Claimed off Waivers: [VAN] Canucks claim Travis Boyd off waivers from Maple Leafs

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Everyone is missing the point that Loui Eriksson couldn't even cut it as a 12th forward and Canucks picked up waiver claims to fill the spot.

I really want to know what is wrong with Loui, my gut says that first goal he scored in the first game in a Canucks uniform against his own team, gave him the YIPS.
He gave up when they told him he wasn't going to be playing with the Sedins, getting free points.

Reactions: Morrison

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
lol i knew he would probably get claimed but hilarious its Vancouver again. i liked him but truth is he doesnt make our lineup when its healthy

Reactions: Morrison

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lol i knew he would probably get claimed but hilarious its Vancouver again. i liked him but truth is he doesnt make our lineup when its healthy

probably not ours when healthy either. not counting ferlund, we have four forwards on injury reserve or ltir, 15 forwards on our active roster, plus graovac and eriksson on the taxi squad.

either management is desperately shuffling the deck chairs in a final effort to make the playoffs and save their jobs, or they are about to be sellers in quantity and are preparing the ground.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
probably not ours when healthy either. not counting ferlund, we have four forwards on injury reserve or ltir, 15 forwards on our active roster, plus graovac and eriksson on the taxi squad.

either management is desperately shuffling the deck chairs in a final effort to make the playoffs and save their jobs, or they are about to be sellers in quantity and are preparing the ground.
yeah if they need warm bodies or are selling that makes sense. could be placed back on waivers who knows

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
eriksson is getting old now and to be fair to him he was given no chance at the beginning of the season to find his legs or take on a role. you play any 35 year old once every two weeks in random fill in assignments with unfamiliar line mates and see how they do.

It's not just this year, he's been 'bad' since that first game.

Reactions: Leaftors
Feb 19, 2018
Vesey was purely a quarantine cheap option that worked out perfectly due to Pearson’s injury. Boyd is an actual pickup as Vancouver’s scout have liked him and all have watched tape on him specifically.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's not just this year, he's been 'bad' since that first game.

obviously he's been terrible relative to his contract from day one, but he has been a serviceable bottom 6 winger until this year who easily "made the team" on merit.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

I hope so. I want Brandon Sutter gone like yesterday. And w/ Vasili Podkolzin coming soon, I wouldn't be surprised if Jake Virtanen, Antoine Roussel, etc are made more available.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Boyd has actually always been so underrated to me. Certainly has top-six skill/talent and puts up points (at the AHL and NHL level), in limited ice time (at the NHL level). For whatever reason, he just hasn't been able to consistently stick in lineups. I think it could be the physical aspects because all of the other tools, talent, and production are there.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
couple good pick ups for Van.

Pettersson Pearson Beagle Bailey all injured, Eriksson is done and Michaelis is not an NHL player.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
The biggest thing here is both Boyd & Vesey are on 1 year deals. The Canucks are soon to be shedding some of those horrible dead weight contracts. They can likely resign guys like this for cheap deals... not to mention they will have some experience with the team already.

If they turn out of course..

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Boyd has actually always been so underrated to me. Certainly has top-six skill/talent and puts up points (at the AHL and NHL level), in limited ice time (at the NHL level). For whatever reason, he just hasn't been able to consistently stick in lineups. I think it could be the physical aspects because all of the other tools, talent, and production are there.

He doesn't really drive offense, he's just pretty good at maintaining it once it's set up. He can't be the best guy on his line, Spezza did the bulk of the work on most of his points this year. That's not to say he doesn't deserve credit for them, his finishing ability is a pleasant surprise for a bottom-6er.

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
The biggest thing here is both Boyd & Vesey are on 1 year deals. The Canucks are soon to be shedding some of those horrible dead weight contracts. They can likely resign guys like this for cheap deals... not to mention they will have some experience with the team already.

If they turn out of course..

No guarantee either of them will want to sign with Vancouver, but it can't hurt to try.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I could see a backroom deal here. Vesey and Boyd were pushed out but still should be in the NHL. So Leafs and Nucks make a deal where they claim them and if the leafs have injuries pilling up 1 of them gets waived and reclaimed by the Leafs. Kind of a win win, Vancouver gets help in their bottom 6, Leafs get to have a spare getting NHL games.
There's no way to assure the Leafs that the waived player would still be available to them.

They don't get first dibs.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Ah, too bad. I liked Boyd, he's shown to be an effective 4th liner, albeit disappearing at times. Maybe now there's some credence to that rumor to the leafs asking about glendening. Oh well, enjoy Boyd van city, he's a likeable player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad