Value of Rasmussen?

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by Hammettf2b, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Hammettf2b

Hammettf2b Wings

Exploring the Option of Trading Michael Rasmussen

The article mentions players like Gostisbehere, Hamilton, and Pesce. I wouldn't mind that at all assuming the add (assuming we would have to add) isn't significant. I doubt any of the teams would be interested in a deal like that though. I do think if we can get a young D for Ras, I would do it.

2. Ezekial

Ezekial

Rasmussen doesn't have the discernible value a player like AA does. He's a relative unknown at this point. I doubt anyone wants to give a potential top 4 D for him at this juncture and the wings are better off watching the player develop and deciding if they want him or they want to sell higher.

That's one thing we've wanted KH to do, sell high on players and not over wait their value. That's kinda why I'm fine with an AA trade, but also don't NEED to see him moved.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  3. nb2928

nb2928 Registered User

You're not getting someone like Gostisbehere for Ras, we would have to add something on top.

4. Tiesgo2vets

Tiesgo2vets Registered User

Rasmussen would have more trade value if he never played for Detroit this year. Until you play in the NHL if you are a high draft pick your potential is "unlimited"

Reddwit likes this.
  5. Goalie guy

Goalie guy Registered User

Carpenter
    Maybe a late first? He has more value to us than other teams right now.

6. SirloinUB

SirloinUB Registered User

Seems like we'd be selling low.

gbdet likes this.
  7. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

Rasmussen may never reach the potential Detroit saw in him when taking him 9th overall. But if he does, it will take another 2-3 years at minimum. I don't see the need to deal him right now...or for that matter, to deal any draft pick within a year or two of selecting them.

gbdet and Nightmare on Helm St like this.
  8. ricky0034

ricky0034 Registered User

yeah the Wings made their bed with Rasmussen for better or for worse

time to wait and see how he develops in the NHL

9. Fire Ken Holland

Fire Ken Holland into outer space

Rasmussen+ for Necas plz

10. Tiesgo2vets

They sent Ras to AHL I thought he wasn't eligible for this?

11. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Rasmussen is on the Franzen career path. not much production but steady defence and corner-play and puck protection learning at Bottom6.

When this adjustment period is over after 1-2 seasons, then he moves to Top6 and will start his demolition man days.

Like, everybody knows that Rasmussen does NOT drive the line. But when these line drivers arrive to our Top9 (read: Larkin, Veleno, 2019 1st pick), he is the guy who compliments their play in a great way.

Then we'll see who the real Rasmussen is and everybody understands that why he was drafted. He is not the main piece, but he is very important piece in the bigger plan.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  12. ricky0034

ricky0034 Registered User

just a temporary conditioning exception to the age agreement,he can't stay long just a few games

13. Flowah

Flowah Registered User

Chia was fired, my dudes.

Unless another GM out there for is REALLY high on Ras for some indiscernible reason we'd be getting a low pick for him at best. Who is speculating this stuff.

14. Tiesgo2vets

Oh ok thanks

15. Tiesgo2vets

I wanted Vilardi on Draft night not saying he is better but even with his injuries I still prefer him

16. RedWingzz

RedWingzz Registered User

Ras has been a bit of a roller coaster as a prospect. When he was drafted I was down on him, and didn't like the pick. Then he tore up the WHL Playoffs last year, and he looked like he was going to become a dominant NHL scorer. Then he makes the team this year and all is well, but now his lack of production has me a bit down on him again. I'm cheering for him though, I've grown to like him as a prospect, but I just don't know if the skill is there.

I still think there is potential here, to become a 2nd liner who chips in with some big PP goals. The size is there, and he works hard. The criticisms that I had when we drafted him remain the same. His foot speed is nothing spectacular, and he lacks creativity in his game. Trading him at the moment makes no sense, but if we are strictly talking about what his value is at the moment, he still has first-round value. Do I think whoever ends up with say the 15th pick in the draft would trade that pick for him? Probably not, they'd most likely gamble and try to get a player with better upside.

17. Yooper906

Yooper906 Registered User

In my opinion you can’t trade Rasmussen, not yet at least. While I agree that his value in a trade would be a late first round pick, I believe that would be because of the willingness of the wings to trade him. His value to the wings is a #9 overall first round pick. I don’t believe he has proven he’s worth that pick, or not worth it. But if you trade him your not going to get another top ten pick, or a player of value to a top ten pick. His most value is seeing if he can develop into his top 10 potential. No one on this message board can say that we know that yet.

Ulysses31 likes this.
  18. lilidk

lilidk Registered User

Him and Zadina needs more time to develop. Most important that he is trying hard. I believe he will be much better in 2 years from now

Konnan511 likes this.
  19. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

I think the premise of the article is just a ways off if they think Rasmussen could be the centerpiece in a deal for those guys, or at least for the first two. If we're dealing Ras and hoping to bring back a top pairing D that can put up points, we'll going to need to see Rasmussen put up a couple more strong seasons where he's controlling the play a bit more and finding the back of the net.

20. Hammettf2b

Hammettf2b Wings

I agree, thats why I was wondering what everyone thought his value was

Nightmare on Helm St likes this.
  21. Run the Jewels

Run the Jewels Make Detroit Great Again

I didn't like the pick at the time and he's been pretty much what I've expected: a 4th line center. Not good value at 9 overall but I understand the franchise's infatuation with size above all else.

So I don't see us ever recouping that lost value based on the players available in that spot. Also if we draft a 1C with our first this year we will be set at center for the next 10 or so years.

1C: 2019 first pick
    2C: Larkin
    3C: Veleno
    4C: Rasmussen

Hopefully Yzerman will have better luck at drafting stud defensemen.

22. Hen Kolland

Hen Kolland Registered User

Financial Analyst
    I don't see things playing out this way. I'm not sold on Hughes as an NHL center, so I personally will be viewing him as a player more suited for the wing. Similarly, Ras just feels like someone who won't be making the transition to center. The plan was to have him take the same path as Larkin by starting on the wing, but consider that Larkin had a very strong year in his first year on the wing and struggled when picking up the responsibilities of playing center in year 2. Rasmussen has struggled at accomplishing anything this year while playing the wing; I can't imagine he gets to take over center responsibilities until he establishes himself in some form in the NHL.

When the team is ready to start pressing for actual playoff success, I see the center position looking more like this, assuming they can land Hughes or Kakko; otherwise you can replace the UFA slot with Cozens or Dach:

1C: Larkin
    2C: UFA/Veleno
    3C: Veleno/UFA
    4C: Ehn/Turgeon/yet to be drafted

23. SirloinUB

SirloinUB Registered User

How much production are ya'll expecting from a 19 year old kid playing 12 minutes a night?

Oddbob, Adityase, Reddwit and 2 others like this.
  24. Sparty

Sparty Registered User

Sure feels like Rasmussen is the new Primeau

25. waltdetroit

waltdetroit Registered User

ooops This is just his D+2 year He could be in Juniors