Proposal: Van and NYI

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Of course you don't.

It's basically Strome for a 3rd round pick.

Imho it's not exactly that simple. Strome is highly likely to picked as I feel the Isles are likely to go 8-1 with the expansion leaving Strome on the outside, even if they go 7-3-1 he might not make that 7.
This is getting an asset for a expansion eligible forward likely to be lost and replacing him with a lesser version but also less likely to be picked in either protection scenario while on the outside.
So it's lose Strome for nothing to Vegas or to Vancouver for a 3rd and a replacement level forward

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Imho it's not exactly that simple. Strome is highly likely to picked as I feel the Isles are likely to go 8-1 with the expansion leaving Strome on the outside, even if they go 7-3-1 he might not make that 7.
This is getting an asset for a expansion eligible forward likely to be lost and replacing him with a lesser version but also less likely to be picked in either protection scenario while on the outside.
So it's lose Strome for nothing to Vegas or to Vancouver for a 3rd and a replacement level forward

Or you call another team who'd likely offer more for Strome.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Eriksson is an awful contract. No one is taking that on for anything of value.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
To be fair Granlund has played pretty well when I've watched the Nucks this year. And I'm a Flames fan who hates the Nucks and is super upset about that trade now.

He's been alright in the offensive zone—opportunistic.

Just an absolute liability in his own end and in any sort of puck battle.

I'd like to see better than alright with that sort of one way play.

Granlund like Baertschi have been quite aggressive this season, getting into the nitty gritty area's, not just perimeter types.

Granlund actually has some sneaky speed, he's been great this season with untapped potential still and he could crack 20 goals this year, not bad for a 2nd/3rd liner making 900k per.

I actually prefer we keep Grans unless it's in package deal to get a better top 6 scorer.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Why do people keep making this dopey argument?

Absolutely no one will be traded below their market value because of the expansion draft. No one, except players with NMCs a team doesn't want to protect (like Fleury).

Why? Well, because it's extremely stupid.

Let's say Strome is unprotected. You can trade him for a bag of crap (and then lose someone else); this will leave you with a bag of crap, no Strome and two holes in your lineup.

Or they could let Strome get picked; this will leave them without Strome and one hole in their lineup.

Which one sounds better to you?

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015

Absolutely no one will be traded below their market value because of the expansion draft. No one, except players with NMCs a team doesn't want to protect (like Fleury).

Let's say Strome is unprotected. You can trade him for a bag of crap (and then lose someone else); this will leave you with a bag of crap, no Strome and two holes in your lineup.

Or they could let Strome get picked; this will leave them without Strome and one hole in their lineup.

Probably the one in which you trade him for granlund and a 3rd. Because you get a pick and still only have one hole in the lineup

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
1zKJX.gif

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Alright. Losing players for nothing has never been my game plan but sure whatever there buds. The name of the expansion game for teams already in the league is trying to acquire these outside looking in players in these types of deals. But ok. I didn't realize we had a used car salesmen here with Ryan Strome as his best vechicle on the lot.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Alright. Losing players for nothing has never been my game plan but sure whatever there buds. The name of the expansion game for teams already in the league is trying to acquire these outside looking in players in these types of deals. But ok. I didn't realize we had a used car salesmen here with Ryan Strome as his best vechicle on the lot.

Every team in the league is guaranteed to lose someone for nothing in the expansion draft. All of them. Every team. One person each. No matter what.

Making it into two losses is moronic.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Every team in the league is guaranteed to lose someone for nothing in the expansion draft. All of them. Every team. One person each. No matter what.

Making it into two losses is moronic.

It makes sense if you're trading a 2nd goaltender, or a 4th defenseman in a 7-3 protection, for a forward you intend on protecting.

But "let's trade Strome for a 3rd or else Vegas will take him!" is beyond stupid.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
It makes sense if you're trading a 2nd goaltender, or a 4th defenseman in a 7-3 protection, for a forward you intend on protecting.

But "let's trade Strome for a 3rd or else Vegas will take him!" is beyond stupid.

It is, because it also is too short sighted to see the other team's perspective as well.

So the other team trades a draft pick for Strome and protects him. Who are they going to unprotect? Most teams are already leaving a player they don't want to lose open to Vegas.

For that reason I'm predicting a VERY slow deadline and a VERY busy draft day for trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->