Value of Rasmussen?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Rasmussen doesn't have the discernible value a player like AA does. He's a relative unknown at this point. I doubt anyone wants to give a potential top 4 D for him at this juncture and the wings are better off watching the player develop and deciding if they want him or they want to sell higher.

That's one thing we've wanted KH to do, sell high on players and not over wait their value. That's kinda why I'm fine with an AA trade, but also don't NEED to see him moved.

Last edited:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Exploring the Option of Trading Michael Rasmussen

The article mentions players like Gostisbehere, Hamilton, and Pesce. I wouldn't mind that at all assuming the add (assuming we would have to add) isn't significant. I doubt any of the teams would be interested in a deal like that though. I do think if we can get a young D for Ras, I would do it.

You're not getting someone like Gostisbehere for Ras, we would have to add something on top.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Rasmussen would have more trade value if he never played for Detroit this year. Until you play in the NHL if you are a high draft pick your potential is "unlimited"

Reactions: Reddwit

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Rasmussen may never reach the potential Detroit saw in him when taking him 9th overall. But if he does, it will take another 2-3 years at minimum. I don't see the need to deal him right now...or for that matter, to deal any draft pick within a year or two of selecting them.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Rasmussen doesn't have the discernable value a player like AA does. He's a relative unknown at this point. I doubt anyone wants to give a potential top 4 D for him at this juncture and the wings are better off watching the player develop and deciding if they want him or they want to sell higher.

That's one thing we've wanted KH to do, sell high on players and not over wait their value. That's kinda why I'm fine with an AA trade, but also don't NEED to see him moved.

yeah the Wings made their bed with Rasmussen for better or for worse

time to wait and see how he develops in the NHL

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rasmussen is on the Franzen career path. not much production but steady defence and corner-play and puck protection learning at Bottom6.

When this adjustment period is over after 1-2 seasons, then he moves to Top6 and will start his demolition man days.

Like, everybody knows that Rasmussen does NOT drive the line. But when these line drivers arrive to our Top9 (read: Larkin, Veleno, 2019 1st pick), he is the guy who compliments their play in a great way.

Then we'll see who the real Rasmussen is and everybody understands that why he was drafted. He is not the main piece, but he is very important piece in the bigger plan.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Chia was fired, my dudes.

Unless another GM out there for is REALLY high on Ras for some indiscernible reason we'd be getting a low pick for him at best. Who is speculating this stuff.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Chia was fired, my dudes.

Unless another GM out there for is REALLY high on Ras for some indiscernible reason we'd be getting a low pick for him at best. Who is speculating this stuff.
I wanted Vilardi on Draft night not saying he is better but even with his injuries I still prefer him

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Ras has been a bit of a roller coaster as a prospect. When he was drafted I was down on him, and didn't like the pick. Then he tore up the WHL Playoffs last year, and he looked like he was going to become a dominant NHL scorer. Then he makes the team this year and all is well, but now his lack of production has me a bit down on him again. I'm cheering for him though, I've grown to like him as a prospect, but I just don't know if the skill is there.

I still think there is potential here, to become a 2nd liner who chips in with some big PP goals. The size is there, and he works hard. The criticisms that I had when we drafted him remain the same. His foot speed is nothing spectacular, and he lacks creativity in his game. Trading him at the moment makes no sense, but if we are strictly talking about what his value is at the moment, he still has first-round value. Do I think whoever ends up with say the 15th pick in the draft would trade that pick for him? Probably not, they'd most likely gamble and try to get a player with better upside.

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
In my opinion you can’t trade Rasmussen, not yet at least. While I agree that his value in a trade would be a late first round pick, I believe that would be because of the willingness of the wings to trade him. His value to the wings is a #9 overall first round pick. I don’t believe he has proven he’s worth that pick, or not worth it. But if you trade him your not going to get another top ten pick, or a player of value to a top ten pick. His most value is seeing if he can develop into his top 10 potential. No one on this message board can say that we know that yet.

Reactions: Ulysses31

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Him and Zadina needs more time to develop. Most important that he is trying hard. I believe he will be much better in 2 years from now

Reactions: Konnan511

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Exploring the Option of Trading Michael Rasmussen

The article mentions players like Gostisbehere, Hamilton, and Pesce. I wouldn't mind that at all assuming the add (assuming we would have to add) isn't significant. I doubt any of the teams would be interested in a deal like that though. I do think if we can get a young D for Ras, I would do it.

I think the premise of the article is just a ways off if they think Rasmussen could be the centerpiece in a deal for those guys, or at least for the first two. If we're dealing Ras and hoping to bring back a top pairing D that can put up points, we'll going to need to see Rasmussen put up a couple more strong seasons where he's controlling the play a bit more and finding the back of the net.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think the premise of the article is just a ways off if they think Rasmussen could be the centerpiece in a deal for those guys, or at least for the first two. If we're dealing Ras and hoping to bring back a top pairing D that can put up points, we'll going to need to see Rasmussen put up a couple more strong seasons where he's controlling the play a bit more and finding the back of the net.
I agree, thats why I was wondering what everyone thought his value was

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I didn't like the pick at the time and he's been pretty much what I've expected: a 4th line center. Not good value at 9 overall but I understand the franchise's infatuation with size above all else.

So I don't see us ever recouping that lost value based on the players available in that spot. Also if we draft a 1C with our first this year we will be set at center for the next 10 or so years.

1C: 2019 first pick
2C: Larkin
3C: Veleno
4C: Rasmussen

Hopefully Yzerman will have better luck at drafting stud defensemen.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I didn't like the pick at the time and he's been pretty much what I've expected: a 4th line center. Not good value at 9 overall but I understand the franchise's infatuation with size above all else.

So I don't see us ever recouping that lost value based on the players available in that spot. Also if we draft a 1C with our first this year we will be set at center for the next 10 or so years.

1C: 2019 first pick
2C: Larkin
3C: Veleno
4C: Rasmussen

Hopefully Yzerman will have better luck at drafting stud defensemen.

I don't see things playing out this way. I'm not sold on Hughes as an NHL center, so I personally will be viewing him as a player more suited for the wing. Similarly, Ras just feels like someone who won't be making the transition to center. The plan was to have him take the same path as Larkin by starting on the wing, but consider that Larkin had a very strong year in his first year on the wing and struggled when picking up the responsibilities of playing center in year 2. Rasmussen has struggled at accomplishing anything this year while playing the wing; I can't imagine he gets to take over center responsibilities until he establishes himself in some form in the NHL.

When the team is ready to start pressing for actual playoff success, I see the center position looking more like this, assuming they can land Hughes or Kakko; otherwise you can replace the UFA slot with Cozens or Dach:

1C: Larkin
2C: UFA/Veleno
3C: Veleno/UFA
4C: Ehn/Turgeon/yet to be drafted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->