Proposal: Van Cap Dump Proposals

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Awful deal for the Canucks to give up a second for an expiring contract. They are not contending anyways. Just let them expire.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
lol. the buyout period is done/

also sutter at 3.375 probably still needs an asset to dump

the 1st one is possible, but what if ferland comes back?

At the end of the day, the Canucks can put any 2 of Benn/Baertschi/Eriksson/Sutter down in the minors and get 2 Million cap relief.......all I am saying is that it is not urgent.........we are only over 1.5 Million.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
At the end of the day, the Canucks can put any 2 of Benn/Baertschi/Eriksson/Sutter down in the minors and get 2 Million cap relief.......all I am saying is that it is not urgent.........we are only over 1.5 Million.

i think your math is slightly off....

the team is 15/6 when they need to be 14/7

If you promoted an ELC to the team you are over roster by one player and be more like $2.45M over the cap and needing to unload a forward

You could trade Virts outright for pick and prospects

you might be able to do Ferland LTIR

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For any teams that are lucky enough to have cap space but aren't competing next season.

full

gives

Sutter ($4,375,000 1 year)
2021 2nd

or

Baerschi ($3,366,666 1 year)
2021 2nd

or

Ferland ($3.5 mil 3 years, most likely LTIR or retiring)
2021 2nd
Linus Karlsson
Guillaume Brisebois

Any takers?

Real dollars:
Sutter: $3.5m
Baertschi $2.4m
Ferland: who knows, lots of risk over what the real $'s will end up being

I don't think teams are going to pay $2.4m - $3.5m for a 2nd round pick this season.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
To LA: Loui Eriksson, Sven Baertschi, Brandon Sutter, Vasili Podkolzin, Olli Juolevi
To Vancouver:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Vancouver in no way is in Cap trouble...........

Ferland to LTIR puts the Canucks in the black by Approx. 1,900,000 Cap to spend
Baertschi Buyout puts the Canucks in the black by Approx. 100,000 Cap to spend
Sutter with $1,000,000 retained gives the Canucks about $3,375,000 Cap to spend + a small asset return

Just to name a few ways

2 of the 3 are in totally within Benning's control without giving anything up

None of these are in Benning's control.

The buyout period is over. Baertschi will be getting buried in the AHL. By all accounts, Ferland's camp wants to give playing another go. If he passes the physical, he's on the team. It's not an auto-LTIR, so the Canucks will need to have the cap space allocated to be cap compliant on day 1.

I think you can trade Sutter, but you still need a partner.

Benning's lack of cap management, evident to anyone for years, has come back to bite him.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Didn’t the Canucks only play a handful of games towards the end of the playoffs where they actually had both Boeser and Toffoli in the lineup? Not being able to bring Tyler back sucks because he was a good fit and signed a decent contract, but overall he didn’t have mine of an effect on the Canucks’ season. I’m hoping they look at giving Gaudette an extended look at RW next to Bo, I think he’s got the offensive ability to succeed there.

Yeah I agree with you, he only played 10 regular season games and 7 post-season games and the team did just find before he arrived. I'm just wary of the drop from his positive impact plus Jake's breakout, to a potential decline from Jake and... Sutter's the #3 RW, and that would be a big hit in depth (agreed with Gaudette as 2nd RW but the 3rd line would also take a hit in terms of offense and that is giving me second thoughts).

Hopefully Podkolzin shows up next season and Jake has a strong season so this is all a moot point.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
To LA: Loui Eriksson, Sven Baertschi, Brandon Sutter, Vasili Podkolzin, Olli Juolevi
To Vancouver:

Thanks but no thanks. Hate to sound like a broken record but we'd be happy to just let those bad contracts expire instead of giving sweeteners. Would be happy to do business e.g. for one of those contracts with some retention though (e.g. if Lias is penciled in as the #3 C but the team isn't sold on him and won't play Byfield there, could retain a million and trade Sutter to you guys).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad