Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks sign Jack Rathbone to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade, just wondering if that guy was serious with the "best D prospect in college hockey"?
Best D prospect in college hockey may be a stretch, but he is a legit prospect. PPG and top 20 in NCAA scoring as a sophomore D is awfully good. He checks a lot of boxes for us in terms of style of play, and isn't far from being NHL ready.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Or any of another dozen or so names that I can think of off the top of my head. The comment just caught me off guard and was wondering if I was missing something?
There aren't a dozen better D prospects in college hockey. I'd say he's probably top 5.

Reactions: gianni

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Oh for sure that’s York or Miller.

Bernard Docker, Farrance, Perunovich and Mitchell are up there too - most if not all of them ahead of Miller, imo.

Rathbone seems to be up there, though... although unequivocally stating he's the top college D prospect is bold.
Lasy year?
Umm no

"Prospect" is about projection, not performance, and if its purely performance, Mike Lee, Ryan Shea, and a bunch of other guys suddenly enter the argument

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
There’s a 3 year age difference. York is the highest projected prospect on D in college. Rathbone should be a great addition but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

I never said rathbone was
York and Miller may project better, but neither were one of the better prospects in the NCAA last year for defenseman.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Boom, best d prospect in college hockey. Canucks left side set for next 10 years.

Don't count your eggs before they hatch. New York Rangers fans once said this about Hobey Baker winner Matt Gilroy, who produced at a slightly better rate in the NCAA than Rathbone. Just sayin'

latest

Reactions: CanuckCity

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
There’s a 3 year age difference. York is the highest projected prospect on D in college. Rathbone should be a great addition but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

Its actually 2 year age difference, Rathbone born in 1999, York in 2001.

The way I look at it, If Cam York produces over ppg in his draft + 3 year, then is kinda what Rathbone did.

York is a 1st rounder who was the top dog at the US national development program. The fact that Rathbone is in the conversation to be compared to him speaks volume.

I'll say Rathbone is up there with Perunovich, Farrance as best offensive D in college.

Perunovich probably most dominant last year in college.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Don't count your eggs before they hatch. New York Rangers fans once said this about Hobey Baker winner Matt Gilroy, who produced at a slightly better rate in the NCAA than Rathbone. Just sayin'

latest

When did Matt Gilroy produce at a better rate than Jack Rathbone? When he was 24yo vs Rathbone at 19/20yo?... At age 21, Gilroy's first season in the NCAA, he scored 8pts in 36gp vs Rathbone's 31pts in 28gp. And from age 22-24, Gilroy has never been over a ppg in the NCAA, even as an overager.

Last edited:

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Well they have a superstar LD in Hughes and now a really good prospect with legit top 4 potential. Hard to hold it against them for being excited. Vancouver hasn’t exactly had a deep list of young star D in their history.
Our history of D has been pretty solid #2-3 guys but never a #1 like Quinn and having another young guy coming up makes up happy for once!

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I never said rathbone was
York and Miller may project better, but neither were one of the better prospects in the NCAA last year for defenseman.

If they project better, they're better prospects. What you're arguing is that Rathbone is currently the better player.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Good signing for the Canucks.

If they can get Tryamkin to come back they could have themselves a nice,young D-core.

Edit: Didn't realize Tryamkin signed in the KHL this year. Maybe next time.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Rathbone is really good. Canucks’ near future is looking really strong, although I don’t really see where Toffoli fits long-term. Just have to get out of those Eriksson, Ferland (sad story there), and Myers-type contracts without accumulating any more before they really make an impact.

Miller-Pettersson-Podkolzin
Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser
Toffoli-Gaudette-Lind
Lockwood-MacEwan-Virtanen

Hughes-Tanev/Rafferty?
Rathbone-Woo
Juolevi-Stecher

Markstrom
Demko
DiPietro

Ad

Upcoming events