Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks sign Jayce Hawryluk (1 year, $800k, two-way)

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
You'll love his hustle and compete level but he has trouble staying healthy, pretty decent speed as well.
Zadorov nearly killed him.

Had decent hopes for him to be a 3rd line PK guy, capable of 10-12 goals and 30ish points.
He will need to continue to work on things to ever chase down that expectation.

Needs to be disciplined and work to his strengths of being a good forechecker and just general pest to play against.
Still young enough to turn it around.

Thanks for the overview. If he can be a good forechecker, high energy and competent defensively, he might be exactly what the Canucks have been lacking in their bottom 6.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
In Ottawa he kicked ass at his role. Was hoping he’d be back. Leads me to suspect there was something else other than on ice play going on(?)
Pure speculation. Looks a like a good pickup.

Reactions: Grantham

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I dont quite get it cause they have many players of his type who are better. But maybe this means Virtanen is getting moved?

theres a chance if virtanen wins the arbitration hearing if gives a free buyout (no cap hit) and its believe they will use it on Sutter which will then leave us a centre short. Hawyrluk can also play centre so IF Sutter does get let go he will play 4th line centre beagle moves to the 3rd. If that doesn’t happen he just stays in our 4th line as per plan.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
In Ottawa he kicked ass at his role. Was hoping he’d be back. Leads me to suspect there was something else other than on ice play going on(?)
Pure speculation. Looks a like a good pickup.
I seem to remember him getting sent to the ECHL a couple years back because of conditioning or attitude issues (or maybe something else all together).

Maybe there are some personality issues with this player?

Maybe a Panthers fan has more info.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
theres a chance if virtanen wins the arbitration hearing if gives a free buyout (no cap hit) and its believe they will use it on Sutter which will then leave us a centre short. Hawyrluk can also play centre so IF Sutter does get let go he will play 4th line centre beagle moves to the 3rd. If that doesn’t happen he just stays in our 4th line as per plan.

Have you looked at our cap situation for next year? I don’t think buying out Sutter is an option.

We’d save a couple mil this year, but once you factor in a replacement player, it’s about 1.5mil. Then, it will cost us about 1mil next season.

We’d be better off just keeping Sutter at this point, we’ve in even a worse cap situation next year having to re-sign all of Pettersson, Hughes, Virtanen, and Gaudette. At this point Edler will be walking for sure unless we can trade away Beagle / Roussel, every bit of cap will count next year.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

No way in hell is Beagle playing 3C over Gaudette lol

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You'll love his hustle and compete level but he has trouble staying healthy, pretty decent speed as well.
Zadorov nearly killed him.

Had decent hopes for him to be a 3rd line PK guy, capable of 10-12 goals and 30ish points.
He will need to continue to work on things to ever chase down that expectation.

Needs to be disciplined and work to his strengths of being a good forechecker and just general pest to play against.
Still young enough to turn it around.

Yup, back when Z still hit.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Have you looked at our cap situation for next year? I don’t think buying out Sutter is an option.

We’d save a couple mil this year, but once you factor in a replacement player, it’s about 1.5mil. Then, it will cost us about 1mil next season.

We’d be better off just keeping Sutter at this point, we’ve in even a worse cap situation next year having to re-sign all of Pettersson, Hughes, Virtanen, and Gaudette. At this point Edler will be walking for sure unless we can trade away Beagle / Roussel, every bit of cap will count next year.

There's a legitimate option to buy out Sutter now, and Eriksson next summer (the latter should be done regardless).

Only issue with buying out Sutter, in my mind, is that it leaves the canucks with effectively no centre depth should they encounter injury down the mjddle (which they will, at some point).

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
There's a legitimate option to buy out Sutter now, and Eriksson next summer (the latter should be done regardless).

Only issue with buying out Sutter, in my mind, is that it leaves the canucks with effectively no centre depth should they encounter injury down the mjddle (which they will, at some point).

I disagree, buying out Sutter gets us no further ahead. I’ll say it again, have you looked at our cap situation next season? It’s horrendous... We can’t be adding dead cap space. Trading him with retention is a much better option, or just keeping him this final year.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Obviously if you can trade him with retention that's preferable, but I don't see anyone acquiring him for a cap hit over $2m.

And as mentioned, the canucks are light on centers.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Stats on the sens say otherwise
Your going by stats on a team that was pumped up only because they were playing mostly AHL players on the bottom 6.

Also I don’t see Hawryluk beating out anyone on Vancouvers bottom 6 for a job, nor do I believe he’s better then Motte or MacEwen hell I’d even take Baertschi or Bailey over Hawryluk.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think the team would ideally want all of Motte, MacEwen and Hawryluk to make the roster (that might be a solid 4th line if Motte can handle 4c duties).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
No way in hell is Beagle playing 3C over Gaudette lol

Gaudette as far as I know in the past season as a sample size, he is worked out ok as a right winger. Of course they will and also should see how Gaudette does over an extended period of time as a centre IF a centre spot opens up.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Gaudette as far as I know in the past season as a sample size, he is worked out ok as a right winger. Of course they will and also should see how Gaudette does over an extended period of time as a centre IF a centre spot opens up.
Last season, Gaudette was our 3C. He didn't play much wing from what I recall.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
There are better players available for cheap, I would have went for a guy like Athanasiou.

This guy is an ok player though.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Your going by stats on a team that was pumped up only because they were playing mostly AHL players on the bottom 6.

I don't get this, are you trying to tell me he only made the bottom 6 because Ottawa dressed a bunch of bottom AHL players in their bottom 6? doesn't that even make it more impressive that he was able to even post points as a bottom 6 guy with a bunch of AHLers then?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Good little player. If he was a bit bigger, a bit stronger, a bit faster, or a bit more skilled, he would almost certainly be an everyday NHLer, and maybe even an above-average one. As it stands, he will need to bring more if he wants to be a regular on a good team but he can definitely fill in with some degree of versatility.

Sounds like Tyler Motte, I'll take two more please.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I am confused as to why Sens didn't at least give him a qualifying offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->