Value of Jay Bouwmeester

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
hes like barrett jackman was here. when you dont notice him, its a good thing and when hes at his best.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Definitely want him back. One year is best, he might want two. At $5 million now, his price will have to come down a bit. Maybe 2x$3 million?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Once he healed up, his game really turned around. With his next contract being a 35+ contract, I would be hesitant to give him a multi year deal. But if he will take a one year deal, I'd be ok with that.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I made a thread on the main board about each team's top 10 players and I had Jay Bouwmeester as our 7th best when healthy.

He has been a beast over the last 2 months and Berube is leaning hard on him. JBO's return to full health is a massive reason why the defense has been much better.

I'd be very happy with re-signing him for 1 year.

Reactions: dutchblues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Every year, you evaluate his performance and passion and give him another year if it is warranted.
Yep. Year-to-year basis only.

There's just no reason to give him multiple years just yet. If he balks at it, say "Look Jay, you're just about 36. If you think you can get a 3-year deal on the open market, by all means go ahead and try." But I doubt he gets that lucky. And the Blues would be idiotic to give that to him.

Reactions: 67Blues

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Yep. Year-to-year basis only.

There's just no reason to give him multiple years just yet. If he balks at it, say "Look Jay, you're just about 36. If you think you can get a 3-year deal on the open market, by all means go ahead and try." But I doubt he gets that lucky. And the Blues would be idiotic to give that to him.
I guess it comes down to what other offers he gets and if he gives St Louis a home-town discount. Don't know where his family lives. If he wants to be closer to home (?) might be tough to keep him. Some team would probably give him two years.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I guess it comes down to what other offers he gets and if he gives St Louis a home-town discount. Don't know where his family lives. If he wants to be closer to home (?) might be tough to keep him. Some team would probably give him two years.
The problem is he is one rut away from destroying that hip again.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would offer a rewarding I yr deal, possibly with bonuses and a full NTC. I would prefer this to a multi-year contract.

Reactions: Blueston

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I would offer a rewarding I yr deal, possibly with bonuses and a full NTC. I would prefer this to a multi-year contract.
A good plan. If he were to injure his hip again, The Blues would lose a lot in that case, if he would have a 3 year contract at a substantial rate ($3.5 million plus).

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
He's playing great right now. Still, I hope they move on from him. He has a high probability for injury at this point and I'd like to see Mikkola get every opportunity to be a regular NHLer next year.
Let's see how Jbo looks in the playoffs at the very least. I really hope Armstrong doesn't extend him before we see his playoff performance and see how his body handles the grind of a playoff series or hopefully two, or three or dare I say it ... nah.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
I would bring him back at 1yr 3m deal with an understanding he can come back for another if the level of play is there

I think we just have to move on from Gunner as he cannot stay healthy and a solid Jbow really just strengthens the left side

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He's playing great right now. Still, I hope they move on from him. He has a high probability for injury at this point and I'd like to see Mikkola get every opportunity to be a regular NHLer next year.
Let's see how Jbo looks in the playoffs at the very least. I really hope Armstrong doesn't extend him before we see his playoff performance and see how his body handles the grind of a playoff series or hopefully two, or three or dare I say it ... nah.
What has Mikkola done to deserve that? He still isn't yet a very good AHL defenseman by all accounts.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
What has Mikkola done to deserve that? He still isn't yet a very good AHL defenseman by all accounts.

I've read good reports about his play as a solid stay at home dman. In his first season over here on the Rampage he is second to only kyrou in plus/minus which may or may not mean much. But from the people who watch SA, I have only read good reports. At least one guy who watches the Rampage has written that he is NHL ready.
What makes you say that he isn't a very good AHL defenseman?
I was going by other people's reports because I only saw him play in camp with the Blues. I know that he skates well and that he can play with a bit of an attitude ... not afraid to be physical. I could see that in camp during the scrimmage.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've read good reports about his play as a solid stay at home dman. In his first season over here on the Rampage he is second to only kyrou in plus/minus which may or may not mean much. But from the people who watch SA, I have only read good reports. At least one guy who watches the Rampage has written that he is NHL ready.
What makes you say that he isn't a very good AHL defenseman?
I was going by other people's reports because I only saw him play in camp with the Blues. I know that he skates well and that he can play with a bit of an attitude ... not afraid to be physical. I could see that in camp during the scrimmage.
I think he is pretty good prospect but reports are he has long way to go. JR has spent some time in SA and some time talking to Bannister and also I think MacDonald and Taylor and consensus is he is adjusting to NA game and needs to really improve his puck skills. I know JR isn't great on opinions, but he is generally reliable in passing along what other people tell him on the record. Not to say he won't be good player for us, just that we shouldn't be shipping out people to open up a role for him at this point.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I think he is pretty good prospect but reports are he has long way to go. JR has spent some time in SA and some time talking to Bannister and also I think MacDonald and Taylor and consensus is he is adjusting to NA game and needs to really improve his puck skills. I know JR isn't great on opinions, but he is generally reliable in passing along what other people tell him on the record. Not to say he won't be good player for us, just that we shouldn't be shipping out people to open up a role for him at this point.

Yeah. I saw that "puck skills" concern reported also.
I wouldn't ship anyone out to make room for him either. But JBo would have to be re-signed. I'm not really for that mainly because I'm afraid that would mean at least a 2 year deal. At this point, I think his ability to stay healthy is pretty iffy.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Penguins decimated at defense, probably could of traded Bouw to Pittsburgh for a decent pick.

That pick isn't worth downgrading LD this season and sends the wrong message to guys like Schenn and Pietrangelo who we'll be looking to extend. Bouw is playing huge minutes right now and you'd basically be replacing him with Butler or Del Zotto and forcing either Eds or Dunn into tougher usage.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
That pick isn't worth downgrading LD this season and sends the wrong message to guys like Schenn and Pietrangelo who we'll be looking to extend. Bouw is playing huge minutes right now and you'd basically be replacing him with Butler or Del Zotto and forcing either Eds or Dunn into tougher usage.
Yeah, but is not getting a forward at the deadline sending the same message too? 9 goals last 6 games. We could use a guy up front who knows how to score. If it takes Perron and Schenn time to get back up to speed, this could be bad. If Tarasenko doesn’t score, team really struggles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->