Claimed off Waivers: [VAN] Canucks claim Travis Boyd off waivers from Maple Leafs

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don’t know why but I always thought Vesey was sub 6’. I remember the off-season drama of wanting him on the Devils and I was choked when he signed with the Rangers. The way people talked him up , he was going to be a 25g top 6 player.
I remember that. He would have been way better off if he had just signed with the Predators, the team that drafted him, and joined them during the playoff race when his college season ended.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I remember that. He would have been way better off if he had just signed with the Predators, the team that drafted him, and joined them during the playoff race when his college season ended.
I don't know that he would be any better off at all had he just signed with Nashville, as you suggest.

It's always possible that he might have stuck with the Predators and could still be with them on their NHL roster: that's true.

He might also have been buried in the minors, and might never have earned the nearly $7-milllion USD he's earned to date. He would also have missed the chance to play in the Big Apple and to enjoy control over his playing destination for the start of his career.

How would anyone possibly know what might have been had he chosen one path and not the other?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Is there any reason Buffalo didn't claim him? He'd probably be the second best C on their roster at this point (or best depending on how Staal is playing/not playing) and actually has demonstrated good offensive instincts in limited minutes with 4th liners for a few years now. A lot like Mathieu Perreault before he cemented himself as an NHLer

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
NotinBesgke
So he doesn't play too slow? Cause thats what Beagle do.
Funny how since beagles been out our pk has gone to shit? He is an excellent 4th line centre who has like 90% defensive starts allowing the other centres to take easier minutes. He would be a regular on majority of teams 4th lines.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
That’s better than Beagle and maybe Sutter.
No, no he wouldn't. If this guy was a top 5 faceoff guy with a track record of 30 points, he wouldn't be a league minimum waiver wire fodder. If all the gms were polled the results would be 100% for Beagle and Sutter.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
For some reason any player who scores between 0-30 points over 82 games is a replaceable pleb to half the posters here.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
For some reason any player who scores between 0-30 points over 82 games is a replaceable pleb to half the posters here.

Because they zero in on the 1-2 Carter Verhaeghe home run signings that happen per year and ignore all the teams stuck playing ahlers in bottom 6 minutes for prolonged periods of time

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don't know that he would be any better off at all had he just signed with Nashville, as you suggest.

It's always possible that he might have stuck with the Predators and could still be with them on their NHL roster: that's true.

He might also have been buried in the minors, and might never have earned the nearly $7-milllion USD he's earned to date. He would also have missed the chance to play in the Big Apple and to enjoy control over his playing destination for the start of his career.

How would anyone possibly know what might have been had he chosen one path and not the other?
Well Nashville promised that they would put him in the lineup if he signed with them, and the fact that they didn't make any moves at the trade deadline was in part due to wanting to have space for Vesey, who they thought would jump into a bottom 6 role for them. He likely was promised a starting spot for the next season as well (which the team he signed with - the Rangers - gave him), and Nashville would have also had more reason to try to develop him, since they spent a draft pick on him.

IMO his game fit in pretty well with what Nashville had, and he likely would have been developed better, along with getting valuable playoff experience during their run that year.

Edit: Also, even if he did spend some time in the AHL, like let's say around half a season, that could have been more valuable for his development than playing a bottom 6 role to start his career off in the NHL.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
No, no he wouldn't. If this guy was a top 5 faceoff guy with a track record of 30 points, he wouldn't be a league minimum waiver wire fodder. If all the gms were polled the results would be 100% for Beagle and Sutter.
I don't give a shit about what other GMs think, most GM's in the NHL are morons.

Beagle is pretty bad, it would be tough for Boyd to be worse than him. Sutter may be slightly better.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Well Nashville promised that they would put him in the lineup if he signed with them, and the fact that they didn't make any moves at the trade deadline was in part due to wanting to have space for Vesey, who they thought would jump into a bottom 6 role for them. He likely was promised a starting spot for the next season as well (which the team he signed with - the Rangers - gave him), and Nashville would have also had more reason to try to develop him, since they spent a draft pick on him.

IMO his game fit in pretty well with what Nashville had, and he likely would have been developed better, along with getting valuable playoff experience during their run that year.

Edit: Also, even if he did spend some time in the AHL, like let's say around half a season, that could have been more valuable for his development than playing a bottom 6 role to start his career off in the NHL.
Whats the source of your knowledge?

What makes you think Nashville promised to put Vesey in the lineup if he signed with them?

How would you know that Nashville thought Vesey would jump into a bottom-six role for them?

If you're not an insider, I suspect this is all in your imagination.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Whats the source of your knowledge?

What makes you think Nashville promised to put Vesey in the lineup if he signed with them?

How would you know that Nashville thought Vesey would jump into a bottom-six role for them?

If you're not an insider, I suspect this is all in your imagination.

With the chance highly-touted prospect Jimmy Vesey could become a free agent in April after his senior season at Harvard ends, it appears the Nashville Predators are ready to add him to their roster as soon as possible.
"We have a spot for him," general manager David Poile told ESPN Radio in an interview Tuesday, suggesting he could start on a line with Ryan Johansen. The 22-year-old was drafted by the Predators in the third round of the 2012 draft, and was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award last season.
David Poile says Predators 'have a spot' for Jimmy Vesey

According to Poile, Vesey informed Predators assistant general manager Paul Fenton prior to the Feb. 29 trade deadline that he would sign with Nashville, which influenced the team's direction at the time. Fenton expanded on this particular point during a Tuesday appearance on Sportsnet's "Hockey Central" program, saying that he met with Vesey on Feb. 8 during the Beanpot tournament in Boston.
“I spoke to him directly after the consolation game at (TD Garden) outside the locker room, and asked the player three times if he was signing with us,” Fenton said. “I said that I realized he was in a tough position here, that I was asking him this, but we needed to know from a lineup standpoint and from our trade deadline plans as to what he was going to do. And we would not fill his spot, because we believe that he had top-six potential to play for us, and I was told that."
Jimmy Vesey's advisers dispute Predators' claims

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->