Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Alex Biega for David Pope

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Fantenberg has been in concussion protocol and sounds like he's been sick. Which makes it more bizarre why you turf the healthy veteran depth who has been soldiering for this team for years for someone else only because you signed them recently.
For an organization that has talked about veteran leaders and worrying about the locker room, it sure looks hypocritical to move a player who embodies character and leadership. You see how much love the guys had for him when he showed up to practice the other day. The kids I think really miss him.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Doing Biega a favor I guess. However, from what i can tell it was a one way contract, so he's getting paid the same amount either way.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The "favour" or "doing right by Biega" was silly the first time it was typed and still is.

It's justification for a move that didn't have the organizations best interests in mind.
Well.. it saves em $$$ and allows em to go next man up allowing another young player to get an opportunity - in this case Sautner.

It's alright not to remain status quo with your wysiwyg 7/8 dman.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Well.. it saves em $$$ and allows em to go next man up allowing another young player to get an opportunity - in this case Sautner.

It's alright not to remain status quo with your wysiwyg 7/8 dman.
Biega's salary was a drop in the bucket. Sautner is coming up to sit.

Team can't even be compliant on a 23 man roster.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Biega's salary was a drop in the bucket. Sautner is coming up to sit.

Team can't even be compliant on a 23 man roster.
It was a lil more than a drop in the bucket playing in Utica on a one way. ($825K)

Already had Goldy and Baertschi make huge coin down there... Everyone else is around $70K.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It was a lil more than a drop in the bucket playing in Utica on a one way. ($825K)

Already had Goldy and Baertschi make huge coin down there... Everyone else is around $70K.
That's a drop in the bucket in the NHL. This is team who is paying Ryan Spooner $1m a year this year and next. They paid $3.3m for Gagner to play for another teams minor league affiliate. I don't think the money was an issue at all.

Anyways, I just disagree that the cash savings is really an issue.

They're also paying $6m/and an NHL roster spot for Eriksson....the idea this was a cost cutting measure and not the team choosing to run light on D because they're capped out and can't fit a 23 man roster plus them wanting to have the appearance they're developing younger players is something I can't agree with. I also don't think any of the Utica dmen, nor the current 6/7 in Vancouver (Benn and Fantenberg) are better players than Biega is now.

It's not the end of the world, it's just not what I'd have done with the roster.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That's a drop in the bucket in the NHL. This is team who is paying Ryan Spooner $1m a year this year and next. They paid $3.3m for Gagner to play for another teams minor league affiliate. I don't think the money was an issue at all.

They're also paying $6m/and an NHL roster spot for Eriksson....the idea this was a cost cutting measure and not the team choosing to run light on D because they're capped out and can't fit a 23 man roster plus them wanting to have the appearance they're developing younger players is something I can't agree with. I also don't think any of the Utica dmen, nor the current 6/7 in Vancouver (Benn and Fantenberg) are better players than Biega is now.

It's not the end of the world, it's just not what I'd have done with the roster.
Well Fanta isn't better than retired Willie Mitchell at the moment with the concussion thing.

Reactions: 420Canuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Fantenberg has been in concussion protocol and sounds like he's been sick. Which makes it more bizarre why you turf the healthy veteran depth who has been soldiering for this team for years for someone else only because you signed them recently.

Jeez, I assumed Fantenberg had cleared concussion protocol before the Biega trade was made. This makes that move even more mind-numbing.

Fantenberg was cleared to play as of the season opener. He missed Monday's practice due to illness.

Reactions: timw33

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

I think the cost savings has to do not with saving money, but the cap.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The "favour" or "doing right by Biega" was silly the first time it was typed and still is.

It's justification for a move that didn't have the organizations best interests in mind.

Understand your point, but there is an argument that player loyalty will be enhanced by them treating fringe players well. He was popular with their team mates, and he really wasn't going to be much of a difference maker this season, and certainly not long term. The only thing that suffers is Uttica.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Understand your point, but there is an argument that player loyalty will be enhanced by them treating fringe players well. He was popular with their team mates, and he really wasn't going to be much of a difference maker this season, and certainly not long term. The only thing that suffers is Uttica.
Well we do lose a contract slot on a ECHLer.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
“Not much of a difference maker” pretty much encompasses 1/2 the roster.

Do you think enhancing the view to fringe players matters? They didn’t need to give one away for an ECHLer. They get overpaid and term here. They’ve enhanced it enough.

Healthy scratching Loui and parking Sven and last year Gagner, in the minors probably takes away any of that perceived enhancing anyways.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Sautner is on his way up for the umpteenth time.....I suspect all he'll be able to do is cement his reputation as an AHL-NHL 'tweener.... and will serve the Canucks right if their blueline is felled with its annual scourge of injuries, and meantime Biega is playing a depth role in Detroit.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Only in Vancouver are people still pissing and moaning about a trade like this.
It's because you don't give away good D depth when you've had a recent history of injuries on the back end and you're trying to make the playoffs.

Reactions: I am toxic

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Only in Vancouver are people still pissing and moaning about a trade like this.

The only thing that would make this get more complaints in Vancouver is the general manager's history. General managers generally get some period where there is a benefit of the doubt to be given and good general managers earn further benefit of doubt.

If your statement is true it means that only in Vancouver is there such a recent history of nonsensical moves not in the best interests of the organization.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

yep, it's not just biega and not just the popular or fringe guys. the team has been loading the roster with guys with 1 way contracts and nhl expectations knowing that prospects may displace them. that whole situation needs to be managed carefully and consistently. i think they've done that.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's because you don't give away good D depth when you've had a recent history of injuries on the back end and you're trying to make the playoffs.

that reminds me of the arguments against waiving corrado. recall nobody here even accepted the explanation of benning at that time that he was giving corrado a chance elsewhere because he was no longer in their plans. for years we had to listen to arguments he didn't understand how to paper players. after years of benning doing the same thing multiple times, at least most people now accept he is doing this as a favour to the players. and that's a good reason. this is real life for the players not a video game. go watch the video of commodore talking about babcock in the around the league thread for an example of how players feel about being kept around as a depth piece when not in their plans. the wings gave him a million dollars but they buried him at a point in his career he felt it was his last shot. he was the same age as biega.

bottom line, i don't understand why the canucks moved on from biega, but if they did that, i respect them giving him another chance instead of holding onto him as a depth piece. the guy went through walls for us, so i do not for a second begrudge giving him a shot in detroit instead of hanging on for the meaningless slightly higher return he might bring or as a belt and suspenders depth piece. if, down the road, that means that with two right side dmen hurt we dress rafferty or chatfield or move someone over instead of biega, i think if we really are a playoff team we can handle it. i also think we're more likely to be a playoff team making moves this way.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
These examples make no sense in relation to your argument. Ryan Spooner was bought out specifically to save money and free up cap space. Gagner was traded for him, largely because a trade which didn't return an equivalent salary would have been impossible, and that trade actually saved a small amount of money even before the buyout. You're referencing a series of moves that saved money at every step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->