Proposal: Van Cap Dump Proposals

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
For any teams that are lucky enough to have cap space but aren't competing next season.

full

gives

Sutter ($4,375,000 1 year)
2021 2nd

or

Baerschi ($3,366,666 1 year)
2021 2nd

or

Ferland ($3.5 mil 3 years, most likely LTIR or retiring)
2021 2nd
Linus Karlsson
Guillaume Brisebois

Any takers?

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Canucks have been set back this year anyway with the offseason losses. I'd rather not trade futures (would take more than suggested) to get out of these 1 year deals. Just let those top two expire and buy out Eriksson next year. Or pony up for an Eriksson dump next year.

What's the point in creating cap space now? Free agency is practically over and Van didn't make space for a very fair Toffoli deal so what's the incentive now?

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Id rather bury Baertschi and Eriksson, LTIR Ferland ar the seasons start, and stand pat.

If a team has a comparible bad contract at a different poisition, I'd love to hear a proposal for those guys though.
I can see LE and Baertschi getting buried in Utica, that makes us compliant with a 21 man roster. I think most team will run with less that the standard 23, especially if it’s a condensed season. Have to think teams will have a few taxi squad guys to pull from.

best case is Ferland is healthy and ready to go, he is exactly what we need in the lineup. Unfortunately I agree with you and think he is done. Too bad, because I think that was a great signing at the time.

Reactions: David71 and Cogburn

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver must be confident that Ferland is going to LTIR and Baerstchi is going to the minors since they had the chance to fix their cap with Virtanen originally going to arbitration.

Seems silly that they would try and trade away cap space with assets now...but if they are willing to give out a 2nd for a year of Sutter, Ottawa would say sure

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Nothing seems to exciting. With a year remaining, better to keep the players and keep the pick.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Canucks have been set back this year anyway with the offseason losses. I'd rather not trade futures (would take more than suggested) to get out of these 1 year deals. Just let those top two expire and buy out Eriksson next year. Or pony up for an Eriksson dump next year.

What's the point in creating cap space now? Free agency is practically over and Van didn't make space for a very fair Toffoli deal so what's the incentive now?

Right now, the only reason is the possibility of signing Hoffman. But you're right. the value of that cap space has diminished because all the UFAs we could have taken advantage of the discounts on are gone.

Would you have done any of these trades 2 weeks ago then?

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Benning effed up the cap... but I actually think Sutter not only does not have negative value (is that a triple negative?) but actually has positive value. RH defensive centre, takes tough matchups, savvy vet leader. And this is the last year of the contract. Baertschi, Ferland, and Eriksson are the cap dumps that you need to attach picks to.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Right now, the only reason is the possibility of signing Hoffman. But you're right. the value of that cap space has diminished because all the UFAs we could have taken advantage of the discounts on are gone.

Would you have done any of these trades 2 weeks ago then?
I would have been okay with the Sutter deal if it meant keeping Toffoli, but I'm pretty sure Benning said he wouldn't give out sweeteners for his bad contracts so this was always the only outcome. I think they want to make sure they have enough space for a very important off-season next year.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
For any teams that are lucky enough to have cap space but aren't competing next season.

full

gives

Sutter ($4,375,000 1 year)
2021 2nd

or

Baerschi ($3,366,666 1 year)
2021 2nd

or

Ferland ($3.5 mil 3 years, most likely LTIR or retiring)
2021 2nd
Linus Karlsson
Guillaume Brisebois

Any takers?
Doubt it. Why take on a bad contract for a 2nd round pick? Just wait until the deadline to make a deal with your cap space vs doing one of these sub mediocre proposals.

Let Vancouver pay the majority of these contracts out and still get at least as good an offer much later in the process.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I can see LE and Baertschi getting buried in Utica, that makes us compliant with a 21 man roster. I think most team will run with less that the standard 23, especially if it’s a condensed season. Have to think teams will have a few taxi squad guys to pull from.

best case is Ferland is healthy and ready to go, he is exactly what we need in the lineup. Unfortunately I agree with you and think he is done. Too bad, because I think that was a great signing at the time.

21 man roster might be closer the standard to start the year then a full 23 man roster, I agree.

If Ferland is good to go, fantastic! But I don't think (based on what I've seen and read) that he is likely. I'm not an MD, I don't have access to insider information, but his very short return in the play down round didn't exactly negate my position either.

Reactions: BCNate

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
No thanks to paying assets to dump players at this point.

There was a time to make that decision earlier in that offseason, where there was the potential to make those moves to allow Benning to improve the roster for the next few seasons. The team elected not to do that.

This season has effectively become a "what do we have" season, where the team hopes that Demko, one or more of the defensive prospects, and possible a forward prospect will prove themselves to be real players. Moving from Markstrom to Demko was always about short term pain for long term gain.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Vancouver in no way is in Cap trouble...........

Ferland to LTIR puts the Canucks in the black by Approx. 1,900,000 Cap to spend
Baertschi Buyout puts the Canucks in the black by Approx. 100,000 Cap to spend
Sutter with $1,000,000 retained gives the Canucks about $3,375,000 Cap to spend + a small asset return

Just to name a few ways

2 of the 3 are in totally within Benning's control without giving anything up

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Sutter with $1,000,000 retained gives the Canucks about $3,375,000 Cap to spend + a small asset return

Just to name a few ways

Canucks haven’t had the option to buyout baerstchi since the first window closed. They don’t have the option to buy anyone out anymore. The 2nd window closed already. So it’s just ferland ltir or a trade

Reactions: voxel and zcaptain

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I kinda feel if Detroit was going to take a Dump, We could probably do better than a #55-64th pick in 2021.
So I would probably say no.

That said. IF Vancouver can sign Hoffman cheap or something like that. If I were them, I would package a 2nd+3rd at least to make that happen.

Reactions: voxel

Nov 1, 2011
Benning effed up the cap... but I actually think Sutter not only does not have negative value (is that a triple negative?) but actually has positive value. RH defensive centre, takes tough matchups, savvy vet leader. And this is the last year of the contract. Baertschi, Ferland, and Eriksson are the cap dumps that you need to attach picks to.

Ferland is either worth his contract or LTIR.

Baertschi and Eriksson are your guys to dump. Wouldn't bother with dumping Baertschi as he only has one year left... finding a taker for Eriksson could be very tough.

Reactions: David71

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Id hold onto these duds and if by the deadline can trade Sutter or Baertchi for a pick then do it. Erikssons dump just aint appetizing to any team, no way thatll happen so we can forget about it cause just aint worth adding a high pick or prospect.

Ride out Bennings mistakes for two more years. Sad but true, Hughes and Petterssons ELC wasted but is what it is

Reactions: Didalee Hed

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Sutter at 4.4 as a 3C with a flat cap definitely doesnt have positive value

Nate Schmidt went for a 3rd.......

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Just to name a few ways

lol. the buyout period is done/

also sutter at 3.375 probably still needs an asset to dump

the 1st one is possible, but what if ferland comes back?

Reactions: voxel

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
lol. the buyout period is done/

also sutter at 3.375 probably still needs an asset to dump

the 1st one is possible, but what if ferland comes back?
Bra’. You are a Leafs fan. You know that the players banished to Robidas Island never come back, even if they yap about the island’s existence.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Just bury Sven and Loui and take the 2 * $1.075 million in cap space to get back under the cap and be done with it.

Miller - Pete - Jake/ Brock
Pearson - Bo - Brock/ Jake
Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen
/Hawryluk

Hughes - Myers
Edler - Schmidt
(2 of Juolevi/ Benn/ Rafferty)

Demko
Holtby

The 2nd and 3rd RW depth may take a hit going from Toffoli and a career season Jake, to current Jake and Sutter. Doesn't seem that bad though given how the transition D probably gets better. I'm cautiously optimistic if anything.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Micheal Ferland, at the very least, needs to sit out the whole season. It's crazy that he keeps getting cleared to play. I'm still p.o.'d that Thatcher Demko had to get on an airplane (after saying he didn't feel well enough to travel) b/c the doctor & management didn't take his words of concern seriously.

That being said, I wonder if a cap-strapped team like Tampa Bay would be interested in Ferland if he goes on LTIR for a whole season? Or if the Canucks are able to make a late free agent signing?

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Lol makes no sense for the Canucks to do this now. Seems obvious that Ferland will start the season on LTIR if not be done for the whole season.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The 2nd and 3rd RW depth may take a hit going from Toffoli and a career season Jake, to current Jake and Sutter.

Didn’t the Canucks only play a handful of games towards the end of the playoffs where they actually had both Boeser and Toffoli in the lineup? Not being able to bring Tyler back sucks because he was a good fit and signed a decent contract, but overall he didn’t have mine of an effect on the Canucks’ season. I’m hoping they look at giving Gaudette an extended look at RW next to Bo, I think he’s got the offensive ability to succeed there.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No thanks to paying assets to dump players at this point.

There was a time to make that decision earlier in that offseason, where there was the potential to make those moves to allow Benning to improve the roster for the next few seasons. The team elected not to do that.

This season has effectively become a "what do we have" season, where the team hopes that Demko, one or more of the defensive prospects, and possible a forward prospect will prove themselves to be real players. Moving from Markstrom to Demko was always about short term pain for long term gain.

I’m sure he tried

Nobody woukd take a Eriksson without a big sweetener.

The only realistic buy outs were a Eriksson and Suter...they needed to be $4M or more for this buyout window

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->