Value of Jake Gardiner to the Jets

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Is the "Free Jake Gardiner" campaign still on going?

I just read in the newspaper last week that they threw the book at Phill Kessel. ...... He was sentenced to the Maximum allowed by the new CBA.... 8 years (Possibly his NHL lifetime sentance.)

Poor Phil .....forced (sentenced) to be a Leaf............;)

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Also I've watched 2 of the first 3 Leafs' games, and Gardiner was the worst player on the Leafs in both games. Guy cannot stay on his skates to save his life, gives away the puck left and right. We don't need another strictly offensive minded defenseman.

I picked this post because it is wrong. Ranger was the worst dman and then Franson, in the defensive zone. Offensively Gardiner has no issues. That said, Trouba has far more value than Gardiner. Gardiner might flourish in a different system, because like me, he probably has no idea what the system is.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
No interest in Gardiner. We have Enstrom, Byfuglien, Postma, and soon to be Morrissey for offensive minded D. We need guys who can help stop pucks from being thrown back at us, as evidenced by last nights "performance".

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I picked this post because it is wrong. Ranger was the worst dman and then Franson, in the defensive zone. Offensively Gardiner has no issues. That said, Trouba has far more value than Gardiner. Gardiner might flourish in a different system, because like me, he probably has no idea what the system is.

Ok this got me chuckling :laugh:

I thought Gardiner was out of this world against the Bruins in the playoffs but I sense he is always going to be getting tortured by Kitty.....It just seems to have that vibe.

Daddy Longlegs

Aug 6, 2012
As there were talk on the Hot stove about Jake Gardiner, teams are asking about him. Would the jets make a move on him. Personally I think his value roughly a late round 1st to a 2 2nd round pick. I would offer to the jets would be something like this.

To Jets
Gardiner + 2nd round pick + Raymond Mason

To Leafs

Jacob Trouba + J.C Lipon or different prospect

Raymond will add to Jets special teams and help on the wing side of things. Gardiner can be slotted as the 2nd pair out the gate.

The mere suggestion makes me somewhat irate. No thanks.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
As there were talk on the Hot stove about Jake Gardiner, teams are asking about him. Would the jets make a move on him. Personally I think his value roughly a late round 1st to a 2 2nd round pick. I would offer to the jets would be something like this.

To Jets
Gardiner + 2nd round pick + Raymond Mason

To Leafs

Jacob Trouba + J.C Lipon or different prospect

Raymond will add to Jets special teams and help on the wing side of things. Gardiner can be slotted as the 2nd pair out the gate.

C) as well for a wide variety of reasons.

1. Timing- Jets need to start improving right away. Gardiner is a good player but his best years are in the far future. Unless were moving exclusively picks/far away prospects there's no way acquiring gardner is beneficial.

2. Supply/Demand- Gardiner fills the role of an offensive D-man. The Jets currently have two dmen playing this role at a considerably higher level then Gardner already. They also have one prospect with the potential to be as good or better in (Morrissey) and another longshot (Postma). Raymonds value is nil and the 2nd is of low worth to the jets relative to the recent haul in picks last year.

3. Perceived Value- Trouba's our golden boy. Rightly or not he has a massive perceived value to the organization. Probably similar to what leafs fans perceived Gardner's value at two years ago. Gardner two years ago vs Trouba today might be a closer conversation, at least when comparing the relative worth of the two.

So, at best you could make the point that Gardners value to the leafs is similar to the value of Trouba, in which case it's still out of line due to reasons 1 and 2.

The second and raymond and Lipon is unnecessary. If your adding in throw ins in an attempt to acquire a blue chip piece , your better off just not doing it. It's essentially just an admission that the person wants something better then what they have but they don't want to pay for it.

You know Gardners not worth Trouba. You also know Raymond's not really worth anything (if he signed out of an invite, he's replaceable in FA), and while the 2nd does hold some value, that diminished due to circumstances (the 2nd is worth more to other teams then to the jets).

No deal, and there's not even the basis for a deal going forward. Your selling what we don't need and asking for what we won't sell.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I just asked some Leafs fans and they'd really prefer Kane + Scheifele + another prospect to even it out.

Kane, Scheifele and Byfuglien are all worth more than Gardiner by themselves. He's a 23 year old #4/5 tweener that is pretty good offensively but with serious questions about his game. There is a reason Toronto is trying to move him. He's going to be a decent NHLer, but I doubt he's ever more than a second pairing guy.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Kane, Scheifele and Byfuglien are all worth more than Gardiner by themselves. He's a 23 year old #4/5 tweener that is pretty good offensively but with serious questions about his game. There is a reason Toronto is trying to move him. He's going to be a decent NHLer, but I doubt he's ever more than a second pairing guy.

psst.... I think he's kidding.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
That said, Trouba has far more value than Gardiner. Gardiner might flourish in a different system, because like me, he probably has no idea what the system is.

We don't have a system here so I don't think that would work. In all seriousness though, if the Jets have one untouchable it is Trouba.......not for any price.

I think something like Postma, Stuart and Sutter for Gardiner would be more to my liking ;)

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
To suggest the Jets would trade Trouba at this point has got to be the most insane thing I have ever read on HF. I'm sorry but I don't know how else to say it :help:

And keep in mind I wasted a good deal of the last few years lingering in the Coyotes megathreads...

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
One of the Leafs reporters was interviewed today on 1290 and even he thought the most the Leafs could get for Gardiner is a 2nd round draft pick.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Jets have Toby and Morrissey on the horizon. IMO, I don't think they have any interest in trading for Gardiner, and definitely would not include Trouba in such a deal.

Jets need a C who is defensively sound in the d-zone, win 50+% of their face-offs, and can put up 50 pts or more - guys like ROR, Steen or Stastny, who may be available - but won't be using Trouba to get it, either.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
One of the Leafs reporters was interviewed today on 1290 and even he thought the most the Leafs could get for Gardiner is a 2nd round draft pick.
This I agree with.

We don't "need" Gardiner. I love how Leafs fans usually over-evaluate their players (not saying the OP necessarily but in general).

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets have Toby and Morrissey on the horizon. IMO, I don't think they have any interest in trading for Gardiner, and definitely would not include Trouba in such a deal.

Jets need a C who is defensively sound in the d-zone, win 50+% of their face-offs, and can put up 50 pts or more - guys like ROR, Steen or Stastny, who may be available - but won't be using Trouba to get it, either.

Definitely. Steen is UFA after the season. He could basically be what we hoped Burmistrov would become. And we could probably sign him for less than a million more than what Jokinen makes. Let that sink in for a bit haha. If STL lets him walk we NEED to go after him or someone like him.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Definitely. Steen is UFA after the season. He could basically be what we hoped Burmistrov would become. And we could probably sign him for less than a million more than what Jokinen makes. Let that sink in for a bit haha. If STL lets him walk we NEED to go after him or someone like him.

Agreed, bhay.

I know Huffer has mentioned this time and time again, almost as much as I've mentioned ROR :D, but adding a guy like Steen would be a very important piece. If available, I would think the Jets would try very hard to land that type of player for the Jets roster. Its an improved Burmi or Olli, in reality, who can play effectively anywhere in the top 9.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Agreed, bhay.

I know Huffer has mentioned this time and time again, almost as much as I've mentioned ROR :D, but adding a guy like Steen would be a very important piece. If available, I would think the Jets would try very hard to land that type of player for the Jets roster. Its an improved Burmi or Olli, in reality, who can play effectively anywhere in the top 9.

If Steen is offered a contract with St. Louis I think he'll snap it up.
Why wouldn't he want to play on a team that is a SC contender?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Agreed, bhay.

I was hoping if I brought it up enough someone would tie my name to it. :yo:

Yes, I would be ecstatic if the Jets could get Steen next year. Defensively responsible player that can play centre AND wing. Has underrated offensive ability, and I think has the character and work ethic that the Jets are looking for.

I would LOVE a guy like ROR as well. You win with guys like ROR and Steen I think. They're like Bergeron types of C's. Maybe not going to get you 100 points, but if you have one or hopefully two, you're in good shape. Both can play on the wing too.

I really like the thought of Steen because if he made it to UFA we wouldn't have to spend an asset to get him.

If Steen is offered a contract with St. Louis I think he'll snap it up.
Why wouldn't he want to play on a team that is a SC contender?

Agreed. There is no indication that he even makes it to UFA. And I definitely am not one of those guys that thinks if he makes it to UFA that for some reason he's coming here because his dad is here.

He probably does get offered a contract from the Blues because I can't see them wanting to let him go.

I just think IF he becomes a UFA, the Jets need to really try to get him. Pull out the stops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad