Value of: Value of Jeff Carter (LA)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
His cap hit is already very reasonable.

The issue is how many contending teams have $5m+ in cap space today to add Carter straight up? Then, how many of those contenders that have the space don't have to worry about trying to fit $5m+ of cap space for a forward into their budget for the following 3 season after this one? Toronto and Winnipeg have the space today, but we're already seeing cap constraints there. Boston has some RFA's to sign. I guess Nashville could fit him in, in theory, but they're already good, so they would be dictating the price on Carter. They wouldn't be desperate for him. Probably not getting Tolvanen for him. Unless they got desperate, but they're not there now.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The issue is how many contending teams have $5m+ in cap space today to add Carter straight up? Then, how many of those contenders that have the space don't have to worry about trying to fit $5m+ of cap space for a forward into their budget for the following 3 season after this one? Toronto and Winnipeg have the space today, but we're already seeing cap constraints there. Boston has some RFA's to sign. I guess Nashville could fit him in, in theory, but they're already good, so they would be dictating the price on Carter. They wouldn't be desperate for him. Probably not getting Tolvanen for him. Unless they got desperate, but they're not there now.
If it came to trading him the Kings are 100% taking a lesser cap dump along with a few nice pieces for Carter.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
yes if LA lands Krug it's because they moved one of Muzzin / Martinez , which as Reaper points out, they should!

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
if the kings are out of it by trade deadline, they should sell him. Im thinking picks might be the best idea and try to add youth into that group. Muzzin/Martinez could also be shopped for picks or put with Carter for a care package for a cusp team for picks and prospects.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If it came to trading him the Kings are 100% taking a lesser cap dump along with a few nice pieces for Carter.

A few nice pieces sounds like a lot. A 26 year old Carter brought back a few nice pieces. A 27 year old Carter brought back one nice piece, and at best a decent player. A soon to be 34 year old Carter, coming off an injury to his leg, which may or may not hinder him in some way, on a team that may or may not continue to struggle as the season plays out, I think other GM's would pressure Blake. Looking at what Lombardi traded to get him, when it was clear Carter wanted out of Columbus, it wasn't the largest price to pay. Plus Lombardi was desperate at the time. His job may have been on the line if the Kings don't make the playoffs that year. A lot of different variables there.

My expectations for a return on Carter are the equivalent of what they traded to get him. I think that's the best they could realistically do right now. If we're talking a contender, that's probably a 20-31 pick, and a guy off the roster to make the cap work. Multiple nice pieces for a 34 year old Carter with 3 more years left after this one? That sounds like a lot. Looking at the few bigger trades around the league over the last few years, not many of them involve that old of a player, with that much term left, bringing back a ton.

While Carter's contract does back dive a bit, it's not the same as Hossa or Zetterberg. His contract ends when he's 37, not begins back diving when he's 37. Teams will probably have to account for the $5m cap hit through 2022(assuming no lockout), which makes things more complicated, because cap space/flexibility is so damn important. Plus so many younger players are now getting the giant contracts earlier. That only makes future cap space that much more important.

Reactions: Reaper45

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Does Cheetos have a no trade clause? Can't see him wanting to leave LA

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
If the Isles are still in a playoff position come the deadline, they may make good trading partners (Not just for Carter either) with the Kings.

The Isles already have young key core players producing or projecting into the lineup in the next two years. Adding vets would ensure they experience meaningful games.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
If the Isles are still in a playoff position come the deadline, they may make good trading partners (Not just for Carter either) with the Kings.

The Isles already have young key core players producing or projecting into the lineup in the next two years. Adding vets would ensure they experience meaningful games.
Carter and Martinez for ?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I’d rather the Bruins look at Muzzin and Pearson tbh.

Though Pearson’s numbers this year are rather frightening. What happened to that guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad