Claimed off Waivers: [VAN] Canucks claim Travis Boyd off waivers from Maple Leafs

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Is he actually still in the league? Dude is not good at professional hockey

graovac played surprisingky well for us last year as an injury call up then got hurt. has not had a sniff since. looks like boyd just bumped him down the depth chart.

Reactions: David71

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Compared to overpaying for the services of Beagle and Roussel, yeah, I think Boyd is pretty underrated. He actually drives some offense in limited minutes, too. Vesey is also an under-the-radar defensive player in a bottom-6 role, which is very different from his old reputation as a no-defense guy with middling shooting. Both have utility for no asset cost. I think both count as good moves.
I thought Vesey was mainly a goalscorer with above average size/physicality

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Would like to see Dubas offersheet Demko 6.5 x 5 in the offseason. Likely gets matched but will make things much more interesting with Petterson and Hughes also expecting massive pay days.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
What are the pros and cons of Boyd Leaf fans?

He works hard and could be useful in the playoffs, doesn't seem like in a tight checking series that he'd shy away. He's got decent hands, speed and shot. He scored a beautiful toe drag goal this season. Good 4th liner who can chip in and can play Centre and RW.

Cons are, the longer he stayed in the line up the less effective he became and the more he begun to make bad plays and turn the puck over quite often.

Reactions: crazychimp

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I thought Vesey was mainly a goalscorer with above average size/physicality
I don’t know why but I always thought Vesey was sub 6’. I remember the off-season drama of wanting him on the Devils and I was choked when he signed with the Rangers. The way people talked him up , he was going to be a 25g top 6 player.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
That’s better than Beagle and maybe Sutter.
No, no it's not. 32 out of 32 GMs would blow their load for Sutter, Rousell or Beagle for the 650k Boyd gets paid.
I look forward to watching the shit show that will happen with Sutter, Beagle, Pearson out. Maybe it will give all the yahoos who don't understand the value they bring.

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
I predict Boyd being traded back to Toronto at the deadline for 7 th round pick. He is great playoff style player on the forth line or as depth in case of injury

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Given we are down all of our centres, this move happened at the right time. Pretty sure if there was a warm body on waivers today that could play C, we would have taken them too.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Did they not change the rule? The team that waived the player gets first dibs?
Maybe @mouser or someone else who knows the CBA better than I do could answer this.

I thought that after Vesey and Boyd were claimed by Vancouver, the whole waivers process would start fresh from the bottom up if Vancouver were to place either or both of them on waivers again.

If Toronto were the only team to put in a claim, the Leafs could then send the player down to the taxi squad without going through waivers again. Otherwise, a team below them would get priority, and a claim from a team above them would prevent them from sending him to the minors without actually clearing waivers.

Right or wrong, that's my basic understanding of it.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Did they not change the rule? The team that waived the player gets first dibs?
Never was a rule, still not.

If Vesey is put on waivers, it's normal waiver process. Toronto has to wait their turn in the priority line. Only catch is if Toronto is the only team to put in a claim, they can send him to the minors (as essentially on that point every team had would have passed on him as an NHL player - just like a normal waiver clear)

EDIT: @The 6ix got it above

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Never was a rule, still not.

If Vesey is put on waivers, it's normal waiver process. Toronto has to wait their turn in the priority line. Only catch is if Toronto is the only team to put in a claim, they can send him to the minors (as essentially on that point every team had would have passed on him as an NHL player - just like a normal waiver clear)

EDIT: @The 6ix got it above
I think that was the change I was thinking of. On a reclaim, they can send the player to the minors, instead of having to keep him up in the NHL. Thanks for clarifying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad