it out

To VAN

Kassian
2019 5th round pick

To EDM

M. Granlund

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think Granlund is the type of asset we want for Kassian. I think the pick is on the wrong side here as well. And if we're trading him, I don't want to trade him to a division rival. Typically I don't care, but Kassian can hurt our players big time. If he's on the move, I hope its out east.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Kassian's a good depth guy for Edmonton. Even if they do trade him no way do they trade him to a divisional rival.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The Canucks are not interested in Kassian. We had him, he couldn't keep himself away from the drink and he was shipped out of town along with a draft pick for Brandon Prust of all people. That ship has sailed - Kassian is not what we need or what we are going to be moving assets regardless of how small for.

Reactions: THE Green Man

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The Canucks got rid of him for a reason. Why would they bring him back at the cost of a useful player? Kassian has all the tools but no toolbox. He's shown flashes throughout his career, but he can never hold it all together. Add that to his off ice issues, well, it's an easy pass.

With his contract, I think the Oilers would be lucky to get someone to take him for free.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
I was looking at defensive zone starts and Granlund has over 70%, seems that he is trusted in the defense.

Granlund has become something of a Swiss Army Knife player, moving up and down the lineup, playing center and wing, doing duty on both PP and PK, and generally attending to whatever chores the coach wants of him.

Unfortunately he's a small Swiss Army Knife with a limited selection of rather feeble blades. He's not particularly fast or dynamic, he's reasonably weak on the puck and plays a passive game, he has a good shot but lacks the shiftiness to make room for himself, and he tends to evaporate in games when either the physicality or pace escalates. His biggest attribute is his hockey IQ...he's a reasonably cerebral player. Probably why he's so adaptable.

A useful player, but he's never going to endear himself to fans, and will always be something of an afterthought. Given how erratic Kassian is it's probably an even trade without the 5th, but Kassian has about 300 times the X-Factor that Granlund has, and thus likely remains the more desirable asset.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Alright Nuck peanut gallery, the veiled alcoholic jokes aren’t cool. By every account he is still sober and has that part of his life together. He’s just inconsistent on the ice, so he’s in the lineup inconsistently.

The other rumbling is with his wife pregnant and him out and about on the road he wants to be closer to her family so she’ll have some baby support. Don’t quote me because this is just a guess but I believe she’s from California.

Reactions: NeverForget06

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Granlund has become something of a Swiss Army Knife player, moving up and down the lineup, playing center and wing, doing duty on both PP and PK, and generally attending to whatever chores the coach wants of him.

Unfortunately he's a small Swiss Army Knife with a limited selection of rather feeble blades. He's not particularly fast or dynamic, he's reasonably weak on the puck and plays a passive game, he has a good shot but lacks the shiftiness to make room for himself, and he tends to evaporate in games when either the physicality or pace escalates. His biggest attribute is his hockey IQ...he's a reasonably cerebral player. Probably why he's so adaptable.

A useful player, but he's never going to endear himself to fans, and will always be something of an afterthought. Given how erratic Kassian is it's probably an even trade without the 5th, but Kassian has about 300 times the X-Factor that Granlund has, and thus likely remains the more desirable asset.

Granlund sounds like Lander. Basically bottom-feeder roster filler. I doubt the Oilers or Canucks are interested in the trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Since the Oilers have in effect released, Kassian, why should the Canucks give up anything for him. Oilers just want to be free from his contract and the cap.
Nobody has released Kassian. Sounds like they told his agent that if they found a trade that works for everyone, to let them know and the Oilers might entertain it. I don't think there is any reason to think that the Oilers are desperate to move Kassian.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Thanks, then what was that report, that Kassian could find a deal with other teams?
If the report is accurate, then it's Chiarelli telling Kassian's agent that he can ask around to other teams to see if anyone wants to trade for Kassian. Seems that Zack might not be happy with his role and icetime in Edmonton.

I'm guessing that Chiarelli is hoping that when Zack's agent calls other teams to see if they are interested and how they would use him, they all say that they would love to have him in their bottom six. Then Kassian might see that it isn't that Edmonton is holding him back, but that no teams think he is a bottom six player.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Alright Nuck peanut gallery, the veiled alcoholic jokes aren’t cool. By every account he is still sober and has that part of his life together. He’s just inconsistent on the ice, so he’s in the lineup inconsistently.

The other rumbling is with his wife pregnant and him out and about on the road he wants to be closer to her family so she’ll have some baby support. Don’t quote me because this is just a guess but I believe she’s from California.

My comments were not intended to be humorous. The Canucks have been down that road, it had its issues that led to a split and the Canucks taking a bath in asset value just to rid themselves of the problem. Granlund isn't a world beater, but he plays all 3 forward positions, can move up and down the line-up and isn't a liability when on the ice. At this point I'm sure Canuck management is past any potential Kassian drama.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My comments were not intended to be humorous. The Canucks have been down that road, it had its issues that led to a split and the Canucks taking a bath in asset value just to rid themselves of the problem. Granlund isn't a world beater, but he plays all 3 forward positions, can move up and down the line-up and isn't a liability when on the ice. At this point I'm sure Canuck management is past any potential Kassian drama.
Actually, I think Benning would probably consider bringing him back if the price was right. He's a GM who values toughness seeing his fondness of players like the aforementioned Prust, Roussel, Gudbranson and Dorsett.

From an asset value standpoint, I think it'd be a decent idea to bring him in if there's a need for a fourth line/13th/14th forward need currently. At this year's trade deadline, Kassian will be a reasonably sought after asset if the Canucks were willing to retain some salary. And I think the Oilers would probably move him there for Gagner if Benning offered retention. Bigger picture, he'd be a rental for four months just to help keep opponents honest, considering the Canucks are in a bit of a youth movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad