Claimed off Waivers: [VAN] Canucks claim Travis Boyd off waivers from Maple Leafs

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Underrated player. Not a bad move for Benning (who's now likely to keep his job), and the Canucks have actually played well enough to get back into the playoff hunt. It's a nice, sneaky little way to "buy" players like Vesey and Boyd while upgrading the bottom-6 without any lick of draft compensation. Some Leafs fans may laugh, but both of them do count as upgrades when considering the dead weight that they often played at the start of the season.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Canucks need some healthy players with injuries starting to pile up. Not a ton of options for short term fixes due to the quarantine rules. This is a pretty "Meh" move, but nothing wrong with cheap, free depth.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Had a couple decent games with the leafs. Pretty useless for the most part. He can get more ice in Vancouver which could help

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
With Galchenyuk in and a healthy lineup. I think most would agree that our 12 best forwards are playing. Boyd and Vesey were the extras at full strength and waiving them clears the deck to bank cap space and roster room for a forward or two. That said, I would have preferred to keep both on the taxi squad. An injury away from the return of Nic Petan at full health. :(

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Boyd is good depth. On a bad team he plays every day in the bottom 6. On a good team, he can shuffle in and out of the lineup as needed without missing a step.

Hope the Leafs can re-sign him in the off-season.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Underrated player. Not a bad move for Benning (who's now likely to keep his job), and the Canucks have actually played well enough to get back into the playoff hunt. It's a nice, sneaky little way to "buy" players like Vesey and Boyd while upgrading the bottom-6 without any lick of draft compensation. Some Leafs fans may laugh, but both of them do count as upgrades when considering the dead weight that they often played at the start of the season.
Meh....Underrated?...he's averaging about 3 goals and 10 points a year (to date)?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I’ve liked what I’ve see from him. Should easily replaced Sutter or Beagle.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Meh....Underrated?...he's averaging about 3 goals and 10 points a year (to date)?

Compared to overpaying for the services of Beagle and Roussel, yeah, I think Boyd is pretty underrated. He actually drives some offense in limited minutes, too. Vesey is also an under-the-radar defensive player in a bottom-6 role, which is very different from his old reputation as a no-defense guy with middling shooting. Both have utility for no asset cost. I think both count as good moves.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Has got some skill for sure. Not an overly good skater considering his size. All in all a pretty good claim.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

This made me laugh I'll be honest. If Vancouver waives Boyd again aren't the Leafs able to re-claim and send him to the minors?

That is a myth that persists.

If Toronto is the only team to put in a claim, then they get send him to the minors without additional waivers. But if Vancouver were to waive him, 1) every team below Toronto in the standings would have priority and 2) if a team above Toronto also put in a claim, he would have to stay on the main roster or need waivers again to go down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->